Skull Island: Reign of Kong

I'm so confused about this ride. I tried to look up some stuff on it over the weekend, but didn't have much luck. If it's not on a coaster track and it's that huge jeep like car - the ride itself won't be "scary", right? It will just be scary with King Kong coming at you or something? It's not like you can have hills with that type of vehicle....at least, I don't think you can!

take a look at mythexplorer.com - its the viral marketing that Universal is doing. It shows you some of the creepies that you will see. Its not a roller coaster thrill ride.. more of a dark scare you type of ride.

I'm so confused about this ride. I tried to look up some stuff on it over the weekend, but didn't have much luck. If it's not on a coaster track and it's that huge jeep like car - the ride itself won't be "scary", right? It will just be scary with King Kong coming at you or something? It's not like you can have hills with that type of vehicle....at least, I don't think you can!

The ride vehicle mechanics themselves aren't going to be thrilling. It is the action going on around you that is supposed to be thrilling.

When I saw those vehicles, I thought, "Safari tour-style ride with lots of things to see" like damo said :)

Just got back from my trip, I do not know about today, but yesterday the walls were not down. We asked an employee and she said she didn't know anything about it opening that day. I jokingly told my dad, "That's what they want us to think." Cause he really wants to see Kong and was trying to keep his hopes up. Also, I kept telling him soft openings are unpredictable. One minute it can be closed, another minute it's open. However, as we got over there, the walls were still up.

But later in the late afternoon, we were in the area again, and I jokingly said, "Maybe it's open now." He said, "I doubt it." As I said this, I noticed in the distance a ride vehicle was going. Which is a lot more activity I've ever seen in the area. So, it's a good sign, as they're obviously testing things out. So, not a soft opening yet, but the minute I came home I had to tell you all.

We have about four more weeks until our trip. I have a friend who works at Universal who said she expects it will be in soft openings for us as well and that Hulk won't be open, but she didn't give me a date. She works more in finance there. REALLY looking forward to this one now!

Were arriving 5/29 and from what Ive read we will probably miss Kong this trip but we will be back in the fall. :hourglass

Were arriving 5/29 and from what Ive read we will probably miss Kong this trip but we will be back in the fall. :hourglass

Might be best anyway. While I'm sure the ride will have more higher wait time than the other rides, it will be the fall, which means the kids will be at school, and it'll be a lighter crowd.

Be there mid August - looking forward to it.

Hoping it won't be as crazy as Gringotts. I'm not doing the 5am wake-up to get in line and fight the chaos. :-) .... but that's what I said then too. :-)

Apologies ... Do we know when Hulk is scheduled to open - is there a rough date set?

Be there mid August - looking forward to it.

Hoping it won't be as crazy as Gringotts. I'm not doing the 5am wake-up to get in line and fight the chaos. :-) .... but that's what I said then too. :-)

Apologies ... Do we know when Hulk is scheduled to open - is there a rough date set?

No rough dates. I've heard August rumoured.

Is it just my eyes having wishful glances, or are the walls for Skull Island further back (closer to the ride)? The latest photos/videos I've seen show Kong's face much closer than I remember.

Quick notes from someone who rode in the last hour:
"Wow, that was awesome. Rode 2x. I think the right side is the best. Kong animatronic on right. Rode front and back. The back is better..."
"Little different story at beginning and end depending on "driver". Definitely one to ride multiple times. Best queue in entire park."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter