Single Parent on ABD ???

Golfing Goofy

If I hit it right, it's a slice. If I hit it left
My DH doesn't really care to travel, unless it is for a golfing trip. :rotfl: What a shock, huh?

Don't get me wrong, we love golfing as a family, but the kids and I would like to expand our horizons. The kids and I travel together a lot without DH. We usually go visit family or we go to DLR a few times a year but we thought some of the ABD vacations would be fun. The kids are 10 and 12 and they are good travelers.

My questions are:
Would it be weird to go as a lone parent?
Have you been on a trip with a lone parent? What was that like?
Are most guests traditional families?

What do you think? I'm just curious. :confused3 I am a pretty shy and reserved person, so I just don't know how this would work out for me.

Thanks for your input! :)

My search doesn't seem to work tonight, so I couldn't find any similar threads written before.....

I went as a lone parent on my ABD trip to China in 2008. There was at least one other lone parent. There was another single woman who went with extended family. Most people are pretty sociable, so it was no problem to have someone to chat with. The guides were also extremely sociable.

I can't remember exactly, but I think out of the 30 or so people in our group, only about 8 were "children". There were several older teenagers, young adults etc.

I think that the ABD trips are one of the best types of trips to take as a solo parent. I know there are other posters on this board who travel alone - without other adults and without kids - on ABD trips too.

My DH doesn't really care to travel, unless it is for a golfing trip. :rotfl: What a shock, huh?

Don't get me wrong, we love golfing as a family, but the kids and I would like to expand our horizons. The kids and I travel together a lot without DH. We usually go visit family or we go to DLR a few times a year but we thought some of the ABD vacations would be fun. The kids are 10 and 12 and they are good travelers.

My questions are:
Would it be weird to go as a lone parent?
Have you been on a trip with a lone parent? What was that like?
Are most guests traditional families?

What do you think? I'm just curious. :confused3 I am a pretty shy and reserved person, so I just don't know how this would work out for me.

Thanks for your input! :)

My search doesn't seem to work tonight, so I couldn't find any similar threads written before.....

I'm a single parent and I've taken two ABDs. They are perfect for us. I never felt uncomfortable. It is so easy to make friends on these trips, for the kids and adults. I'm not very outgoing either and even I found it easy. I was concerned about being alone on junior adventurer's night, but by the time that comes around you've already made friends you can join for an adult dinner. I had some wonderful conversations on the bus with other adults and with the guides, while the majority of the time my son was sitting with the other kids. On our first trip, in addition to me, there were two other single moms. In total for both trips there were only 4 families with mom, dad and kids (and one of those "kids" was a college student). All the other families were either multi-generational (grandparents, parents, kids), grandparent & grandchildren, couples, a single adult, or single parents with a child. These trips are so great, I don't think you would regret the decision to try it. Once you've decided on a destination, you might find someone on the board who is booked for that trip as well, and then you would "know" someone before your trip starts.

I second everything that Bobo912 said!
I've gone on two ABDs as a single parent as well with my then 8 and 9 year old daughter. They are perfect vacations because you can enjoy time with your child AND have some essential adult interaction time as well. And, you can turn off the "mommy button" and not be responsible for EVERYTHING - which is such a nice break as a single parent (which I know you're not - but you would be on vacation without DH!)
And yes, there are all kinds of families - grandparents & grandkids, traditional families, single parents and kids, and adults without kids.
Go - don't worry a bit- and ENJOY!

I went as a lone parent on my ABD trip to China in 2008. There was at least one other lone parent. There was another single woman who went with extended family. Most people are pretty sociable, so it was no problem to have someone to chat with. The guides were also extremely sociable.

I can't remember exactly, but I think out of the 30 or so people in our group, only about 8 were "children". There were several older teenagers, young adults etc.

I think that the ABD trips are one of the best types of trips to take as a solo parent. I know there are other posters on this board who travel alone - without other adults and without kids - on ABD trips too.

Thanks for telling me about your experience. That really helps! It sounds like you had a good time.

I'm a single parent and I've taken two ABDs. They are perfect for us. I never felt uncomfortable. It is so easy to make friends on these trips, for the kids and adults. I'm not very outgoing either and even I found it easy. I was concerned about being alone on junior adventurer's night, but by the time that comes around you've already made friends you can join for an adult dinner. I had some wonderful conversations on the bus with other adults and with the guides, while the majority of the time my son was sitting with the other kids. On our first trip, in addition to me, there were two other single moms. In total for both trips there were only 4 families with mom, dad and kids (and one of those "kids" was a college student). All the other families were either multi-generational (grandparents, parents, kids), grandparent & grandchildren, couples, a single adult, or single parents with a child. These trips are so great, I don't think you would regret the decision to try it. Once you've decided on a destination, you might find someone on the board who is booked for that trip as well, and then you would "know" someone before your trip starts.

Your experience is very reassuring. After reading about ABD, I was always a little worried about the Junior adventurer's night....I never thought about the fact that it is later in the trip. That is good. Thanks for pointing that out!

I will definetly post on the boards prior to the trip. I think that is a great idea.

Thanks!!

I second everything that Bobo912 said!
I've gone on two ABDs as a single parent as well with my then 8 and 9 year old daughter. They are perfect vacations because you can enjoy time with your child AND have some essential adult interaction time as well. And, you can turn off the "mommy button" and not be responsible for EVERYTHING - which is such a nice break as a single parent (which I know you're not - but you would be on vacation without DH!)
And yes, there are all kinds of families - grandparents & grandkids, traditional families, single parents and kids, and adults without kids.
Go - don't worry a bit- and ENJOY!

I think that one of the reasons I really would like to go on one of these is that I wouldn't have to be the pack mule...:rotfl: When I travel with the kids alone, I feel like a Sherpa. KWIM? I know I am quite entertaining to watch at the airport.... I end up dragging most of our stuff, making sure that I don't lose one of the kids, trying to find my way, lol... I am not very strong and a little Klutzy. The funniest part is trying to get all the stuff and kids to the rental car place. The shuttle drivers don't really help out as much anymore. They used to help put the luggage into the shuttle. I would always tip, but now I think they are just in a hurry to get going....

Anyways, it is pretty comical. By the time I get to our car, I am ready for a nap! :rotfl2:

One of these vacations just sounds like it would be pretty relaxing.

Thanks for telling me about your experience.

I think that one of the reasons I really would like to go on one of these is that I wouldn't have to be the pack mule...:rotfl: When I travel with the kids alone, I feel like a Sherpa. KWIM? I know I am quite entertaining to watch at the airport.... I end up dragging most of our stuff, making sure that I don't lose one of the kids, trying to find my way, lol... I am not very strong and a little Klutzy. The funniest part is trying to get all the stuff and kids to the rental car place. The shuttle drivers don't really help out as much anymore. They used to help put the luggage into the shuttle. I would always tip, but now I think they are just in a hurry to get going....

Anyways, it is pretty comical. By the time I get to our car, I am ready for a nap! :rotfl2:

One of these vacations just sounds like it would be pretty relaxing.

Thanks for telling me about your experience.
Having the guides meet you and whisk your luggage away, having it magically show up in your room, that's one of the wonderful perks of an ABD...

Sayhello

And you don't have to worry about where you are going or where you're going to eat or where is there a bathroom? All of that is taken care of for you.

...and the quides will hand you a bottle of water before you start a long hike. And give you snacks on the bus. And on and on and on. Pretty much the only thing you have to be responsible for is showing up on time for the bus.

Like one of the guides said in a joking manner check your luggage and brain with me for the next 8 days. :rotfl2: It was truely worth the money for us so much as we are doing another ABD in July.You will have so much fun :banana: ,we had three single parents with their kids and not once did they fell left out.You start out as travel buddies and leave as friends you would travel with again at least that what happened to us.

Oh, that is so cool. You guys have really put my mind at ease. I think I will be Ok. You are all so positive and friendly so if there are people like you going, then it will be a blast...even for a shy person like me. :rotfl:

I will just love, love :lovestruc taking a vacation that does all the thinking for me!! That will actually be a vacation for me....lol... I am glad to hear from you that they really do that....sometimes I worry that they overpromise. It almost sounds too good to be true.

There are so many desitinations to chose from. The hard part will be to just pick one. :lmao:

Thanks everyone for your input. I really appreciate it!

Now the only problem is to choose which ABD trip to take.Your children are older so they should enjoy almost any trip :thumbsup2 Have fun

Hi,

We have been on 2 ABD trips and on both trips there have been several parents on their own. It wasn't unusual or uncomfortable for anyone. I think they had a great time and we all became fast friends.

I went on Quest for the West last summer with my 7yo son. I was the only single parent on the trip but never felt awkward or out of place. My son quickly made friends with the other kids as I had hoped. I'm not normally a joiner but found it easy to comfortably socialize with all the other families during the trip. As it turned out we made such good friends on the trip that this year we joined one family for skiing in Colorado and are going on the ABD Knights and Lights this summer with another.

reicherts4, thanks for your observations! Just from all of these responses, I think it seems that there is atleast 1 single parent on each trip.

Wow, that is so cool that you made such great friends, ennuiphobe.

I really appreciate everyone's responses. You have all been so helpful. :goodvibes Thanks!

Just to add another voice to the chorus...............definitely take the trip with your kids. Mine were also 10 and 12 when we flew overseas and left my husband at home. At the first introduction I stood up and announced that we had left our 'daddy' at home, as he was more interested in hunting and fishing trips - while us three 'girls' went adventuring to London/Paris. There were a few interested looks, but it was a great starting point for conversations.

Most of the people seemed to respect the fact that we were willing to venture on our own, and were very willing to include us with dinner invitations or treks to discover locations. People tend to swoop you up and help you - to the point that I had to work to get some free time for just the 3 of us!! I wouldn't change a detail of the trip, and have another planned in three months!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter