Slightly oversized bag - will I get charged?

paulfoel

DIS Veteran
Just wondered how fussy the airlines (specifically Delta) are?

Baggage size is a linear 62" but one of our bags is about 65". Do they really check that carefully or just charge if its way too big?

I see for Delta its $175 for an oversize bag !!!!

I don't know Paul. I think if they are soft sided cases and will 'squish' slightly you may get away with it for such a nominal difference. I have just measured mine which are pretty much on the cusp too - they were fine for VA but CO has a slightly smaller allowance and you are right - the charges are horrendous

i'm trying to remember how fussy delta is.
you'd think i would know since i fly them all the time.

they're very specific about weight - a fraction over and you pay.

but i don't know about size.

does it look really big?

what sort of suitcase is it? a duffel? a suitcase?

i'm not sure how easy it is to spot linear differences.

is it really tall? long?

I have never had a bag measured - only weighed - and I can only assume that they will measure any bags that actually look like they could be pushing the dimension limits

mine have never been measured either (other than weighed) - and i've had some really gigantic duffels that i was sure they'd charge me for.

mine have never been measured either (other than weighed) - and i've had some really gigantic duffels that i was sure they'd charge me for.

I have too - like the ones going this year. The beauty of soft sided luggage/duffel bags, is that it will squish to go through any measurements if it is only slightly over in dimension.

I used to be fairly lax about it as the charges on VA and BA weren't too horrific if you did get told you were over, but at $175 for the sake of an inch or so, like Paul I am meauring very carefully this time :lmao:

Paul, I could you email them? At least if they say okay in writing you can print that and take it with you to settle any argument that may arise at check in. Try not to put any personal details on there so that they can't look out for you when you arrive :rotfl2:

i'm trying to remember how fussy delta is.
you'd think i would know since i fly them all the time.

they're very specific about weight - a fraction over and you pay.

but i don't know about size.

does it look really big?

what sort of suitcase is it? a duffel? a suitcase?

i'm not sure how easy it is to spot linear differences.

is it really tall? long?

Its like a rolling cylindrical duffle bag thing.

Its not that big. I measured it and its 64" linear so unless they actually measure it they wont be able to tell I guess.

Its just that $175 if its 2" over aint going to be cool. :-( I'm hoping this is just a quoted fee to scare people off from taking any old size.

But it is squishy and not hard like a suitcase, so surely I could argue that its smaller if its not full!!!!

Weight aint going to be a problem though.

I guess if it comes down to it I could refuse and then go and buy a new bag in the airport. (cheaper than $175!)

I have too - like the ones going this year. The beauty of soft sided luggage/duffel bags, is that it will squish to go through any measurements if it is only slightly over in dimension.

I used to be fairly lax about it as the charges on VA and BA weren't too horrific if you did get told you were over, but at $175 for the sake of an inch or so, like Paul I am meauring very carefully this time :lmao:

Paul, I could you email them? At least if they say okay in writing you can print that and take it with you to settle any argument that may arise at check in. Try not to put any personal details on there so that they can't look out for you when you arrive :rotfl2:

I dont think emailing them is going to get me anything other than the official rules. i.e. 62" and thats it.

I've emailed them about other things like the 6 month passport thing and all they ever do is refer you to the text quoted on their website!!!

Prob just go with it to be honest. Perhaps I'll take some duct tape and tape it so its smaller if they moan....

Or like I said buy a new bag in LHR or something!

Theres a shop called excess baggage company in T4 that sells bags. Appropriate, eh?

i don't think it will be an issue...

i was worried about our carry ons this year..

we have two carry ons...
one is new, so it's the newer style - shorter and wider...

the other one is taller and thinner

they're both the roller-board kind of bags..

when i looked up the size limits, i noticed that our old bag is now 2 inches too tall.
i guess the airlines have reduced the limits.

so i was worried, but i wasn't going to buy a new bag - they're expensive..
and this is a really good quality one (a tumi that i bought years ago)..

so i used it....no one said a word and it fit overhead just fine...

so i worried for nothing..

my son in law was carrying a really really tall carry on bag. Way over the limit. almost twice the height limit.
it's a special portable medical bed that he has to use (he broke his back five years ago).

it's not a wide bag, only about a foot wide, but very very tall....

we kept it out of the view of the ground agent, so she didn't say anything..

the only people who wanted to stop us were at security....
but when they asked, we just said "it's a medical bag" and they let us right through....

we had to carry it on board for two reasons - it's very fragile and could be destroyed in the hold...

and if it's lost with luggage, he would have to return home immediately.
he can't sleep on a regular bed without this on top of it....
(at home he has a special bed that was made for him)..

anyway....long story short - there was no problem....
we did have a letter from his surgeon in case there was a problem, but we never had to show it...

Yeh. I'm sure some of the airline bag fees are there just so they can enforce if they really want to or someone is blatantly over.

Yeh. I'm sure some of the airline bag fees are there just so they can enforce if they really want to or someone is blatantly over.

in the US, the airlines now charge for any checked luggage...

and internationally, they do stick it to you if you're bags are overweight...

I think overweight bags are almost certainly going to cost you as all bags are placed straight onto the scales whereas measuring them does not seem to be standard practice without due reason.

And yes, Beth, I know that VA has changed the dimensions since I checked before last year's flight (granted it was probably some months before we actually flew) but I did go onto their website to compare the size of VA vs CO dimensions as I figured if they were the same it would save me measuring the cases this year. It looked different though so I dug out the file from last year where I had printed the luggage regulations and sure as ever, there is a couple of inches difference. Just shows, you have to keep checking if you want up to date info :rolleyes:

We have just come back and the only problem with hand luggage appeared to be the weight..we had a spare bag so put stuff in that so we didnt have a problem,but the man infront had to pay over $300 as his bag weighed more than 5 kg...i have never come across this before and it did seem a little odd that you could take as many bags through as long as they weren't over the wgt?

We have just come back and the only problem with hand luggage appeared to be the weight..we had a spare bag so put stuff in that so we didnt have a problem,but the man infront had to pay over $300 as his bag weighed more than 5 kg...i have never come across this before and it did seem a little odd that you could take as many bags through as long as they weren't over the wgt?

:scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

It sounds a bit questionable, at face value at least. BUT that is why you have got to keep checking your own airline's policy and charging schedule. And you do need to go back and check again shortly before you fly as they can and DO sometimes change the allowances and fees. Still, $300 for excess hand luggage :scared1: I wonder if he had checked other things through that were over and therefore they checked his hand luggage as well :confused:

in the US, the airlines now charge for any checked luggage...

Yeh. I notice that. Over in Europe its been like that for a while especially on budget airlines.

We used to fly to the US and be amazed at how many bags you could take. Think those days are gone now. :-(

We do get one free checked bag each on transatlantic flights (and connecting flights)

Yeh. I guess its easy to check the weight since they get weighed anyway but not so easy to measure all the dimensions of a bag and then work out its 64" not 62".

Yeh. I guess its easy to check the weight since they get weighed anyway but not so easy to measure all the dimensions of a bag and then work out its 64" not 62".

Paul, I have taken your approach on this one too. After checking my cabin baggage, while the bag itself falls within the dimensional limits, it is expandable and when expanded it is a couple of inches over. Now although it will be nowhere near the weight limit -not even close - I have to expand it due to the bulk of my camera kit back which I have placed in there and my full sized laoptop. I am applying the same logic as has been posted in the thread in that it is routine to weigh, but not to measure.

I think we should all just take some extra pixie dust. Here's yours :wizard::wizard::wizard:

With hand luggage the budget airpline are using the 'bag gauges' at checkin and then again at boarding. You have to put your hand luggage in the 'gauge' (basket thing) to see if it is within the size limits.

Not sure if they have started to do this on trans-Atlantic flights yet :confused3

With hand luggage the budget airpline are using the 'bag gauges' at checkin and then again at boarding. You have to put your hand luggage in the 'gauge' (basket thing) to see if it is within the size limits.

Not sure if they have started to do this on trans-Atlantic flights yet :confused3

I was about to say this as well. Can't remember seeing them at Orlando but they were definitely there at Newark this year. Only reason I remember is we had the joy of watching a guy who had wedged it in to fit then have to wrestle to get it back out again :rotfl: More staff members were called and everything, it took a good 10-20 minutes and certainly amused me while I waited at security. Would be mortified if it was me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter