• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sharing soda at TS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney isn't for everyone. If you're to the point of nickel and diming it like that, WDW is probably out of your budget.

Six Flags is probably nice this time of year.
I totally disagree. The first time I went with my parents it was on a shoestring budget. We stayed at some off site motel 6 type place for $29.99 a night (it was like 30+ years ago) and my parents certainly did not pay the 1980's equivalent of $3 for a soda. But we had a great time. People can, and do, afford to go to Disney by being very very careful with their money.

That said, there is "being careful with your money" and there is stealing. You can stay perfectly well hydrated for free all over WDW with ice water at both TS and QS locations. There are ways to maximize your in-park dining budget and Disney also allows you to bring in outside snacks. You don't have to be willing to drop $3 on a soda to enjoy Disney. You should, however, have the morals to not steal soda from Disney because you want it anyway but you don't want to (or can't) pay for it. I don't even like soda and I guarantee you, it is entirely possible to enjoy WDW without ever spending $3 on a soda.... no need to go to six flags instead.

This coworker sounds like the type of person (who always gets me riled up) that takes the free water cups to soda machines, and just fills it up with soda or iced tea. I hate when I see people stealing like this, and even though it's only a few cents, just pay for a dang cup! I once saw a family at my local Wegman's who was taking "samples" off the hot food bar (which is pay by the pound), and then upstairs trying to fill up their water cups with soda. I am normally a pretty quiet person, but I actually said to the teen girl that was in front of me, you know that's stealing right? She dumped the cup and ran away from the machine!

I can't imagine not just forking over the $3 for the soda as others have mentioned. Whenever DH and I eat out, I usually drink water by choice but will occasionally steal a sip of his soda. I feel like that is one thing, but to blatantly share is cheap. Not to mention, a hassle considering you'll need to pace yourselves and wait for refills.

FWIW - DH and I ate at Liberty Tree Tavern on DDP back in August. DH opted for the all you can eat platter and I got the fish and chips. Our server brought out extra rolls for me and flat out told me that I could feel free to eat whatever I wanted off DH's plate and she'd bring more. I'm sure that's not policy and she was just trying to be a cool server, but it showed me that they likely don't really care about things like that.

“I'm sure that's not policy and she was just trying to be a cool server, but it showed me that they likely don't really care about things like that.”

And this is part of a bigger problem with companies in general. Part of me understands that why would a company/business make a stink about something that cost them cents. But then when it gets around that family X was compensated X amount or was able to “steal” people will take advantage of company/business and next thing you know the ethical customers are “punished” with stuff like RFID chips in their cups.

Disney isn't for everyone. If you're to the point of nickel and diming it like that, WDW is probably out of your budget.

Six Flags is probably nice this time of year.

Six Flags prices are easily on par with Disney for counter service. Except Six Flags (Great Adventures anyways) is extremely strict about no outside food. I've seen them confiscate small children's Teddy Grahams. Disney will let you bring in your own bottle of soda and will even give you a full sized cup of ice if you ask.

I was at Six Flags on Saturday. It's nice if you like zombies. :scared:

Sometimes I might have a sip or two off my husbands soda, just for a taste. I am not really a soda drinker as it's so unhealthy. I don't see it as any different than having a bite of his dessert. I hope that doesn't make me a thief! Splitting a soda and taking full advantage of free refills is tacky though.

...FWIW - DH and I ate at Liberty Tree Tavern on DDP back in August. DH opted for the all you can eat platter and I got the fish and chips. Our server brought out extra rolls for me and flat out told me that I could feel free to eat whatever I wanted off DH's plate and she'd bring more. I'm sure that's not policy and she was just trying to be a cool server, but it showed me that they likely don't really care about things like that.
But then, again, she doesn't own the Liberty Tree Tavern. It's not really hers to give away.

Also in OP post they said “one person orders a soda, shares with others” does this imply that one soda was shared with more than 2 people? :scared:

I believe it was just her and her SO - I hope so at least! As a child/teenager I would have been horrified at the idea of even sharing a straw with my parents and I can't imagine a family with kids sharing all sharing one glass... although I wonder if anyone has ever tried what a PP mentioned, bringing their own cups and splitting it up! When I worked in a movie theater in high school and we had free popcorn refills, I remember seeing lots of families bringing individual paper or ziploc bags, splitting up a bag of popcorn between a whole group of kids/adults then immediately coming back to the counter for their next refill. We had no official rule against it, so couldn't say no, but I remember always wondering at how little some seem to value integrity!

Sometimes I might have a sip or two off my husbands soda, just for a taste. I am not really a soda drinker as it's so unhealthy. I don't see it as any different than having a bite of his dessert. I hope that doesn't make me a thief! Splitting a soda and taking full advantage of free refills is tacky though.

I think that sounds totally reasonable - the difference IMO is that if you're (general you) the reason the drink needs to be refilled, then you should really just be ordering your own!

Isn't this kind of why they went to the RFID-chiped mugs at the resort QS - because people were abusing the drink stations? Not exact, but similar?

It's things like this that make places charge for refills.

The RFID came more because of people bringing back old mugs or even Big Gulp and other non-Disney glasses to use trip after trip. It is still fairly easy to share with the RFID because the lockout is pretty short - I think a minute or two - but you do at least have to buy one mug now.

If you’re worried about the cost of a soda at a TS restaurant in WDW maybe you shouldn’t be eating at TS... better yet why are you vacationing in WDW anyway.

Ah, but that assumes they *need* to be that cheap. For a lot of people, this sort of "extreme frugality" almost seems like a game. They could afford the sodas, but why pay for 2 (or more) if they can scam what they want while only buying one?

When I worked in a movie theater in high school and we had free popcorn refills, I remember seeing lots of families bringing individual paper or ziploc bags, splitting up a bag of popcorn between a whole group of kids/adults then immediately coming back to the counter for their next refill. We had no official rule against it, so couldn't say no, but I remember always wondering at how little some seem to value integrity!

Our movie theatre gives away brown paper lunch bags for that! They introduced them at the same time they started offering the whole menu of crazy flavor toppings, which I really appreciate because there's no way I'm buying two smalls @ $10 vs one large @ $7 just so my kids can have siracha-cheese-ranch popcorn. :rotfl: I guess the popcorn is that low value to them or the time-limited nature of the movie experience is enough of a hedge against extremes, that they're not concerned about the bottom line impact of sharing.

The RFID came more because of people bringing back old mugs or even Big Gulp and other non-Disney glasses to use trip after trip. It is still fairly easy to share with the RFID because the lockout is pretty short - I think a minute or two - but you do at least have to buy one mug now.

Ah, but that assumes they *need* to be that cheap. For a lot of people, this sort of "extreme frugality" almost seems like a game. They could afford the sodas, but why pay for 2 (or more) if they can scam what they want while only buying one?

Our movie theatre gives away brown paper lunch bags for that! They introduced them at the same time they started offering the whole menu of crazy flavor toppings, which I really appreciate because there's no way I'm buying two smalls @ $10 vs one large @ $7 just so my kids can have siracha-cheese-ranch popcorn. :rotfl: I guess the popcorn is that low value to them or the time-limited nature of the movie experience is enough of a hedge against extremes, that they're not concerned about the bottom line impact of sharing.

That's so interesting! The chain I worked for here in Canada actually no longer offers refills on large popcorns, which I've always assumed was because of people taking advantage of them. Even worse than the individual bags was when customers would fold up a previous bag, keep it at home and bring it back the next time they were at the theatre.

I hadn't thought of the multiple flavour aspect though! I'm not sure if we have flavour shakers here? But DH and I would definitely need separate bags if we did!

That's so interesting! The chain I worked for here in Canada actually no longer offers refills on large popcorns, which I've always assumed was because of people taking advantage of them. Even worse than the individual bags was when customers would fold up a previous bag, keep it at home and bring it back the next time they were at the theatre.

I hadn't thought of the multiple flavour aspect though! I'm not sure if we have flavour shakers here? But DH and I would definitely need separate bags if we did!

EEEEEWWWWW!! :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

Our theatres have a whole selection of flavors... that the kids mix and match the same way they do flavors at a soda fountain. There's no way I'm sharing the crazy combos they come up with! The indie place we go to only allows one refill on popcorn and soda, the chain still allows unlimited. Both have smaller bags available for sharing.

EEEEEWWWWW!! :crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

Our theatres have a whole selection of flavors... that the kids mix and match the same way they do flavors at a soda fountain. There's no way I'm sharing the crazy combos they come up with! The indie place we go to only allows one refill on popcorn and soda, the chain still allows unlimited. Both have smaller bags available for sharing.

:laughing: Yes! We used to call that "swamp water!"

My daughter and I often share a soda at a fast food restaurant - order a large and share it but don’t get refills. I would never ever ever consider sharing a soda at a TS restaurant. That is just way to tacky for us.

The chain I go to offers free refills on Larges, but they mark the bottom of your tub (on the outside) when you refill it so it's really only one free refill. Sodas are pretty much unlimited though as it's the stupid freestyle machines and there is no coding on the cups. (I've actually seen people buy a soda but fill it with an icee instead (much higher up the price scale), so...yeah.) But they do limit the popcorn to one refill.

Buying six drinks at table service once or twice a day adds up quick, so we get water. We do buy the refillable resort mugs and that's when we get our Coke fix!

My daughter and I often share a soda at a fast food restaurant - order a large and share it but don’t get refills. I would never ever ever consider sharing a soda at a TS restaurant. That is just way to tacky for us.

I think sharing anything that you aren't expecting refills to compensate for only ordering a single item is always fine! Same as splitting an appetizer or dessert.

Exactly!

My husband is the big soda drinker while I'm not. I'd rather have water with lemon. However, there may be times, I may want a few of sips of his drink during dinner. Even if two people are sharing a soda, it's not a big deal. People share milk shakes all the time. I would only say it's tacky and in poor taste to sit there sharing drinks and asking for refills every five minutes. That's not cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter