slo’s FRIDAY 1/19 poll - Bowling 🎳

Bowling - Do you bowl? In a league? Were you on a team? Just for fun? (m.c.)

• Yes - I currently bowl

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • No - I currently do not bowl

Votes: 57 65.5%
  • I bowl in a league

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I have family member(s) that bowl in a league

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I bowl/bowled on a competitive team - please post where

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I have/had family member(s) that bowl on a competitive team

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • I bowl just for fun with family or friends

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I bowl/bowled professionally

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never bowled

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 6 6.9%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
This poll today was inspired by a Facebook friend whose teenagers are on the local high school bowling team. She’s always posting pictures and about their successes. They’ve been fun to look at because most of my other friends are fellow softball parents or baseball parents. IMO bowling doesn’t get a lot of respect, which is a shame, because it takes a lot of time and talent to get good at it. So, I’m wondering…..

Do you bowl?
Do you or anyone in immediate family bowl in a league?
Did you or anyone in your immediate family bowl on a competitive team (like a HS team)?
Do you bowl just for fun on your own or with others?
(multiple choice)

For Me……I haven’t been bowling in an incredibly long time. When my girls were young I’d take them a few times a year - we always had fun. When I was in middle school I was in a youth bowling league which was a blast. I can honestly say I really have no desire to go now, but I would go if asked.

IMG_1516.jpeg

We used to go bowling all the time just for fun my father bowled league
Sadly I can’t do that anymore thanks to My neck surgery so I haven’t been bowling in 30 years it’s not like I was really good at it but it’s a lot of fun
When my kids were little they often had bowling birthday parties or other kids would have bowling birthday parties and a lot of young people go bowling frequently around here I don’t think it’s as popular as it used to be which is kind of sad it’s a lot of fun

Do you bowl?
Occasionally, but just recreationally. It's popular for birthdays or other celebrations in DH's extended family.

Do you or anyone in immediate family bowl in a league?
Not at the moment, but both my parents did when I was a teenager. I used to fill in for the scorekeeper on my Dad's team when he couldn't make it (back in the days of paper score sheets and math :laughing: )

I used to bowl on a women's league at our local bowling alley when I was an "at home" mom. I wasn't very good, but my high handicap helped my team one year when we won the title for that year. It is fun but eventually I had to return to work.

I still have my bowling ball and we have taken the family bowling occasionally.

I don’t bowl (bad shoulder) but my DH does and goes with friends occasionally. He said they’ve redone all the bowling alleys near us to have arcades, laser tag, and escape rooms and they now have only 6 lanes. He said it’s impossible to book a lane unless you do it weeks in advance. He said they do not have enough lanes to have leagues. This is the bowling alley brand buying all the bowling alleys by me. https://www.sparetimeentertainment.com

I don't bowl and have maybe tried it a couple of times. When my son was small, bowling was the place to have birthday parties but I don't think he's done it since he was in grade school (he's in his 40s now). Back in the 60s, when I was a little girl, my parents were in a bowling league. I have a lot of good memories of going with them and playing in the kids area. It was nothing like it is now, there was a sort of room set up for littles and slightly older kids so all 5 of my brothers and I would go there. Mama and Daddy loved it and they had lots of trophies they had won. I suspect it was just nice for them to be able to have a few hours without us.

I was on what they called a Skid Row bowling team wayyyy back in Colorado. We weren't good at all thus the name.

Haven't played in years but it was always a fun time. Took the sons sometimes when they were young.

We go about once a year as a family.

Dh was in a bowling league when was in his 20’s.

Interestingly, we were out of town last weekend and stumbled on a place that had duck pin bowling. We have never done it before, and it was a lot of fun.

I do not currently bowl. It's been about 25 yrs since my husband and I were on a couple's league that was every other week. I started bowling as a young girl every SAT morning and continued thru Jr. High. Alot of us dropped out around 16 because of "1st jobs". I started up in leagues again when I married. Coincidentally, my gf and I were talking about finding a morning league since we're both retired. Our holdback is worrying about the aching joints we already have!
** I still have my dark green bowling ball in the bag, in the closet!

I bowled in my early years. I won a few trophies and placed in a county tournament.
Our 3 ds were on teams and all went on to be certified bowling coaches and birthday party hosts.
They enjoyed it.

back when we used to go into the office, we should do an afterwork bowling event about once a month (the woman organized it was in a league). It was a fun social event with a bar and food.

Other. Bowling isn’t big here, at least not with anyone I know. At best it’s an occasional recreation. Very occasional. I took my staff out for lunch and bowling just last week but I couldn’t tell you when the last time was I bowled before that and most of the others made similar comments. It may be years before I do it again. I’m in no hurry.

I am horrible at it, despite growing up in Michigan where it's very popular. In grad school, we used to go over to the Garden Bowl in Detroit which is the oldest continually operating bowling alley in the country. Cool place. Here in New England we have something called Candlepin bowling which has a smaller ball and skinny pins. I suck at that too.

I have a cousin who bowled competitively during high school. For a hot second, they thought he might do more with it, but I think he now just bowls in a league. I have only bowled for fun. We used to go all the time while growing up, but bowling can get pricey. It's probably been a good 12+ years since I've even picked up a ball, but the kids will sometimes bowl at parties and team building events. A bowling party at Main Event was the "it" thing to do before other things like Top Golf, iFly and rock climbing parties became more popular.

A lot when I was younger, not so much now, only for fun. My wife joined a league last year so she usually beats me. Only candlepin never tried other types..

Haven’t gone bowling in a few years, but used to bowl a lot. My senior year of high school I bowled on a league with my Dad. He was a very good bowler, his highest score ever was 278. When DH and I got married my best friend became my Dad’s partner and DH and I bowled on the league with them. In fact, I remember bowling one night on the league and giving birth to our son the next day. I bowled on a women’s league for a few years when our kids were little.

I bowled on 2 leagues in the late 90’s. Then they tore down the bowling alley for a chain grocery store and that was it.

It’s been about 10 years since the last time I went bowling. I was never in a league but would go 3 or 4 times per year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter