shringrix

Reposting what I posted in October 2020:
My 90-year-old mother had shingles last summer, and although she's over it, she still has some minor numbness due to nerve damage. At this point the numbness may be permanent. Her shingles symptoms lasted more than a month. Her shingles experience was hell for her and she was prevented from seeing her grandchildren and great-grandchildren during the time due to shingles. This was not abnormal and can happen to you when you get shingles (regardless of your age). I was glad I had the Shingrix vaccine, even though I had more pain from the shots than usual with vaccines. A few days of side effects from the vaccine are well worth it if it prevents full blown Shingles in the future.

DH has had both his shots within the last 4 months. First shot was the same sore arm he got with his annual flu and the 3 Covid shots. Second shot ( about 3 months after #1 )same sore arm but about 12 hours later felt chilled/feverish. It happened when he went to bed but by the time he got up about 8 hours was good to go.

I got both of mine the end of 2020. The first one has me in bed for the weekend. I just felt really blah. The second one no problem.

This was my experience; my late husband had the converse, with the second shot being the worst. Read up on shingles, and you’ll see it’s a no brainer to get the vaccine. Among other things, shingles can cause blindness—it’s a horrible disease. Just block out a couple days after your shot in case you get hit with the side effects.

Oh great my work was requiring it, then not, now it's back on the table. And I had a serious case of shingles when I was ten that landed me in the hospital for 2 weeks. I have feared my whole life of getting it again

as others have said, everyone is different. I got the first dose the same day I had a flu shot. The arm I got the shingles vaccine in hurt for days and I had mild flu symptoms the next day. Two months later, the second one was easier, arm still hurt but I don't recall feeling ill. Oddly people are complaining about a tetanus shot, I had one of those just about a year ago and don't recall it bothering me at all. Of course I got it because I had just been bit by two dogs, so perhaps I was distracted.

DH & I got our first shingrex shot at the end of March, so we’ll be getting our 2nd in a few weeks. We planned to get it, but just hadn’t gotten around to it. Then I found out our elderly neighbor had been dealing with shingles for 8 weeks! The rash/ lesions slowly improved but she was in excruciating pain for 8 week. We got the first shot the next day. We both had just a little discomfort in our arms, but nothing more than any other shot. We have heard the 2nd shot can be hard, so we plan to get it on Thursday & do nothing the whole weekend, just in case. But we both agree no matter how bad the shot is, it will be much better than getting shingles.

I got both shingrix shots this past year, 4 months apart (Oct. & Feb.). I too had heard that the shots can be rough for some people, so I was pleasantly surprised that I had no issues except for a mildly sore arm each time.

I don't think I am old enough to get it yet or to get it to where its covered under my insurance but I've had shingles and I was so miserable. I would gladly take the side effects over getting shingles.

I’m 44. Just got my second dose of Shingrex on Thursday. Doctor prescribed it because I have had shingles multiple times, with the last episode on my face/forehead leaving minor nerve damage. I paid out of pocket for both doses—well worth it. For me the first shot took me out for 3 days, the second shot was just a sore arm.

DH and I got it about 4-5 years ago, both in our 50s in excellent shape and health. Nothing after the first shot. After the second shot we both felt like we had been run over by a truck, lol! I don't remember if we had fevers or not, but I do remember feeling very achy and worn out. We basically wrapped ourselves in blankets and binge watched TV from our recliners. Luckily, it only lasted one day. My 80 something mother got hers around the same time and had no reaction with either shot.

I counted the days until I was old enough to be eligible for Shingrex. I have a major dread of ever getting shingles I’d suffer through the vaccine again tomorrow for the protection it offers.

That's where I am - I turn 50 in a few months and I'm taking myself right out to get that vaccine. My Mother has a very mild case of shingles a few years ago, and it was still a real uncomfortable situation for her for a few weeks.

I had the first dose back in October, and the side effects were terrible. I had chills, fever, my body ached like crazy and I slept for two days straight. When I had the second dose, I just had a sore arm, and I was tired for about one day, but at least I was able to stay awake.
But I'm not complaining...I'd rather deal with that than get shingles.

Speaking from someone who had Shingles a year and a half ago - get the shot!!! It was the most excruciating pain - the pain started before the blisters appeared, so the doctors/nurses at the ER had no idea what was going on with me - I had blood work, CT Scan, X-Rays - I think they were beginning to think I was faking to get pain pills.

I had shingles when I was in my 40s and I still have numbness in one area. I got the shringrix vaccine last year and didn't have a reaction to either shot. The nurse said it helps to rub the area around the injection site.

4 yrs ago, I had shingles in my optic nerve. It traveled down my face and went into my mouth, and my dental nerves. The pain was unlike anything I can even describe. Think about the worst headache ever that is in your eye and your teeth. I also have scarring on my cornea and lingering nerve pain 4 yrs later. At this point, I"m thinking the pain is permanent.

I got the Shingrix shots about 2 1/2 yrs ago. The first was minor arm pain, the second shot, I felt like I had the flu for about 8 hrs. Highly recommend getting this vaccine.

I got it in 2018 when it first became available and my doctors wanted me to get it due to my biologics. We had to order it through Walgreens as the doctors office didn't have it yet. My MyChart shows 4/30/18 and 10/12/18. I remember having to pick it up and take it with me. 0 reaction either time except for a sore arm.

I got them last year. First shot a sore arm, fatigue and about 8 hours of surprisingly hearty "chills" the evening/night of the shot. Second shot a sore arm and some fatigue. So about 8 hours of significant "illness" that I couldn't ignore vs. shingles. Not so bad overall. I admit I was surprised how bad the chills were, but as far as side effects, I can't really complain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter