slo’s THURSDAY 5/2 poll - Tomatoes 🍅

Tomatoes - What types do you buy? (m.c.)

• Roma

Votes: 47 50.5%
  • Snacking

Votes: 35 37.6%
  • Beefsteak

Votes: 32 34.4%
  • On-the-vine

Votes: 57 61.3%
  • Campari

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • Green

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Globe

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Heirloom

Votes: 30 32.3%
  • I don’t buy tomatoes

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 14 15.1%

• Total voters
I did not like tomatoes until well along my adult life. I liked stuff made with tomatoes, just not the tomato itself. Now I enjoy. I know we mostly have the little ones for putting in a salad. I generally only use those at home, not others. When eating out, whatever they put on the food if tomatoes are part of it.

In season I like Romas for salsa and guacamole, and heirlooms for sandwiches/salads. Off season I don't like to buy tomatoes but in a pinch I'll buy cherry tomatoes because they're the closest to real tomatoes.

Roma and Beefsteak (as part of a Capresi salad). I just read an article that claimed tomatoes have the most nutrients of any vegetable/fruit. I'm not sure that's true, but it did make me up my intake this past week.

I remember as a kid having a sliced tomato sandwiches with a little bit of salt sprinkled on it.

Edit: A PP mentions tomato allergies. I'm also "allergic". I tested positive for that as a kid after I'd get all rashy after sitting in mom's garden eating them off the vine. Apparently, I'm not supposed to rub them into my skin, but have no trouble eating them. I'm also "allergic" to bananas. No rubbing them into my skin either, but okay for eating. 🤷‍♀️
I can eat tomatoes just fine, but get small, itchy welts on my arms when I am handling the vines—mostly when staking them. They don’t last long and it’s something I do only a few times a season so I just put up with it.

Love all kinds of tomatoes! From the store I mostly buy on the vine, also grape/cherry tomatoes for salads. In the summer I buy field tomatoes from the farmers market, they are so much better tasting when they are grown outside, with sunshine and rain, instead of in a hothouse. We love making tomato sandwiches, with white toasted bread, slathered with Duke’s mayo, and sprinkled with salt and pepper. Yum!🙂

I’m also a weirdo in that I really dislike fresh tomatoes. I’ve never liked them. However, I eat everything with tomatoes in them.

I do buy tomatoes for my normal family members that eat them. Usually cherry or grape tomatoes during winter and slicing or beefsteak tomatoes in the summer.

When I can’t get fresh ones, I tend to buy Campari. My grandmother ate a bowl of cut up tomatoes every morning. When I think about all the hard, tasteless ones she used to suffer through each off-season morning, I always think how thrilled she would have been to have had Campari’s available. I eat them in her honor.

I buy a lot of canned tomato sauce and diced tomatoes to use in cooking. I don’t buy many fresh tomatoes because they go bad before I can eat them. I do occasionally buy fresh grape tomatoes for my favorite pasta salad.

I only buy them if a recipe calls for them. Usually Grape/Cherry or Roma.
Not a fan of eating them plain.

H-A-T-E raw tomatoes! If you want your kids to hate raw tomatoes too, just do what my parents did - force your kids to eat them. We were given slices of raw beefsteak tomatoes for dinner and we could not leave the table until we finished them. Yeah, don't do that. Just different times I guess 🤷‍♂️

Occasionally in the summer I enjoy eating a fresh local tomato as if it was an apple. Bite in, sprinkle with S&P. Yum.

Or a sliced fresh tomato with plenty of Miracle Whip sandwich.

I don’t eat raw tomatoes, they break my mouth out. I do cook stuff with them however. I always buy Roma because they seem to hold up to cooking.

I love tomatoes! Almost any kind will do. I buy the Campari from Costco all year long to use with taco's or salads.
As soon as our favorite fruit market gets his tomatoes in we buy a basket every week for sandwiches or just sliced.
The strange thing is that I have never been able to stand even the smell of ketchup. I hate to even be in the same
room with it. It used to be so hard to be in the car with the grandkids dipping their fries into ketchup. Now that I think of it, I don't believe any of them eat raw tomatoes!

I do not like tomatoes, raw or cooked. Only in tomato sauce that can not be chunky, I pick out the chunks. Tomato soup is good but again no chunks (Campbells canned tomato is my speed, LOL) I hate the little seeds too I will pick those out if I see them,

I don't like tomatoes (can't stand raw at all, can eat cooked if not chunky), so I generally only buy them if someone else asks me to. I buy canned diced ones for soup or goulash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter