Should we wait to sail?

Xadrian

Earning My Ears
Greetings,

This is a question directed at those who recently sailed with Disney. More specifically, those who had prior cruising experience pre-pandemic.

Watching the recent sailings and the social media coverage posted on-line. My spouse and I have some concerns regarding if we should cancel our cruise and wait until things get back a little closer to what could be considered normal.

For some background, we had planned our trip about two years ago. Originally scheduled to sail in February of 2021. Long before anyone had heard the word COVID. It was going to be our first cruise.

When our cruise was canceled, we had rescheduled for February of 2022 - 7 night Eastern Caribbean. Hoping that we would be sailing under somewhat normal conditions or slightly adjusted.

While we have not seen what a 7 night cruise will look like just yet. The feeling I get from what has been posted on social media is that it is radically different.

No sailing away party. Amenities and entertainment on the ship appear to have been limited or outright canceled. The “night” events appear to be watered down. From what I have read you can’t even get popcorn if you want to watch a movie in the theater.

Which is why I am looking for feedback on what people think, and if this is really the right time to be sailing at all. Given what limited experiences Disney is offering.

Should we just cancel and look a few years down the road for Disney to return to what cruising was like before COVID or stick it out and hope we will receive and experience something like it was before the pandemic.

Thank you and I look forward to reading your reaponses.

February is still 6 months off - a LOT can happen between now and then. We have no way of knowing what things will look like in one month, let alone 6.

IMHO it's just too hard to say what things will look like.

February is still 6 months off - a LOT can happen between now and then. We have no way of knowing what things will look like in one month, let alone 6.

IMHO it's just too hard to say what things will look like.
Exactly. OP, I am seeing a lot of posts here with people unhappy that these first cruises don't offer everything that cruises before the pandemic offered. If you are prepared for the worst, cancellation, the best, a full resumption, or something in between, go for it. If not, wait.

I agree with PP that February is so far off at this point, who knows what the situation will bring by then. Don't you have a couple of months until PIF? If so, I'd hold off making any decision. But if you still "have some concerns" as you approach the PIF date, my opinion is to postpone because you'll be too stressed to enjoy it.

The past 24 hrs have shown how fluid the situation is. Trying to predict September let alone November let alone 2022 is impossible at this time.

right now you wait. That’s all anyone can do.
If you aren’t comfortable waiting then bail-

We sail in 27 days and right now we have zero confirmation that we are actually sailing so 🤷🏻‍♀️

In relation to COVID, I think a good year after cases have been at a stable number (maybe not gone, but not so horribly spiking) might be time to call this the “new normal.”

As far as anything Disney does, based on changes at the theme parks, the cruise you will get will be different than pre-2020. As a new cruiser, if you can go in somewhat blind without the preconceived ideas from others’ past experiences, I think you can have a great cruise. I am hopeful they can continue the “Disney Magic” hospitality they have had.

(Deleted)

Morning ramble, over.

Last edited:
I sailed last week on the first cruise to go out. I agree things were limited/watered down. Did I like everything? No, but I feel the good definitely outweighed the negatives and I was very glad I went. It was amazing overall. We have the same cruise booked for February and honestly, I'm not expecting/planning on anything just yet. I'm sure some of what we experienced will change by then, hopefully for the better, but who knows?

This was also our 23rd Disney Cruise. If it were our first I may not have liked the watered down experience as much as I did.

...................This is a question directed at those who recently sailed with Disney. More specifically, those who had prior cruising experience pre-pandemic........................

IMO, if you are looking forward to a once in a lifetime 1st cruise never to be repeated magical moment experience it might behoove you to delay until things get well ironed out.

We have 3 cruise reservations with first in Oct. and will be reserving for our 49th Anniversary in June and will happily accept the inevitable limitations just to be out on the water ASAP because another tomorrow is never guaranteed.

Guys, lets remember to keep this thread on track and not add personal comments directed at 1 or 2 members. The OP is looking for what would you do, that's it!

Here is my prediction from the start of this year:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/f...y-not-happen-until-2022.3825883/post-62682082
In short, any cruising 'normal' won't happen before 2024. The question to ask yourself is whether you can hold out till then. With the caveat that perfect tomorrow may never transpire?

That's the big picture view. At a more day-to-day level, cruise lines are trying to adapt to what's happening so quickly. February won't see a return to normal, but it won't be the same as August either. To be sure, cruising restrictions mirror the reality on land. You might find restrictions at most other places anyways. Maybe you will grow at peace with them.

My advice for the next three years is to find a window of opportunity - when cases are lower, travel is doable, disruptions to work/life are manageable - and take your vacation.

This may be as good as it gets and there is a chance that cruising will end completely. Especially with new variants making the vaccines less effective.

My answer would depend a lot on your personal situation, and kind of what you are going for. I think if you're in the "We'll cruise one time, and want it to be the best" category, that's not likely to be happening right now. If you're in the "We've never cruised and are curious if we'd like it", it might still be good to do even with the likely changes. But, your own personal situation, finances, future plans, alternatives, etc. will all play into it also: what would you do instead (some vacation options are not as affected as cruising, some like international travel are maybe even more affected), how likely are you to have future chances to do this, etc.

But, nothing in the future is certain. We could be back to "normal" sailing by February (though I kind of doubt it). Things can always get worse - I mean we could be in World War 3 or a Zombie apocalypse by then. I guess in that regard I'd generally say - don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. A cruise in February might not be ideal, but many will still enjoy it and who knows if the future will be better, or worse. If it's reasonable for your family situation, I'd still consider it - time marches on, and you don't necessarily get the same chances over and over. One of the main reasons we still have our December cruise is that for our family situation, it's probably the only chance we can cruise where my daughter will get to be in the Edge club, which she's been looking forward to (probably building up way too much based on her older sister's comments) for years - if we don't go then, our next chance is probably 1.5 years away, when she'll have aged out or will be close to aging out.

But, to address what I think was your main question: different people have different things they enjoy doing on cruises, and so that'll impact how much the current changes are affecting things. The folks who want to sit in a lounger and sip drinks all day will probably have a minimally affected cruise. Dining options might not be quite the same as earlier, but it sounds like they are probably really close in the big scheme of things. Those who have kids wanting to be in the clubs all day long will be missing a lot. If specific ports are the main draw, then that's kind of a gamble - who knows where they will be. We've never done any of the adult clubs stuff, so the changes there don't affect us much at all, but others might really want the energy of more crowded dance clubs. On the other hand, a big deal for our family has been the "dinner and a show" every night. It seems like the shows are only operating at half the rate right now, and so only having half the shows is a big deal for us, but I know on a previous cruise, our table-mates never went to a single show! If this would be your first cruise, you don't have a lot of background for what you are wanting to do, but maybe it would help to go through what you are most wanting out of a cruise, and see what is and is not really affected there.

My answer would depend a lot on your personal situation, and kind of what you are going for. I think if you're in the "We'll cruise one time, and want it to be the best" category, that's not likely to be happening right now. If you're in the "We've never cruised and are curious if we'd like it", it might still be good to do even with the likely changes. But, your own personal situation, finances, future plans, alternatives, etc. will all play into it also: what would you do instead (some vacation options are not as affected as cruising, some like international travel are maybe even more affected), how likely are you to have future chances to do this, etc.

But, nothing in the future is certain. We could be back to "normal" sailing by February (though I kind of doubt it). Things can always get worse - I mean we could be in World War 3 or a Zombie apocalypse by then. I guess in that regard I'd generally say - don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. A cruise in February might not be ideal, but many will still enjoy it and who knows if the future will be better, or worse. If it's reasonable for your family situation, I'd still consider it - time marches on, and you don't necessarily get the same chances over and over. One of the main reasons we still have our December cruise is that for our family situation, it's probably the only chance we can cruise where my daughter will get to be in the Edge club, which she's been looking forward to (probably building up way too much based on her older sister's comments) for years - if we don't go then, our next chance is probably 1.5 years away, when she'll have aged out or will be close to aging out.

But, to address what I think was your main question: different people have different things they enjoy doing on cruises, and so that'll impact how much the current changes are affecting things. The folks who want to sit in a lounger and sip drinks all day will probably have a minimally affected cruise. Dining options might not be quite the same as earlier, but it sounds like they are probably really close in the big scheme of things. Those who have kids wanting to be in the clubs all day long will be missing a lot. If specific ports are the main draw, then that's kind of a gamble - who knows where they will be. We've never done any of the adult clubs stuff, so the changes there don't affect us much at all, but others might really want the energy of more crowded dance clubs. On the other hand, a big deal for our family has been the "dinner and a show" every night. It seems like the shows are only operating at half the rate right now, and so only having half the shows is a big deal for us, but I know on a previous cruise, our table-mates never went to a single show! If this would be your first cruise, you don't have a lot of background for what you are wanting to do, but maybe it would help to go through what you are most wanting out of a cruise, and see what is and is not really affected there.

You have a great turn of phrase and make great points! Thank you.

Greetings,

This is a question directed at those who recently sailed with Disney. More specifically, those who had prior cruising experience pre-pandemic.

Watching the recent sailings and the social media coverage posted on-line. My spouse and I have some concerns regarding if we should cancel our cruise and wait until things get back a little closer to what could be considered normal.

For some background, we had planned our trip about two years ago. Originally scheduled to sail in February of 2021. Long before anyone had heard the word COVID. It was going to be our first cruise.

When our cruise was canceled, we had rescheduled for February of 2022 - 7 night Eastern Caribbean. Hoping that we would be sailing under somewhat normal conditions or slightly adjusted.

While we have not seen what a 7 night cruise will look like just yet. The feeling I get from what has been posted on social media is that it is radically different.

No sailing away party. Amenities and entertainment on the ship appear to have been limited or outright canceled. The “night” events appear to be watered down. From what I have read you can’t even get popcorn if you want to watch a movie in the theater.

Which is why I am looking for feedback on what people think, and if this is really the right time to be sailing at all. Given what limited experiences Disney is offering.

Should we just cancel and look a few years down the road for Disney to return to what cruising was like before COVID or stick it out and hope we will receive and experience something like it was before the pandemic.

Thank you and I look forward to reading your reaponses.

A lot will depend on whether the things that are “missing” are things You would miss. And if what is going on are things you would enjoy.

I‘m looking at near-term cruising as the opportunity to sail with reduced crowds and spend time relaxing. Shift my focus from go-go at ports to enjoying time at sea.

Just yesterday booked a 4-night on the Dream for mid September. (sailing Alaska Labor Day week). I do enjoy a good cruise.

I think a shorter cruise would be fine! I like visiting ports and right now its not sure what ports will be open. A 4 day cruise at sea with Disney sevice could work out nice!

Like others mentioned, it depends on what you are looking for in a cruise. I’m quite happy sitting on the verandah or walking the decks and watching the views with a drink or coffee, and knowing I’ll be eating in a restaurant every meal ( no cooking = vacation!) and doing some surface level sightseeing at the stops. Yes, I’ll do activities, tastings, and shows, and the lack of popcorn for a 45-minute show is not even remotely a dealbreaker for me. I might go in the pool one day but in general I’m not a pool person. But there are cruisers who enjoy the social life and activities provided, and if that’s the case, then the decision may be thrown another way.

Hi OP,
I am on the Feb 19 eastern. I was surprised to get an email about it already.

We are platinum, so a limited experience would not bother me, as we have seen all the shows, etc. We are still going to go because this thing doesn't seem to be going away any time soon. I can't decide for you, but I think you would still have a great experience. And like others have posted, we have 6 months. Hopefully things will change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter