Single malt scotch?

leebee

DIS Veteran
A family friend is turning 80 and we are invited to his birthday party. He is "comfortably situated" and basically buys whatever he wants/needs, so I am at a loss for a present. I know he enjoys single malt, but I have absolutely NO IDEA of what would be a "nice" single malt to give him for his birthday. DH just looked up a bottle that is highly recommended, but at $15,000 I think it's just a *tad* out of our price range, LOL!! Can anyone recommend a decent single malt that might run $20-$40 a bottle?

DH likes Glenlivet 15 or Glenfiddich 18 but it is more than your price range.

Single malt scotch tastes different depending on where it comes from. It can go from mild and light to peaty and strong. I would stay away from the peaty Islay scotches unless you know he likes it.

I would choose an 'interesting' Glenmorangie that is aged in a special barrel like Sherry casks. It will definitely set you back at least $40. Scotch is expensive :(. The regular 10 year old Glenmorangie or Glenfiddich should be in your price range and is enjoyable.

I've had Glenlivet and Glenfiddich. Drank a tad of Lagavulin last year because we had a bottle given to us---it tasted like a bog, but I drank it anyway, lol. The Lagavulin is generally closer to $100. I don't know about the others--we've had some that was above your price point, but they may sell cheaper types (likely aged less).

Not a big scotch drinker but I like Oban.
I think it might be a little over 40 closer to 60. I'm not a big scotch drinker but I did enjoy that one.

Well, I can see that maybe we'll have to increase the budget (I really had no idea what to expect) but there are a few bottles recommended, that, well... not happening!!

Glenlivet, glenmorangie, and dalwhinie are all quality as I understand, then the price varies widely depending on years aged. I don't drink scotch but my dad and all the men I've been involved with have, so I learned how to buy it. Tastes like drinking moss to me.

We visited Scotland this past fall and have been enjoying the exploration of Scotch. DH really likes the Islays, which are pretty smoky/peaty.

You've gotten some great advice. Glenlivet and Glenmorangie are good, and lower price. I prefer Highland regions: Glengoyne (the 12-year is 50) and Dalmore (the 12-year old is about $60).

From Speyside, Aberlour is wonderful, but it's a bit pricier. Balvenie is really nice, with the 12-year about $50.

I was in my local liquor store last night (Don't judge! It was in the grocery store ;).) and checked out the single malts. Any of the lighter, sweeter Highland scotch Glen-whatevers mentioned here were between $35-$40 so you should be close to your price range with any of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter