slo’s FRIDAY 3/8 poll - Artichokes

Artichokes - Do you buy them and how often? (m.c.)

• I buy them

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I used to buy them

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I do not buy them

Votes: 49 53.8%
  • I buy them once or more a month

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I buy them once or more every 6 months

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I buy them about once a year

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I buy them once every couple years

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • I don’t know the last time I bought them

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • I’ve never heard of artichokes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 5 5.5%

• Total voters
We buy them semi regularly based on price. I grew up loving them and we lived 50 miles from where huge amounts were grown. I assume that meant prices were a bit lower for us as my Mom wouldn’t have bought them due to her budget. I remember driving back from Monterey, in 1970, and the vegetable stands had bags of regular size artichokes 10 for a dollar. We cook a few and eat them hot and cold.

I grew up eating fresh artichokes. Still love them, but only get them once or twice a year when they are on sale. Every fair around here has a fried food booth that sells deep fried artichoke hearts, but they of course use the canned ones which are SUCH a disappointment compared to fresh. I may see how expensive they are and buy some for dinner tonight as my dinner menu tonight is up in the air.

I grew up eating fresh artichokes. Still love them, but only get them once or twice a year when they are on sale. Every fair around here has a fried food booth that sells deep fried artichoke hearts, but they of course use the canned ones which are SUCH a disappointment compared to fresh. I may see how expensive they are and buy some for dinner tonight as my dinner menu tonight is up in the air.
The large ones are $2.50 on sale at my ShopRite.

I don't recall having them here. I know I don't buy them, don't think I have ever had one. If 'disguised' in some fashion, maybe I have.

Have a great trip to Florida, Sandy, enjoy your week. We'll miss you, and your fun polls. Hope Kevin is all well again. And enjoy Katie's company, and her softball games. You guys are going to have a ball.

View attachment 840114
Thank you for the thank you Dan ❤️ :goodvibes

Also…..
Thank you to you and all those that wished us well for our trip. Kevin is COVID free and I never got it - thanks be to God! We’re looking forward to some sunshine and especially watching Katie and her teammates play. It’ll be a great week 😎☀️🥎

I buy them in the "off season", but actually grow them in our garden. Love them !! Steam them after trimming some of the outer leaves. And yes, pull a leaf and dip and scrape with your teeth the tender ends. Then as they get smaller and more tender near the center you see the "choke". Spoon that out and you have your nice, tender heart. YUM !
Spring time is when we start to see the artichokes developing on the plants, so coming in a little while/few months !

Happy Friday Everyone :wave:
This is my last poll until Monday 3/18 due to me going on vacation.
I’ll still be on and off The DIS, I just won’t have time for my daily poll.

Artichokes are an interesting looking fruit that eats like a vegetable. I’m curious today….

Do you buy artichokes?
If yes…..how often?
(multiple choice)

*If you buy and cook these, please post a recipe for us that have no idea what to do with them - thanks!

For Me…..I have never bought an artichoke in my adult life. I should Google what to do with them, but I never get around to it. I would like to try making and eating these at least once.

View attachment 840071
Have a great vacation @slo . 😃

We love artichokes. Most times it's the canned or a jarred variety since they were better in things like spinach artichoke dip and pasta dishes; however, I will occasionally buy fresh ones for our dinner veggie. DH and I both grew up with steamed artichokes as our once-in-a-while veggie treat. We both loved dipping the leaves in clarified butter. Not exactly the healthiest of veggie options when you add in that butter component, but it's delicious! Right now, we have a large (Costco sized) jar of marinated artichoke hearts in the fridge. They go great in this pasta salad DH makes with grilled chicken, kalamata olives, and feta.
That sounds delicious!

To eat them, pull off a leaf and scrape the meat off with your teeth......

Yes, I used to buy the fresh ones, cut the pointy ends off, steam them, individually pull off the leaves, dip bottom end in a wonderful melted butter & dill sauce, turn them over and scrape off the "meat" with the bottom of my teeth, as I was given a live tutorial to do. Then, once all the leaves are gone, cut the bottom, center choke heart up (which is the best part ❤️ ) and dip that into the same melted butter.

The only reason I stopped eating them is that one is basically eating 2-3 tablespoons of butter per artichoke. :crazy2: So, while this is a great plant to eat, it's not the healthiest food, eaten this way. I haven't found another healthier sauce to dip them in that I would like. (I've tried diluting the butter with oil.)

I don't care for the marinated in vinegar, bottled artichokes.

What a coincidence. On my plane today I chose a boxed cheese, fruit, and veggie meal. The veggies were olives, a cheese stuffed little red pepper, and an artichoke heart!!!

IMG_5720.jpeg

I buy artichokes. But only if the price is low enough. I'm the only one in my house who eats them.

Never bought a fresh artichoke and pretty sure I’ve never eaten one. I love spinach artichoke dip and use canned artichokes for that.

Just finished my artichoke along with some sauteed scallops. Delicious.

“It may choke Artie, but it ain’t going to choke Stymie.”

We had them growing up. I haven’t had one in a long time now.

Attachments

• IMG_5154.png
    IMG_5154.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter