• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Short(er) DVC OKW trip report (long)

pattyoh

Earning My Ears
DH and I have been DVC/OKW since '94. My BIL and SIL have been DVC/VB since 2003. We talked enough about DVC and had them with us on a couple of trips and they were sold. So, this time -- June 5-10, 2005 --we stayed on their points in a 2 bedroom lock-off at OKW. Rooms 3514/13 (room report filed).

DH and I usually don't travel to FL in June, having done so a couple of times and finding it just too unrelentingly hot and humid. SIL is a teacher and this is her time off, so at their kind invitation to share their points, we did so, as we always have a really good time together. DH and I have APs (thanks to that great DVC perq) so tickets are not an issue with us. We got good airfare from Cinn. (actually Dayton -- cheaper by far). BIL and SIL were coming in from Milwaukee. We helped them make arrangements for Magical Express and it turned out to be not magical at all for them. They never got their luggage tags and did call twice. Were told both times they were in the system and would get tags. Not happening. They went to the large room and found it so crowded with people who also seemed not to be having magical experiences, that they decided to hang around the airport and wait for us as we had a car rented. We landed, they phoned, we met them, they had already been in the Disney store buying.

On to OKW. Room ready on check-in. Great! We drove over to unload car and found the rooms were clean and had a lovely water view with fountain and view of 4th hole of LBV. Really nice. I would recommend this location. We went back to Olivia's for a late lunch and had great CM serving us. Good food and experience. We drove over to the Publix to do grocery shopping. Went well. Just breakfast stuff and snacks. Back to OKW. Unpacked groceries and suitcases. Took car over to DD.

Went into Basin and bought glow-in-the-dark soap for grandkids. It is the greatest thing. They love it. Then went over to the Earl of Sandwich and had great sandwiches for dinner. Line moves fast and there were plenty of places to sit in and out. Very good experience. :goodvibes

We went to Epcot twice -- road Soarin' and just loved it. What a great attraction :cheer2: We ate at LeCellier and had a delicious meal. Everything was good. Also ate at Rose & Crown for dinner and Illuminations. Again food was very good, and CM from Nottingham was so very nice. We asked for outside and got that and had a nice view of Illuminations. Went to MGM and saw the new Stunt Show. It was very good and interesting, especially when they show you how the film actually shows after editing. Ate at Primetime while there and had great CM. BIL gave her a hard time, but she gave it right back. I didn't finish my green beans and she brought them back to me covered with whipped cream and a cherry on top. Very colorful. :crazy: Drove over to Celebration one day and ate a very good lunch there (restaurant on corner with view of lake -- corner cafe?)

We played Fantasia miniature golf and had to get a rain check due to a thunder storm. Did use the rain check. It is a fun thing to do. As the week progressed, rain was more prevalent due to the approach of Arlene. We did go to the pool (Turtle Pond) once. It was in good shape and pretty empty. The guys played shuffleboard.

Friday and departure came all too fast. DH took BIL and SIL to airport as their plane left earlier then ours. By this time DH had developed a rather nasty cold/cough (a rerun for him). So when he came back we loaded up and had lunch at Olivia's. Had same very nice CM to wait on us. After that I settled him in with a good book and I took the bus to MK. Just to see what was going on there. I rode the newly refurbished IASW. Looks really good and was so busy looking did not mind the music :flower1: Also rode TTA and found that SM was down and all light were on in there and you could see the whole thing. Interesting. Had my picture taken and went back on bus to OKW. Off to the airport then and the long journey home. (Husband really in a bad way and some plane confusion and -- well, not a pleasant end to a really great week.

Summary -- Great accommodations, lots of good food, Soarin' was excellent, time with BIL and SIL was good -- planning August trip to Hawaii. Negatives -- really hot and sticky, Soarin' could have better system for FP and moving crowds, Magical Express not so magical for us.

Our next trip is in January. GV booked for 7 days at OKW. Kids and grandkids going, too. Still have to book Studio for extra days with DGD. She gets her special time alone with us, just as her brother did a couple of years ago. DH and I will end up being there 11 days. We might have to look for employment! :earsboy: Hope that Magical Express is working better by then.

Pattyoh

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed report of your recent WDW trip. I like building 35 with its u-shape - kind of cozy - & proximity to the bus stop.

I love OKW and #35 is great -- close to bus and the great TP Pool. My kids enjoy the little duckies out back.

Glad you had fun!

xoxo

I am glad you all had a great vacation. We were your neighbors in 3530/3531 lock off 2-bedroom:) Our vacation was fabulous as well. The weather was much cooler the majority of our vacation than I had planned on, so that was a nice bonus. There were a few hot days with no breeze, but other than that it was totally managable. We were in a 1 bedroom 3530 from May 29-June3, and then picked up the studio 3531 to make a 2 bedroom for June 3-10. It was a great room. We watched the EPCOT fireworks right from our balconey when we were home.

I was really sad to leave, so now I am working on our next vacation to ease the going home blues.

Sounds like you had a fantastic time! Did you have trouble getting into restaurants or you had PS arrangements that worked out well?

I am wondering if the food packages are going to make it much more difficult to get into the restuarants at the parks.

Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter