Shutter delay? HELP!!

2diamonds&a~gem

Mouseketeer
I am so glad this new board is here!
(As I don't really know much about my camera)
Ok, so I have a Nikon Coolpix 3200, will not be upgrading until after Feb trip, anywho... I have been able to take great pictures with it, and most of the time really like it. However, I get very frustrated trying to take quick shots of DD (she is 2, not staying still for very long) because I push down on the shutter button & nothing... nothing... 10-15 seconds have now passed & finally the picture is taken! Now at this point the cutest thing I have seen in days has stopped happening or has moved on to something else.
So my question is:
Is there any way to change this shutter delay? Or is this just feature of this camera and the solution is to buy new? If new is the solution, how will I know the next wont have this same stupid delay? (I have been to the stores & played with other cameras, but it seems everything I pick up under $350.00 has this delay.) Perhaps I am taking photos on the wrong setting?

Here's to hoping someone has some pixie dust for me & my stupid shutter delay! :cheer2:

TIA

Do you have red-eye reduction turned on for flash pictures? This mode causes an initial burst of light, then a delay, then the actual photo is taken. You could turn this off and use an image editing package to remove any red-eye that occurs.

Another possibility is that your auto-focus can't lock on to anything so if moves through the full range of focus and back before firing the shutter. More light tends to help in these situations.

These are purely guesses as I don't have the Coolpix 3200, but they are generic enough to apply across most camera brands and models.

Shutter delay is a drawback of many digital cameras, especially some older models :) Newer models are getting better with faster processors and firmware. Not sure if you can actually do anything about it on your existing camera, apart from trying to predict the moment or use the continuous shooting mode (although with the 3200 you would only get one shot every 1.5 secs.)
Unfortunately, with most cameras the shutter delay details are not given in the basic specifications listed for the camera, so if a fast response is important I suggest trying cameras out in a camera store to see which one has the fastest response when you get round to upgrading.

I know it's hard to anticipate when she'll be doing something adorable. P&S digitals are awful for quick snaps. You're best bet is to frame the shot, press the shutter button half way. The camera will focus and measure light. It takes a few seconds. Without letting up, press all the way down. It will be quicker than starting from scratch, but still quite slow.

This is a fact of life for all P&S digital cameras. You can reduce it by changing some settings (Coolpix 995 had a "review only" option - kept the camera from trying to preview the photo on the monitor), but you're not doing anything wrong.

The problem doesn't disappear until you reach the dSLRs.

Ronda93 said:

Please tell me more about these.... I am guessing much higher range? Any idea on the starting cost & who is making them?
(Digital was digital to me, until now, I always thought it was just more MP's & features that I had to look at.)
Thanks in advance for any further details.

Point and shoot cameras have always been a step behind the SLRs, especially when having to charge the flash before a shot. My wife's Casio Exilim is actually pretty fast (my older Canon A80 is REALLY slow compared to the casio). However, my Canon 10D (dSLR) blows them both away.

Several manufacturers make digital SLR cameras. Canon, Nikon, Konica Monilta, and others too. There are a few kits (camera body and a lens) available for less than $900 (Canon Rebel XT, Nikon D50 are two examples). There are drawbacks, though, to dSLRs.

FIrst, they are large. The smallest of the bunch right now is the Canon RebelXT. Just think your regular old film SLR and you have a good guesstimate of size.

Second, they usually come with a mediocre lens. Most dSLR kits do NOT come with lenses that will cover the range of most digicams. Once you start adding more lenses, you start adding weight (and cost).

Third, the learning curve for mastering dSLR photography can be steep. Most newcomers do not get the kind of pictures out of the camera that they could with the smaller digicams. dSLRs perform MUCH less in-camera processing, and so the pictures come out flat-looking and soft. Photoshop skills are often required to get the photos to look fabulous. The lower-end dSLRs (Rebel XT and Nikon D50) often are set up to do more processing in camera than the mid to higher-end dSLRs...they are a great choice for beginners.

Also, the depth of focus is much smaller for dSLRs, requiring precise focussing (digicams have depths fo field so large that it's often a moot point).

If you feel up to the challenge, and you're used to the Nikon menu systems, I'd recommend the Nikon D50 or D70. If you want to switch to Canon, the RebelXT is a great camera. Both systems have advantages and drawbacks, but it's a matter of personal choice. Both take great photos, and will serve you well.

Second, they usually come with a mediocre lens. Most dSLR kits do NOT come with lenses that will cover the range of most digicams. Once you start adding more lenses, you start adding weight (and cost).
The one exception to this rule would be the D70 kit lens, the 18-70mm AF-S DX. While not a high-end pro lens, it easily out performs its price. It's a great "walking around" lens. Besides my 80-200, it's the lens I use most.

Third, the learning curve for mastering dSLR photography can be steep. Most newcomers do not get the kind of pictures out of the camera that they could with the smaller digicams.
I don't feel that outcome is as widespread as you might think. I've certainly read some reports from P/S converts that have felt this way, but at worst taking a little time with the manual and playing with the sharpness and saturation settings should take away a lot of those feelings. The entry level dSLR's also offer the "Scenic" modes found on P/S cameras that help with the transition. Don't let the dSLR's intimidate you. At worst they may take a little playing around with them to get the "feel" of the camera, but when you find you "mojo" with them, they'll outperform your older cameras.

Geoff_M said:
The one exception to this rule would be the D70 kit lens, the 18-70mm AF-S DX. While not a high-end pro lens, it easily out performs its price. It's a great "walking around" lens. Besides my 80-200, it's the lens I use most.
The OP did mention a price hesitation. This kit is $2000. The D50 with the 18-55 kit is closer to $800, although you are correct.

Geoff_M said:
I don't feel that outcome is as widespread as you might think. I've certainly read some reports from P/S converts that have felt this way, but at worst taking a little time with the manual and playing with the sharpness and saturation settings should take away a lot of those feelings. The entry level dSLR's also offer the "Scenic" modes found on P/S cameras that help with the transition. Don't let the dSLR's intimidate you. At worst they may take a little playing around with them to get the "feel" of the camera, but when you find you "mojo" with them, they'll outperform your older cameras.
Completely agree. However, I know a lot of people that aren't willing/capable of dealing with a dSLR. They want great photos out of the camera, minimal fuss, and minimal learning curve. I tend to steer them towards the Panasonic FZ30 or other such cameras...

You're right. I went to Best Buy's site and misread the pricetag...

The kit with the 18-70 alone is $1,200.
Actually, there are still D70 (non-S) kits with the 18-70mm still around. After rebate they are currently $979 from my local dealer.

However, I know a lot of people that aren't willing/capable of dealing with a dSLR.
I agree, I don't recommend dSLRs to everyone. But for people that express frustration with the limitations of their P/S cameras, that's the logical direction I recommend.

Ronda93 said:

There are a few non-SLR digitals that have shutter lag so small that they compare to a DSLR.

My old digicam, a Fuji Finepix S602 Zoom, is one of the high-end non-SLR digicams that are shaped like an SLR, but have a fixed lens. It had no appreciable shutter lag when pre-focused.

Unfortunately, its autofocusing is not quite as fast as an SLR, but it is way faster than any P&S digicam I've ever tried, and once it's focused, picture snap is instantaneous. Basically, it works just like an SLR but does not focus as fast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter