Should I take grandkids or not???

You have to decide if the potential for some headaches and extra effort is worth it for the opportunity for forge 9 days of great memories with your grandchildren.

Is there any way you could introduce them to tent camping before the Disney trip, maybe for a couple of nights somewhere, just to see how they respond to it? That part of the trip seems like the thing that has the potential to create the greatest number of unknowns.

Maybe. But, I live 15 min from one grandparent & down the street from another & that would still be a long time for DS to be away from us at that age. I think like so many things it depends on the kid & family.

Ditto! I think geography is a factor, but it’s definitely not the only one. We live in the same city as my parents and my in laws, but only one are an active set of grandparents. The other see my kid every few months, maybe, and only at larger events. If they aren’t interested in having a relationship with my kid (honestly, with my whole family), that’s on them.

OP, have you taken your grandkids on vacations before? I see that they’ve been to Disney, but if this would be your first trip with them, I think I would wait. I would try to plan a trip specifically for them rather than trying to fit them into a pre-set plan. I don’t think kids should be set up to fail, and a long Disney vacation in a tent without their parents sounds like a bad mix to me. If you can’t fit a second trip in the budget for next year, maybe wait another year? Then your youngest grand baby might be old enough. Or shorten your camping trip and add a second visit in...a shorter one in a hotel, if that’s more familiar to your grandkids? Buuuuuut the most important advice that I’ll just echo...you need to talk to your kids. They’re the parents, they’re the ones who would probably know what will work best for their kids and their whole family.

Ditto! I think geography is a factor, but it’s definitely not the only one. We live in the same city as my parents and my in laws, but only one are an active set of grandparents. The other see my kid every few months, maybe, and only at larger events. If they aren’t interested in having a relationship with my kid (honestly, with my whole family), that’s on them.

OP, have you taken your grandkids on vacations before? I see that they’ve been to Disney, but if this would be your first trip with them, I think I would wait. I would try to plan a trip specifically for them rather than trying to fit them into a pre-set plan. I don’t think kids should be set up to fail, and a long Disney vacation in a tent without their parents sounds like a bad mix to me. If you can’t fit a second trip in the budget for next year, maybe wait another year? Then your youngest grand baby might be old enough. Or shorten your camping trip and add a second visit in...a shorter one in a hotel, if that’s more familiar to your grandkids? Buuuuuut the most important advice that I’ll just echo...you need to talk to your kids. They’re the parents, they’re the ones who would probably know what will work best for their kids and their whole family.
This.

Thanks everyone for all the good advice. I would be doing all the care of the grandkids. DH is great for the fun stuff but not so great with little one care. My DS12 is actually my biggest barrier. I have such a large gap between children and he gets a little (ok a lot) jealous when it comes to the grandkids. And even though I think a 12 yo should be old enough not to be so jealous, I understand also. He is afraid they will slow us down( which obviously it would, and we are early morning commandos for about 2 hours then slow down the rest of the day) Also the tent camping is a barrier too. I may try a shorter trip this fall and see how it goes. DGS5 is a big handful and has a lot of energy and plus I’m not sure I want to haul a stroller again. Oldest DS and DIL wouldn’t mind me taking them, we have discussed it but I am very much leaning no on this trip. We go every couple of years but maybe I can talk DH into a quick 4 day trip next year just for the grandkids and do us on little kid stuff. (Maybe at all stars or something) I just want them to be involved and to be able to travel, and right now their parents can afford it.

Thanks everyone for all the good advice. I would be doing all the care of the grandkids. DH is great for the fun stuff but not so great with little one care. My DS12 is actually my biggest barrier. I have such a large gap between children and he gets a little (ok a lot) jealous when it comes to the grandkids. And even though I think a 12 yo should be old enough not to be so jealous, I understand also. He is afraid they will slow us down( which obviously it would, and we are early morning commandos for about 2 hours then slow down the rest of the day) Also the tent camping is a barrier too. I may try a shorter trip this fall and see how it goes. DGS5 is a big handful and has a lot of energy and plus I’m not sure I want to haul a stroller again. Oldest DS and DIL wouldn’t mind me taking them, we have discussed it but I am very much leaning no on this trip. We go every couple of years but maybe I can talk DH into a quick 4 day trip next year just for the grandkids and do us on little kid stuff. (Maybe at all stars or something) I just want them to be involved and to be able to travel, and right now their parents can afford it.

I’m really glad you updated!

I think with the details you’ve shared, it sounds like you’re making a good decision. It sounds like you have a really good family dynamic and like you’re doing a good job respecting what’s best for everyone.

I hope the tent trip is tons of fun. and I hope you get back for a short getaway with your grandkids!

I see no issues with being away from mom and dad for 9 days. Growing up me, my cousins, lots of friends would often times spend summers in Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, in another state, etc to be with grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins.

I have an issue with tent camping with two little ones for 9 days. That sounds like torture.

Also are you mentally prepared to be in the "little kid world" for 9 days and at WDW at that?? This is completely different than being home for a week with them. I'm 36 and my youngest is 13. When I babysit my 4 year old nephew for a night I'm completely exhausted. It's a whole different ball game. I sometimes forget I have to feed him! lol But seriously I have to go into little kid mode and I don't know how I would feel about doing that for 9 days.

Based on what you say about your DS12, I would skip the grands this trip. Make this trip about DS12--I know he seems grown up in many ways, but he's still a kid. He needs to know that he's still important to you (not saying he's not, but if you're having issues of jealousy, I'd try to look at things from his point of view).

Plan on taking the grands on a separate trip--maybe shorter, and probably in a hotel. If they're just a touch older, they should be easier to deal with (i.e., tell you when they need a bathroom or a snack, not need a stroller, etc.)

My issue would mostly be 'tent camping nine days with two little boys (not my own)'!!! First, I don't tent camp, but with two 'newbie' active young boys, then add in the Disney days?? No way - and, yes, I'm a grand!! :eek: Enjoy time with your boys, the grands time will come!!

Our grandchildren go with us and with their parents. But when the parents are off on their own, we get the grandkids and have a good old time. I know that is not your situation, but grandkids can be fun at Disney. I would think about how they would do with camping, especially if they are not used to camping. I think the most important thing to take with you is a notarized letter from the parents with insurance information, giving you the power to act for them in the event of a medical emergency, or if needed a Power of Attorney - whatever a urgent care or hospital would need in order to treat the child. You could call one near you and see what they would need if you came in with the grandchild. This is in the event that they cannot get in contact with the parents. Either way, have fun.

I would leave the grandsons for this trip and focus on my own two children. You have given all the reasons yourself already. As others have suggested, another mini trip later on might work to include the DGS's.

I have a grandson 5 years old. He has been to Disney twice before with extended family , so I have an idea how difficult he can be and how wonderful. I live next door to him and have him for sleepovers and day trips but frankly anything longer than a couple days would put me in the grave. He has very high energy and I can relate to he doesn't listen at times...like most of the time. He is very strong willed little fella. I would never attempt to take him for 9 days anywhere least of all Disney for 9 days. He needs his routine and Disney gaslights him with too much stimulation. It's wonderful taking him with his parents but I'm simply too old to handle him for that long and since I have him a lot I know my limits. If you are a younger grandma in her late forties then maybe but I'm almost 70 and it would literally be a very difficult trip. It sounds wonderful on paper but you won't have much fun when you are over tired dealing with the inevitable melt down from kids who are also over stimulated and tired at same time.

I think you are making a very good decision. I took my own DGD when she was young, and continued to take her for trips throughout the years, but I could not have managed under the circumstances you are faced with.

I was 14 and my sister was when my nephew12 was born. My Mom focused all her energy on him, and I admit to being very jealous. I loved him, and as I got older I could "spoil" him as well, but those first 2 years were pretty stressful. WIth that in mind, I htink it is best to leave the two grands behind and enjoy WDW with your own son. 12 is a difficult age under the best of circumstance.

I think it would be nice if you could take them alone at a later date and stay at a resort hotel. Caring for young ones in a tent can be tough, and a value is themed so much that the kids will be thrilled.

I’ve found they’re much better behaved away from parents!

This would be my kids!!

Not sure about the camping part though. And 9 days....yikes! Everytime one needs to use the restroom, someone needs to go with them. Also difficult for bathing/showers. They will not have a TV to sit in front of for a bit so you can get yourself ready/organized and will need constant looking after. They will tire much earlier than at home, which might hinder your evening plans. It will be a lot of work and expense and possible stress on what is supposed to be your vacation! Id skip this one and bring them in a few years.

The youngest age I brought any of my kids was 4 and we were carrying her almost every night (she tired of even being in the stroller all day). Kids need to run around, but Disney is not the place to do that and since she couldnt walk as much/fast as we could or stand in lines as long as we could, she sat in the stroller or on a ride or at a restaurant or in our arms practically all day. Just not ideal. She is my 3rd and last child, so I never had to deal with that again.

I see a lot of complaints on threads about kids running around in the restaurants. I dont get annoyed when I see it. I understand they have recently been freed from the stroller !!!

Would the six year old be missing over a week of school? His parents might have concerns about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter