Slightly oversized bag - will I get charged?

I was about to say this as well. Can't remember seeing them at Orlando but they were definitely there at Newark this year. Only reason I remember is we had the joy of watching a guy who had wedged it in to fit then have to wrestle to get it back out again :rotfl: More staff members were called and everything, it took a good 10-20 minutes and certainly amused me while I waited at security. Would be mortified if it was me!

They don't check them with a bag drop at EWR do they (changing to get the MCO connection from the UK)? If so, DD is about to find out that my laptop is going into her hand luggage so that I don't have to expand mine :lmao: She can hardly complain - I'm taking her to WDW .... agian!! :laughing:

Our biggest handluggage bag was the maximum allowed dimensions. It was not weighed, measured or even looked at on any of our four flights. Maybe we were lucky as it would have needed a good old squish into the size guide box. But I did see the guages at the gate in MCO and EWR.

I would bet that it won't be a problem.

How the heck to those guages work? Because they give you maximum overall dimensions. So your case can be within the limits but too tall or too deep and not go through?

How the heck to those guages work? Because they give you maximum overall dimensions. So your case can be within the limits but too tall or too deep and not go through?

For hand luggage they usually specify the max dimensions. So its just a cage thing sometimes combined into a weighing scale too.

My hand luggage this time is exactly spot on the max size in all three dimensions. Could be an issue if you count the wheels as well. :-(

For hand luggage they usually specify the max dimensions. So its just a cage thing sometimes combined into a weighing scale too.

My hand luggage this time is exactly spot on the max size in all three dimensions. Could be an issue if you count the wheels as well. :-(

Not sure if it is all airlines, but all the ones I have used have actually pointed out that you need to take the wheels and handles into account so I am okay with that. I still don't get how they work this 'cage' thing though. My dimensions (total) are not to exceed 115 cm. So say I have a bag of 60 x 35 x 20 but the 'cage' is designed on the assumptioni that bags are only 50 cm in height. That would make the piece of luggage appear to be over sized, when in fact it is not.

Ah well, too much thinking :lmao: It's just got me curious now.

The cabin allowances generally specify maximum sizes in all 3 dimensions, not just an overall volume. The gauge is to ensure no individual dimension exceeds it's maximum (including wheels). Of course, there is always the debate over whether the measurements of the gauge are in fact accurate (visually some of them look smaller than the actual allowed size to me).

In practise we haven't been asked to gauge our bags for many years on BA or VA flights. The budget carriers are a very different story though.

They only use the gauges for hand luggage :)

Last time I flre with Ryanair they were checking everyones hand luggage at the gate and if your bag didn't fit they were charging you something like £30 to put it in the hold :eek:

BMIBaby were even worse - their gauge at the gate was different to the ones at checking - they had rounded corners, so even bags that fitted before security wouldn't fit the gauge after!

in the US, the airlines now charge for any checked luggage...

Except for Southwest.

With hand luggage the budget airpline are using the 'bag gauges' at checkin and then again at boarding. You have to put your hand luggage in the 'gauge' (basket thing) to see if it is within the size limits.

I fly all the time and have never been asked to use the gauges. They're there, but I have never been asked to use them. I'm not saying that they don't do this, just that I feel lucky to not have to wait to get on the plane for this process.

However, it might be a good thing for this to become mandatory. I cannot count how many times I have seen someone get on a plane and attempt to cram, shove, and squeeze their over sized carry-on bag (or what they wanted to use for a "carry-on") into the over head bin. I've even seen people do this manuever at the front of the passenger area and then walk to the back of the plane to sit. ?!?!?! That just took over someone else's space. LOL But that's a whole different argument.

I have only had my hand luggage weighed before and never had to put them into the guage. That was with BA.

Last year they just asked us how many checked bags and never even looked that we noticed at our hand luggage. Last year also DH carry bag would not fit into the overhead on the way back from Dublin to Glasgow (very small aircraft) and they just took it and put it in the hold no problem and were really nice about it. That was with Aerlingus.

Ok so we were in no way trying to fiddle the system by not paying if needed and we even expected to be asked but it never happened. This year we might not be so lucky but I have made sure our bags are the right size and like many other PPS they are on the maximum size wheels and all.

i've only had my hand luggage weighed once, and that was when i was flying out of heathrow....in all my flights all over the world, it never happened except at heathrow.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter