Smugglers run, kids as pilot

I’ve been on it a lot. I’m a terrible pilot. My favorite ride was when I was odd man out and the rest of my family got a different ride, leaving me to be assigned to pilot by the CM. I quickly invited an under 9 year old girl to take my position next to her Dad. Seeing them play pilot together was awesome. They were much better pilots than I would have been. Also, I like banging around. It’s the MF. It’s supposed to take a bit of a beating.

I have rode it multiple times via regular line and single rider. Definitely enjoy the pilot position the best. But I have also switched w a kid when I end up as the pilot after going through the regular line. My last ride was recently it was late in the day the ride was basically walk on. The CM let everyone basically form their own groups to we could all be pilots instead of sticking the 6 people who weren’t together in line as 1 crew. Do wish they introduce some other missions like Star Tours does in the future.

I have ridden this exactly twice and will probably only ever ride again if I happen to be with someone who wants to experience it. I have ZERO interest in an attraction where the experience of complete strangers depends on my ability to play a video game.

On one of my two rides the couple in the pilots seats bitterly argued, accused and blamed each other the whole way out of the ride after it was over. For allI I know they’re still fighting today. Over a score on a ride in a theme park.

I have ridden this exactly twice and will probably only ever ride again if I happen to be with someone who wants to experience it. I have ZERO interest in an attraction where the experience of complete strangers depends on my ability to play a video game.

On one of my two rides the couple in the pilots seats bitterly argued, accused and blamed each other the whole way out of the ride after it was over. For allI I know they’re still fighting today. Over a score on a ride in a theme park.
As a Greek, let me introduce you to my people. We argue all day about everything. It’s a cultural thing. If you ask why we’re arguing, we’ll often look confused and answer that we weren’t arguing at all, because to us, it was simple banter. To the rest of the world, it’s unsettling. Those people will tell you today that they loved the ride and had a great vacation. (Then, they’ll argue about what exactly happened until interrupted briefly by their next meal.)
So, yes, they’re still fighting today. But they don’t know it. 😜

Near end of one evening, with short queue, I was offered a pilot seat even though I was a lone traveler. I was cautiously optimistic as decades ago, in the halcyon days of 25¢ arcade games, I was a fairly skilled player at a number of games. But man...things definitely have evolved. I and the other pilot weren't doing a great job, and it was a little embarrassing to hear somebody (an engineer, I guess) say "We seem to be crashing a lot." All those years of Space Invaders, Asteroids and Moon Patrol didn't help me. There is a lot going on for a young pilot to grasp, but the whole thing is so "out there" anyway that most people still like it. The company owner, Hondo Whatshisname (forgot, sorry), provides a funny presence throughout.

I've only ridden it once, back when policy was one party to a vehicle (I usually travel solo) and I chose to be pilot just to see how it worked since everyone always said that that was THE position to get.......listen if a plane is ever failing and we are going down just...just let it go on it's own, there are FAR worse ways for it to go as I very clearly demonstrated, it'd probably be a smoother crash.

As a Greek, let me introduce you to my people. We argue all day about everything. It’s a cultural thing. If you ask why we’re arguing, we’ll often look confused and answer that we weren’t arguing at all, because to us, it was simple banter. To the rest of the world, it’s unsettling. Those people will tell you today that they loved the ride and had a great vacation. (Then, they’ll argue about what exactly happened until interrupted briefly by their next meal.)
So, yes, they’re still fighting today. But they don’t know it. 😜
Well now I know my lineage!!! That’s sooo me….And one of my favorite bosses ever was this larger-than-life Greek guy who folks either loved or hated. Now I totally want to do 23 and Me to actually find out 😂😂😂

I've only ridden it once, back when policy was one party to a vehicle (I usually travel solo) and I chose to be pilot just to see how it worked since everyone always said that that was THE position to get.......listen if a plane is ever failing and we are going down just...just let it go on it's own, there are FAR worse ways for it to go as I very clearly demonstrated, it'd probably be a smoother crash.

It was a walk on when my husband and I went just before close, and we got our own falcon and clearly, I am not a good pilot. I'll gladly button smash as an engineer every time :rotfl2:

Rode it for the first (and last) time during an AH earlier this year. Got an engineer seat, and one of the pilots was a little kid. She seemed to do pretty well...but I didn't get to watch much of what was happening since I had to watch the lights/buttons.
Glad I did it once...but nothing but a glorified arcade game.

It is true that the rear crew stations are poorly designed. All of the action is happening out the main viewport up front; meanwhile you are staring at a side panel of buttons and flashing lights. Sorry for the O/T, but something to be aware of if you should be deemed not pilot material.

We had 2 capable-looking men flying the craft and it still crashed multiple times. My husband was one of the pilots and of course he blamed the other guy for all their mishaps. Overall, we had fun and it was really nice seeing the queue and the cabin.

I think it comes down to the capabilities of the child and nerves of the group. I have seen 10 year olds fly admirably well. I have also ridden with a family that put both kids up front and we essentially crashed the entire way through. Another person on the ride was very upset that after waiting a long time in line (this was shortly after it opened), they had no fun at all. If the child can understand the instructions and follow through, more power to them

Counterpoint is there’d nothing I’d have loved more as a six-year-old than piloting the Falcon.
My grandson who is 6 is heading back to WDW in December and his ONLY request for the vacation is to be the pilot, as his older brother got to do it last trip!

I think it comes down to the capabilities of the child and nerves of the group. I have seen 10 year olds fly admirably well. I have also ridden with a family that put both kids up front and we essentially crashed the entire way through. Another person on the ride was very upset that after waiting a long time in line (this was shortly after it opened), they had no fun at all. If the child can understand the instructions and follow through, more power to them
I just rode as a SR, with two couples who had the men be the pilots, and they were terrible. It was painful to see how the two women...tried to pretend otherwise.

The women weren't any better though. The woman in front of me was completely oblivious. None of them had any idea that BRIGHT BLINKING light = push that button.

But then, I've also been on MiB many times as a Single Rider. Few people know to push the red button, even though the narrator is YELLING at riders to PUSH THE RED BUTTON! and the preshow clearly explains the purpose of the red button. It is somewhat comical how very little people pay attention to the attraction they are riding.

Compared to MiB, MF doesn't do nearly as good a job of giving directions to riders.

Hs needs a great deal more rider capacity. It just doesn't have enough attractions to absorb enough parkgoers.

Had a kid pilot the one and only time I rode this. I left with bruises all over my back and leg that was touching the wall. My mom was pretty banged up too. We actually wondered if it was supposed to be so awful or if it was because a kindergartener was pilot. Now I know. Never again.

Had a kid pilot the one and only time I rode this. I left with bruises all over my back and leg that was touching the wall. My mom was pretty banged up too. We actually wondered if it was supposed to be so awful or if it was because a kindergartener was pilot. Now I know. Never again.
Yep, I actively try to avoid being stuck with families with small children. Last solo trip I was put with a group of 3 other adults, apparently no engineers are needed, was good fun.

Huh? We had a child & mom pilot last we rode. My wife and I were back in the engineer positions. I can’t think of any reason the pilot situation should cause you to actually get injured.

We were mostly amused by mom urgently telling the kid what to do 😂 whatever the child’s age was their reaction time wasn’t up to snuff quite yet. Dad & kid 2 were the gunners.

Dear Disney, please make the pilot position for older kids/adults. We got stuck with a six year old as pilot and all we did was crash. I felt like we should’ve been given a re-ride with a more capable pilot. I get that kids are there, but put them as gunners! Or any less important role. Even better, combine families with littles together in one simulator, and pair up adults. This was our only disappointment during our day at Galaxies Edge. Rant over….
I don’t play video games or even like Star Wars and never choose to ride this but……

We were there with our Star Wars loving 5 year old granddaughter last month and she and I were assigned pilot. I practically begged for someone else in the group to take our spots but nobody did. We pretty much went from crash to crash. No one enjoyed the ride but we did offer!IMG_3600.jpeg

I think the solution to the problem of bad piloting on this ride is for AI to kick-in when the pilots are obviously incapable. Anyone should have the right to pilot but not to the extreme detriment of the other riders. A little crashing and mistakes are funny but those who claim that you cannot be injured by bad piloting are simply incorrect.

We had some pilots last time we rode (who happened to be young children) who crashed so much that even Hondo was annoyed (they were not listening to his instructions and usually doing the opposite of what he said). It wasn't cute, it wasn't charming, it wasn't hilarious in a "what -will-go-wrong-next" kind of way. Now I know what is feels like to be a cat shaken in the mouth of a cat-killing dog (minus the final outcome, of course).

This ride can be so fun in the right circumstances and so painful (literally) with the wrong pilots. The imagineers really missed the mark here and, hopefully, they will upgrade the ride soon.

I think the solution to the problem of bad piloting on this ride is for AI to kick-in when the pilots are obviously incapable. Anyone should have the right to pilot but not to the extreme detriment of the other riders. A little crashing and mistakes are funny but those who claim that you cannot be injured by bad piloting are simply incorrect.

We had some pilots last time we rode (who happened to be young children) who crashed so much that even Hondo was annoyed (they were not listening to his instructions and usually doing the opposite of what he said). It wasn't cute, it wasn't charming, it wasn't hilarious in a "what -will-go-wrong-next" kind of way. Now I know what is feels like to be a cat shaken in the mouth of a cat-killing dog (minus the final outcome, of course).

This ride can be so fun in the right circumstances and so painful (literally) with the wrong pilots. The imagineers really missed the mark here and, hopefully, they will upgrade the ride soon.
This is a very funny thread in general because I totally get it and I've always braced myself when younger kids are at the helm, bolded is *partly* a solution but I'll also note that the controls are VERY sensitive and they could probably solve a lot of the issues here by reducing the sensitivity. My first attempt at pilot did not go well, second went much better once I realized that you could avoid a lot of crashing just by being careful with the controls.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter