Small Contract owners

In the short window where any purchase of a direct contract got you blue card benefits, I bought a 25 point contract. I figured the difference in price between the direct contract and resale at the time, about $1500, would be recouped by the ability to purchase annual passes. I wasn't wrong! So far, we've racked up over $2500 in savings by purchasing annual passes over length of stay tickets.

I definitely prefer larger contracts for a better deal pp (my rationale is the points won’t go unused!). However, my partner prefers smaller contracts figuring the resale value will be better. We haven’t purchased yet but may in the future. Personally, I don’t like factoring in resale value because you never know, but if I can get a small contract for close to the average price of a larger contract I’ll go for it.

I definitely prefer larger contracts for a better deal pp (my rationale is the points won’t go unused!). However, my partner prefers smaller contracts figuring the resale value will be better. We haven’t purchased yet but may in the future. Personally, I don’t like factoring in resale value because you never know, but if I can get a small contract for close to the average price of a larger contract I’ll go for it.
This is myself and my spouse in a nutshell. She is so focused on the pp wise. Our first two contracts were 115 and 140 SSR and we probably should have just bought one for the total but it just worked out this way. Now I am considering a small contract 40-75 points, and want to hear people's rationale as I am undecided.

There’s a reasonably priced 28pt BWV that listed today.

Reasonable could be different between 1st purchase or add-on though.

Someone adding on is going to have more versatility utilizing it, especially if they already own that specific resort. That adds value to the contract, and in the big picture adding on the higher $pp contract might only slightly raise their average point cost. If somebody bought 100pt contract at $6pp/py and decides to add this 28pt contract at $8pp/py, their average cost is just increasing to ~$6.50pp/py.

A small contract like this as a first purchase is likely to end up wanting more points. Even if $8pp is reasonable, the price of buying the larger contract to start is almost always going to be more reasonable.

In the short window where any purchase of a direct contract got you blue card benefits, I bought a 25 point contract. I figured the difference in price between the direct contract and resale at the time, about $1500, would be recouped by the ability to purchase annual passes. I wasn't wrong! So far, we've racked up over $2500 in savings by purchasing annual passes over length of stay tickets.
We own a 25 point direct.
If only it would qualify for blue card benefits!

This is myself and my spouse in a nutshell. She is so focused on the pp wise. Our first two contracts were 115 and 140 SSR and we probably should have just bought one for the total but it just worked out this way. Now I am considering a small contract 40-75 points, and want to hear people's rationale as I am undecided.

For the same resort? Is there something that adding this amount of points corrects? How likely might you still end up needing/wanting more points? Does the ability to later downsize by around this amount of points matter?

Could you want to add a different resort in the future? Might wish to have lumped this purchase with that?

With DVC we can only take our best guess. Without perfectly predicting the future, consider what is most likely.

For the same resort? Is there something that adding this amount of points corrects? How likely might you still end up needing/wanting more points? Does the ability to later downsize by around this amount of points matter?

Could you want to add a different resort in the future? Might wish to have lumped this purchase with that?

With DVC we can only take our best guess. Without perfectly predicting the future, consider what is most likely.
Yep, ability to downsize and hold value is high on my priority list for sure, plus owning multiple resorts... but I'm also pretty new at this and somewhere down then line the value of an SAP+ may out weigh the hassle of multiple small contracts, probably after staying at many different resorts that special feeling wont be so special, so the dues will become the highest priority. ;)

Funny we thought our 1st contract was small at 200points,,,then did an add on of 240. But we tend to stay longer and in at least 1bdrms. Still wanting to add on another of our small contracts, lol
I can't even imagine buying 200 points (on one contract). That scares the heck out of me. lol
But i do hope to get to the point where I am staying longer and in 1bdrm.

We only have a small (80pt) contract. While we (mostly me) love Disney, I could not imagine having a larger contract. When looking I knew I wanted something smaller so we could go every year, or bank/borrow every few years and get a larger room to invite more people with us. Actually, I mostly bought a contract because I was pricing out a trip for this fall and the cost of the contract was only ~$4k more than renting points. When accounting for fees and the 2042 expiration, it fits perfectly into our vacation rotation.

This isn't meant to be a thread hijack, but I think other people with small contracts might be curious as well. It's regarding small contracts. Last spring I bought a 100 point Polynesian contract and now I have my original direct contract plus the Poly. My family and I went to Aulani in November and had to use the points from the Polynesian contract for the last two days. Because we booked off two separate contracts (7 from original contract and 2 from the new one) we did have to check in again at the front desk for those last two days. Is there a way to transfer all the points onto one contract and then book? Thanks for the help.

*Just prior to trip member services helped us connect the 2 reservations so we didn't have to change rooms, in case anyone is worried about that. They were fantastic as usual!

This isn't meant to be a thread hijack, but I think other people with small contracts might be curious as well. It's regarding small contracts. Last spring I bought a 100 point Polynesian contract and now I have my original direct contract plus the Poly. My family and I went to Aulani in November and had to use the points from the Polynesian contract for the last two days. Because we booked off two separate contracts (7 from original contract and 2 from the new one) we did have to check in again at the front desk for those last two days. Is there a way to transfer all the points onto one contract and then book? Thanks for the help.

*Just prior to trip member services helped us connect the 2 reservations so we didn't have to change rooms, in case anyone is worried about that. They were fantastic as usual!
Pretty sure they can merge the reservations, so you wouldn't need to check in twice either.

Member services can merge them if it’s the same membership, same occupants and same room size/view.

Even though our contracts are same use year we added the kids to our direct contract so it is a different membership.

I don’t think MS can merge in this case, even if the other details were same.

We have 2 small contracts. One was purchased in a different UY for summer trips we may or may not take. I didn’t want a large one for that to end up with a ton of banked points if we skip a trip. The second one was for home resort booking, we like split stays.

When I buy direct next month I'm splitting it 3 ways into 150, 50 and 50 point deeds. The thought is if I ever sell, the 50 point contracts should net more than the extra $250 price per deed.

On the resale purchase side, larger deeds will come at a lower cost compared to piecing together multiple smaller deeds. If you know how many points you need AND have the funds buying large deed all at once makes sense. Smaller deeds can make sense if you want to ease into dvc or as a supplement to a previous purchase.

When I buy direct next month I'm splitting it 3 ways into 150, 50 and 50 point deeds. The thought is if I ever sell, the 50 point contracts should net more than the extra $250 price per deed.

On the resale purchase side, larger deeds will come at a lower cost compared to piecing together multiple smaller deeds. If you know how many points you need AND have the funds buying large deed all at once makes sense. Smaller deeds can make sense if you want to ease into dvc or as a supplement to a previous purchase.
Yeah the smaller deeds are great for testing the waters and not biting off more than you can chew.

That’s how we started with DVC. I just wasn’t confident to take the full plunge.

In hindsight wish we would’ve bought a bigger 1st contract. Doubling it would’ve saved a total $1000. It was easier to accept after one of the direct incentives gave an extra $1k off for existing members. We sort of got that money back. The smaller deed that made us eligible. :laughing: Helps me sleep at night.

We have had this issue multiple times with our small contracts.

When we check in on day one, we let the front desk know that we have the same room type and category, just two different memberships.

We have always had luck staying in the same room after this approach.

Sometimes the room assignor sees this ahead, but sometimes the front desk manager can help out and see the solution to keep you in the same room.

Good questions.

We both really enjoy SSR, as does our son. However I bought these points as SAP's because it was a great deal and some of our trips are spontaneous ones so having lots of points made sense to me. Going forward i expect to end up with 600-800 points over the next 4 years of buying at One Monorail resort, possibly Riv(prob direct), and an Epcot area resort as well.

I hadn't given the small contracts much thought because of the above goal but they are more tempting as I wouldn't have to finance those in all likelihood.

I bought a small 100 point contract because I could pay cash, can sustain the dues until 2042, and wanted to be a DVC owner from my first trip. Now I also get the chance to get sucked into direct ownership at a tiny discount!

A small cash resale contract allows me to dream for free whenever I wish. Who knows, maybe the 25 point blue card will return momentarily and I can be first in line!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter