Should DVC eliminate walking?

Also I will be walking every single reservation I ever do until its removed. There is zero reason not to.

Sorry but the 1 min it takes every 5 to 6 days is really nothing. Especially when I can do it in the background while waiting for reports or systems to load at work (or on a train, in a plane, in line, ect).

Exactly and this does not impact anyone. If it does it means you are walking (sorry doesn't matter if its even a single day change).

There is zero reason not to have this. Someone will say "well I can book 4 months with all my points". Sure but now you have all your points tied up in to a single room so it severely limits the number of people walking and lets be honest that is a tiny group of owners.

Except what the other poster posted.

Including both because its the Q/A

No one is being penalized. Wait until the last day of your reservation is bookable and you can cancel away. Started booking the start of your vacation on the wrong day? Sorry should have been more careful either fully cancel or wait until the booking windows moves past your reservation and hope your primary option is still there.

So, say I only book 4 days at first, I then add to it a few days later, and book 7 more...now I have 11 days.

My original reservation was only 4, so when would you I get to drop day one?

Putting limits on canceling any days booked is a penalty. Some may feel it’s worth it, but preventing someone who booked under valid 11 plus 7 rules from modifying that reservation at all until day 8 is definitely a penalty.

Last edited:
Also I will be walking every single reservation I ever do until its removed. There is zero reason not to.

Sorry but the 1 min it takes every 5 to 6 days is really nothing. Especially when I can do it in the background while waiting for reports or systems to load at work (or on a train, in a plane, in line, ect).

I'm pretty indifferent to it all, but I guess the questions that come to mind: if it's really easy to walk, and everyone can do it, then why not just allow walking?

You are right and can do it for every reservation. And if you feel you need to or want to, go for it.

As you said, it’s easy to do, It’s fair and fits the first come first serve notion of DVC.

People complain about walking because they feel it affects availability. So instead we should put a system in place that encourages holding long reservations that people don't plan on keeping? Instead of dates coming back available daily, or at most weekly, you now have dates being held for a month, 2 months, however long. I don't have a lot of points but I could walk a few weeks in a value studio and would gladly do so if needed. I'm not walking multiple reservations at any given time so no loss.

You are right and can do it for every reservation. And if you feel you need to or want to, go for it.

As you said, it’s easy to do, It’s fair and fits the first come first serve notion of DVC.
Walking rewards those who are committed and prepared to do the work. As another example, I could get my family up at the crack of dawn and hustle to DHS to get BGs for ROTR, but I choose not to, which means that other people will get to go on ROTR, but we will not. Just like walking DVC, those people who are prepared to do the work that others are not will get the rewards.

Last edited:

So, say I only book 4 days at first, I then add to it a few days later, and book 7 more...now I have 11 days.

My original reservation was only 4, so when would you I get to drop day one?

Putting limits on canceling any days booked is a penalty. Some may feel it’s worth it, but preventing someone who booked under valid 11 plus 7 rules from modifying that reservation at all until day 8 is definitely a penalty.

The first day of a reservation..... Whenever that day is for the specific reservation number.

You added on and thus would be walking if dropping the start of your reservation.

Walking rewards those who are committed and prepared to do the work. As another example, I could get my family up at the crack of dawn and hustle to DHS to get BGs for ROTR, but I choose not to, which means that other people will get to go on ROTR, but we will not. Just like walking DVC, those other families are prepared to do the work that I am not, and they get the rewards.

Except the park opens at a specific time and then you are randomly put in the boarding groups (from what I understand).

You don't have people randomly checking in for 1 min for 3 weeks prior every few days to get a head start then stroll in at noon to get their boarding pass.

What you described is how the booking is supposed to work.

If walking required some actual work I would agree. All walking requires is you to booking 12, 13, 15, 23 months ahead of your vacation.

The first day of a reservation..... Whenever that day is for the specific reservation number.

You added on and thus would be walking if dropping the start of your reservation.

You didn’t really answer though. Are you saying in this case, day 1 can’t be dropped until day 12?

Trying to understand the practical way when the start of any reservation can be changed.

You didn’t really answer though. Are you saying in this case, day 1 can’t be dropped until day 12?

Trying to understand the practical way when the start of any reservation can be changed.

For a specific reservation until the last day is open to the 11 month booking you can't drop the start of the reservation.

If the last day of your reservation is the 11 month mark you could modify to drop the start of your reservation. If your last day is 11+1 or further out you couldn't drop day 1.

People with a ton of points could in theory still "walk" for however many points they have but it would severely limit people walking or at least how long they can walk.

I don't think walking is that big of a deal or needed for most rooms. I think any solution would be worse than the "problem".

Even if you somehow eliminate walking there will only be 10 AKV Club level rooms. They are always going to be hard to get. If Disney wanted to take a little pressure off these rooms they could try to add Club Level rooms at another resort but so far they have not done so.

For a specific reservation until the last day is open to the 11 month booking you can't drop the start of the reservation.

If the last day of your reservation is the 11 month mark you could modify to drop the start of your reservation. If your last day is 11+1 or further out you couldn't drop day 1.

People with a ton of points could in theory still "walk" for however many points they have but it would severely limit people walking or at least how long they can walk.

Okay. So only at 11 months you’d be locked in to the no change rule? Say I start a reservation at 10 months out from a date, is that allowed To be changed?

So, here is what will happen, People will then book two reservations and just alternate.

Book 1 to 7 nights. Get up on day 5, book a new reservation for another 7 days and then cancel first. 5 days in again, book a new and repeat.

Not as easy, but still a form of holding a room you don’t attend to keep.

My point in bringing up different questions is not to be difficult but to show every situation would have to be considered by DVC and when changing Start day will be allowed.

No easy fix unless they eliminate all modifications Which would be so much worse

I like the idea of allowing a number of changes, if 5 isnt sufficient, make it 10 changes. At least that will put a slight damper on walking something for a few months..... And, 10 changes should really be enough of a adjustment for flights, ect

I like the idea of allowing a number of changes, if 5 isnt sufficient, make it 10 changes. At least that will put a slight damper on walking something for a few months..... And, 10 changes should really be enough of a adjustment for flights, ect

For some, but gotta say, I change things all the time to get what I want. Adjust date, and resorts.

DVC can change things and I guarantee it won’t make one difference. People will still have tons of trouble getting the few rooms that walking affects.

All it will do is let big point holders and creative people to hold more rooms for more nights.

Exactly and this does not impact anyone. If it does it means you are walking (sorry doesn't matter if its even a single day change).

There is zero reason not to have this. Someone will say "well I can book 4 months with all my points". Sure but now you have all your points tied up in to a single room so it severely limits the number of people walking and lets be honest that is a tiny group of owners.

Except what the other poster posted.

Including both because its the Q/A

No one is being penalized. Wait until the last day of your reservation is bookable and you can cancel away. Started booking the start of your vacation on the wrong day? Sorry should have been more careful either fully cancel or wait until the booking windows moves past your reservation and hope your primary option is still there.
Some people make mistakes. Obviously you aren't one of them

I'm trying to understand this example, but I don't. What I come up with either doesn't get affected by the proposed change or "is walking."

If you book a room at X for 6 nights, then want to change it to 6 nights at Y, that is a full cancel and would not be affected by the proposed change.

If you book a room at X for 6 nights, then want to change nights 4, 5, and 6 to Y, that is also allowed because Night 1 is not touched. (in other words, no change).

If you book a room at X for 6 nights, then want to change nights 1, 2, and 3 to Y, this is walking which is what the discussion is trying to eliminate. This reservation change would have booked night 4, 5, and 6 prior to the 11 month window. Options in this case would be to full cancel and rebook 4, 5 and 6 without the walking benefit. Also one could wait until the booking window passes day 6 and partial cancel then. I don't see any onerous problems here. If you don't agree that this constitutes walking, then we are in 'agree to disagree' territory.

Please let me know if I'm missing something.
I want to go Dec 1 to Dec 8 in a VGF studio. On Jan 1 on log on and all they have is lake views, which is a fair amount of points more, I dont really want the view, but its all there is. I book it. Come Jan 5, Dec 1-4 is open in a standard view. Id love to switch and save the points, and am willing to do a split stay. How do I do this?

Walking exists. Its not a monster issue. But, I can see exactly how many rooms of a given type are available on any given day, so I really know when I need to walk or not.

Last edited:

Walking rewards those who are committed and prepared to do the work. As another example, I could get my family up at the crack of dawn and hustle to DHS to get BGs for ROTR, but I choose not to, which means that other people will get to go on ROTR, but we will not. Just like walking DVC, those people who are prepared to do the work that others are not will get the rewards.
AMEN!

And ROTR is a great example and how it now stinks. Its all luck. You could literally go there every day on a week long vacation and get unlucky and not get on. The old way, if you busted it and got to the park early one day, it was an easy get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter