Sinus infection needs to be scraped

smilie

I've been unwonked!
Long and frustrating story short, DH has had a sinus infection for a year and a half. After an MRI yesterday he is being referred to an ENT (after already having seen one) and said he will need his sinuses scraped.

Has anyone had this procedure done? Any idea on what to expect? We haven't had the initial visit with the ENT yet, was just wondering what is in store for him.

I hope it is not as bad as I imagine.

giphy.gif

Do your homework.

Be careful, get 2nd and 3rd opinion.

Research ENT well.

Sister had it done years ago, still enduring issues from it.

DH has his nasal passages done about 20-25 years ago. He had allergy-like symptoms constantly and they finally realized he had polyps blocking his passages. It was an out-patient procedure. His nose was packed with gauze strips soaked in meds (cocaine, if I remember correctly) to numb the areas. He was really loopy throughout the process. His nose actually had to be broken and reset also. (He'd broken his nose as a kid and it grew back in a way that partially blocked his passages.) Anyway, he felt like a truck hit him afterwards, but he was really glad he did it. He didn't realize how much his passages were blocked until he could actually take a full breath. He jokes that he had to learn to breathe again. It also changed his voice a little. He has been on flonase ever since, as the steroids keep the polyps from growing back.

We've been to the ER twice, numerous doctors and the ENT. He's been on at least 4 or 5 different antibiotics, prednisone, shots. Nothing has helped.

My cousin had a deviated septum and straightened and her turbinates reduced and its been life changing for her breathing. That said not sure if that's same thing.

I had a bone growth in my sinuses that kept me from getting over a sinus infection. Went to the ENT, who recommended surgery to remove the growth and to fix my deviated septum. Out patient surgery. Easy recovery. Probably not the exact same as your husbands problem, but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

About 15 years ago, I had widespread infection in my sinuses that had become impacted and would not drain at all or respond to medications. The resulting headaches were horrible. I had endoscopic sinus surgery to clean out the infection. Maybe that procedure includes scraping? I don't remember if that term was used or not. It was more like a Rotorooter job. :p The ENT did a septoplasty while he was at it. It was outpatient surgery done under general anesthesia. I had packing in my nose and up into my sinuses for I think 3 or 4 days. For me, that was the most uncomfortable part. A few days of pain meds kept the post-surgical pain tolerable. The surgery was successful and I'm so glad I had it done. It was well worth a few days of discomfort afterwards to be able to breathe normally and not have the awful headaches. My sinuses have functioned very well since then.

As some have suggested, it's good to get a 2nd opinion if unsure about anything. I had actually been to 3 different ENTs who all concurred (long story why it was 3 and not just 2), so it was an easy decision to go ahead with the surgery.

Last edited:
If by sinuses scrapped you mean surgery then it really depends. I had a whole set of sinus surgeries done back in 2018. My sinuses look great, unfortunately my deviated septum repair is failing after 5 years so may need to be done again (New ENT said it happens especially if you have a nose injury. My dog and cat are head butters so definitely taken a noggin to the nose a few times). I have had less sinus infections (honestly 1 I can remember in the past 5 years) and when I get nasal/sinus based sicknesses I bounce back much much faster.

Friends on the other hand have had bad experiences. Their sinuses are worse after and have major migraine problems now.

DH has his nasal passages done about 20-25 years ago. He had allergy-like symptoms constantly and they finally realized he had polyps blocking his passages. It was an out-patient procedure. His nose was packed with gauze strips soaked in meds (cocaine, if I remember correctly) to numb the areas.

I am 100% positive they did not pack cocaine laced gauze in his nose. Probably Lidocaine which is a local anesthetic. Cocaine is a stimulant that’s extremely addictive & can cause many physical issues.

I am 100% positive they did not pack cocaine laced gauze in his nose. Probably Lidocaine which is a local anesthetic. Cocaine is a stimulant that’s extremely addictive & can cause many physical issues.
I questioned it myself at the time, as I wasn't very happy about it. I just went and googled it as I freely admit I know zilch about med stuff. I found this from the mayoclinic.org: Cocaine hydrochloride nasal solution is used to numb the mucous membrane inside the nose before a medical procedure or surgery. This medicine is a local anesthetic.

I questioned it myself at the time, as I wasn't very happy about it. I just went and googled it as I freely admit I know zilch about med stuff. I found this from the mayoclinic.org: Cocaine hydrochloride nasal solution is used to numb the mucous membrane inside the nose before a medical procedure or surgery. This medicine is a local anesthetic.

I apologize I was mistaken. Looks like it was just approved in 2020. I guess there was too much else going on in medical news so I never heard about this. But the risks are the same as any cocaine use. I don’t blame you for being concerned. I’m an RN & would be very reluctant to have this used on me or family members.

Reactions: CGB
I apologize I was mistaken. Looks like it was just approved in 2020. I guess there was too much else going on in medical news so I never heard about this. But the risks are the same as any cocaine use. I don’t blame you for being concerned. I’m an RN & would be very reluctant to have this used on me or family membersI
I appreciate it, but there's no need. I realize how crazy it sounds. I almost left it out when replying but thought OP might need to know it was a possibility. DH was still active-duty at the time of his procedure. Upon learning what they were using (and verifying they really needed to), I remember stating that information MUST be logged in his records in the event he was hit with a no-notice drug test. :scared:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter