Should the Great Movie Ride change the gangster scene?

As I said, I was surprised by my reaction. I love the Great Move Ride. I miss the bank robbery scene. I don't want to see it change and I'm not saying it should. I was just wondering if that thought had occurred to anyone else. It had never occurred to me prior to this trip.
The cowboy scene is run when it's busy and they run two ride vehicles at the same time.

FWIW, my DD hates either shooting scene.

I think if they need to change anything about the great movie ride is get rid of whoever that old guy doing the narration is and let the CMs do the spell again

The Great Movie Ride, despite being an iconic attraction, is very dated. Most of the scenes haven't been updated since the ride's original opening, and I don't think most park guests know about movies such as Footlight Parade, among others

I agree with the OP! Some children might be frightened by the scene, but there is a difference between being frightened and PTSD-type reactions, if one of the guests has been involved in a gun-incident. I'm also surprised that I've never seen this mentioned anywhere else before

The Great Movie Ride, despite being an iconic attraction, is very dated. Most of the scenes haven't been updated since the ride's original opening, and I don't think most park guests know about movies such as Footlight Parade, among others
I don't mind the ride being "dated" in the manner of featuring movies with which young (and even not so young) people are not familiar. That is one of the best features of the ride. It provides context and creates curiosity. What I do mind about the dated nature of the ride is the unsophisticated animatronics. The Wicked Witch scene is awesome. And there is no reason why the ride cannot have much more of that. Look at the Jack Sparrow animatronics in PoTC and compare that with John Wayne and Humphrey Bogart in TGMR. The latter look like cheesy figures from a nickel-and-dime wax museum. Disney can and should do so much better. 21st Century animatronics would make all the difference in this attraction.

I don't think most park guests know about movies such as Footlight Parade, among others
But that's the whole idea - to give people a brief history of the movies. I don't think they should take out old scenes because people don't know about them. I think it should encourage people to go home and watch some classic old movies.

I think if they need to change anything about the great movie ride is get rid of whoever that old guy doing the narration is and let the CMs do the spell again

If I'm not mistaken they did that to get rid of the spiel premium pay from GMR. The longer spiel meant more pay. I think Jungle Cruise is one of the last spiel heavy positions left that get the extra pay.

This scene and several others need to go, although maybe for a different reason. Much of the ride is very dated and could use new scenes and/or animatronics. The Wizard of OZ scene still works pretty well, but much of the rest could use refurbishment or have scenes replaced. I think a lot of the young people on this ride have no idea where many of the scenes are from.
I agree that this ride needs a big refurb, but mostly to catch to our times. As for the point of this post...............It's a ride about the MOVIES..........right?o_O There was a time when "gangster" movies were a big part of cinema.........ok let me clarify............circa 1920's & 30's gangster movies. That scene is an expression of a bygone time.........and a very G rated time at that. Did you ever see blood in a James Cagney or Edward G Robinson movie? I don't see the connection to today's world is that close. Maybe others do..............I worry that removing that is going way to PC............

Doug :goofy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter