Ship model in gift shop?

laurenpetro

Mouseketeer
I saw you can preorder the model of your ship. Are these available in the gift shop as well?

TY!

They should be. I will say that in 3 cruises on the Fantasy, I have never seen them have the ship model in stock. Bad luck I guess.

FYI, the ship model is not of high quality.

I missed out on getting it in 2014 because we didn’t have enough room in the luggage. Fast forward to our cruise in 2017 and I made a vow that it would be coming home with me. I was so excite to walk into the gift shop on our first night and make it mine.

Until I looked at it.

The paint quality was horrendous. It honestly looked like it was brush painted by a drunk monkey. Many of those details were amiss and the work was shoddy. The window painting angle upward away from the windows. Details were splotches with color bleeding into the deck. There were numerous chips in the ship and the display base.

And it was not just one model but everyone they had in the shop looked terrible. Needless to say I was disappointed I wouldn’t get it. But no way was I going to pay $50 for something that looked that bad.

Now, even though I am a scale model builder this was bad no matter what my hobby would be. We have a term for models like this, they are four foot models. That means they look amazing four feet away but once you get up close to look at them, you see how bad it is.

In closing I would suggest you just look real close at it and make sure you are happy with the quality before shelling out some hard earned cash.

Must be the quality has gone down. We got all of our models several years ago and they are beautiful.

I missed out on getting it in 2014 because we didn’t have enough room in the luggage. Fast forward to our cruise in 2017 and I made a vow that it would be coming home with me. I was so excite to walk into the gift shop on our first night and make it mine.

Until I looked at it.

The paint quality was horrendous. It honestly looked like it was brush painted by a drunk monkey. Many of those details were amiss and the work was shoddy. The window painting angle upward away from the windows. Details were splotches with color bleeding into the deck. There were numerous chips in the ship and the display base.

And it was not just one model but everyone they had in the shop looked terrible. Needless to say I was disappointed I wouldn’t get it. But no way was I going to pay $50 for something that looked that bad.

Now, even though I am a scale model builder this was bad no matter what my hobby would be. We have a term for models like this, they are four foot models. That means they look amazing four feet away but once you get up close to look at them, you see how bad it is.

In closing I would suggest you just look real close at it and make sure you are happy with the quality before shelling out some hard earned cash.
What a bummer

We cruised the EBTA on Magic 2 years ago and they were sold out of the ship models. I asked the supervisor and she took my contact info and said she'd have merchandising contact me and send me one once they were back in stock. 2 weeks after we got off the boat, here comes my Magic model!

If it's out of stock, ask!

There 2 different t types of models. There is 1 I want to say is about 30 or 35 dollars and there is a 2nd that is in the 250 range. They both look almost identical in size but there's a big difference in quality and accuracy. I'll have to look at my son's collection since he has all 4 less expensive ships when I get home. I don't remember seeing the issues you saw, but then again something could have changed.

Until I looked at it.

I'm not terribly worried about the quality. it's basically going to be my autistic 7 year old's souvenir from the trip. he's wanted one since he found out about them 2 years ago, lol. and there's NO WAY I'm spending $250 on it! ;)

I do appreciate the heads up to keep my expectations low! thank you!!

Curiousity got me. I just went and looked at one of ours. Here are a couple of photos I just took. This ship was purchased about 5 years ago. Funny, but when you take a photo like this you see the imperfections! I never noticed these before. With the naked eye, you really do not see the missing paint spots. Honestly, ours look quite nice and our kids love them. But, I do see how if you are a serious model collector, you would see errors. The guy who repainted Woody in Toy Story 2 didn't do this ship!20180625_123009.jpg20180625_123621.jpg

Curiousity got me. I just went and looked at one of ours. Here are a couple of photos I just took. This ship was purchased about 5 years ago. Funny, but when you take a photo like this you see the imperfections! I never noticed these before. With the naked eye, you really do not see the missing paint spots. Honestly, ours look quite nice and our kids love them. But, I do see how if you are a serious model collector, you would see errors. The guy who repainted Woody in Toy Story 2 didn't do this ship!View attachment 332450View attachment 332451
Yours actually looks a lot better than the ones I saw in the shop last year

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter