So annoyed by Magic Band +

I suppose she doesn't need one, but she is 13 and wants one since all of the other kids have one. It is much easier vs carrying a phone everywhere to open the room door and scan into parks. My kids don't take their phones to the pool so the bands come in handy. I see no reason why Disney can't stock regular magic bands to be ordered for a cost on MDE. There aren't any right now except for the pre-order MK land bands for $25.
Fair enough. Just wanted to point out that there is another alternative to MB and phones. The simple KTTW card.

I just went to shop disney and still can only find MB+ - no regular MB. Are others seeing these as options somewhere? I was also at a resort not too long ago and could only find MB+ in the gift shops. And the vast majority are $45!

So if you don't have an old MB to use - you have to use your KTTW card in all of the LLs right?

I have an upcoming reservation and just looked on the website. The only options showing for me to purchase at a discount with our reservation are MB+.
Same here. Once in a blue moon a very small selection of MB2 shows up, but I don’t see any today.

I finally tried MB+ out on our trip last May and I am not a fan at all. They are just very poorly designed, the way they pop off constantly is horrible. I nearly lost mine twice in the parks, even with an old AP slider on it to hold it in place. I like to collect bands for the designs but I have a hard time seeing the value in added hassle and no real perks.

Plus, Magic Mobile has improved to the point where there’s no lag hiccups anymore when tapping in with my Apple Watch the way there once was when the service first launched. If they would just allow you to open your room with it I would have no practical reason to bring bands anymore. But I don’t like having to remember cards and I have literally never been able to get the app to open my door, it always glitches out. We will most likely purchase MB+ for this trip just because we are going on the Wish after the parks and will be able to utilize it on the ship.

I just went to shop disney and still can only find MB+ - no regular MB. Are others seeing these as options somewhere? I was also at a resort not too long ago and could only find MB+ in the gift shops. And the vast majority are $45!

So if you don't have an old MB to use - you have to use your KTTW card in all of the LLs right?
You can use your phone, I believe all of my family are linked, so I can see their tickets/passes, so I could use my phone for everyone's LLs. I just always get the KTTW card. I have an AP and have to carry that around, all though a CM recently wanted to see it on my phone. I had a trip with first timers with small kids and they just used their cards, they have never used a band, so they didn't miss it.

I remember the days when I would threaten to throw DH's crackberry into the 7 Seas Lagoon and now I have to be tied to the phone constantly. I hate it.

ETA: according to my daughter just seeing the passes on the phone does NOT work unless you can add the pass to your wallet! So only if you manage their account can you tap your phone for their LL's. UGH why is this so complicated.

Last edited:
Same here. Once in a blue moon a very small selection of MB2 shows up, but I don’t see any today.

I finally tried MB+ out on our trip last May and I am not a fan at all. They are just very poorly designed, the way they pop off constantly is horrible. I nearly lost mine twice in the parks, even with an old AP slider on it to hold it in place. I like to collect bands for the designs but I have a hard time seeing the value in added hassle and no real perks.

Plus, Magic Mobile has improved to the point where there’s no lag hiccups anymore when tapping in with my Apple Watch the way there once was when the service first launched. If they would just allow you to open your room with it I would have no practical reason to bring bands anymore. But I don’t like having to remember cards and I have literally never been able to get the app to open my door, it always glitches out. We will most likely purchase MB+ for this trip just because we are going on the Wish after the parks and will be able to utilize it on the ship.
i took to securing mine every day with a bandaid as it popped off so much. Not a fan of the Magic Band+ either.

Not what I want to hear when I just ordered a magic band + for my husband for our upcoming trip (his og mb from 2016 didn't pick up any ride photos so I figured might as well).

I have an upcoming reservation and just looked on the website. The only options showing for me to purchase at a discount with our reservation are MB+.
I'm currently seeing 5 MagicBand 2's (Liberty Square, Tomorrowland, Frontierland, Adventureland, Main St USA) pre-arrival price $24.99, show at the end after all the MB+

I'm in Chrome on my desktop.

It is also now on MDE in Firefox. It was not there this morning. I have an upcoming stay and AP, so I can always order one. I wonder if it's a random thing?

If my old MBs finally shoot craps, I will switch back to using a card and wearing a lanyard like I do at Universal.
Your old MB will be ok for opening your resort room door, tapping in at the park gate, making purchases, and using LL. For those things your MB works just like a key card which obviously has no battery power either. The only feature that will wear out on your old MB is ride photos because that requires a battery.

I'm going back to the parks after a couple years. It seems you can only get MB+ now? They're so expensive. I also have friends who are coming for the very first time and only staying a couple days. They likely won't be back - at least not for several years. If they don't purchase MB+ will they have to pull out their tickets or phone for everything?
Not true. This past Sept I bought MB's online w/o the "+" features to save $. We never missed whatever those features are!

In December, when I was last there, there were still a very few MB2's on sale in the resort shops. You have to root around for them, because they were hidden behind MB+s. And, of course, if you buy them on-site they cost more than the ones you can preorder for your trip.

I've been looking at MDE for a while since we have a trip next month and so far the $9.99 MB2s have not been offered--and I got one of those for the December trip. But, OP, if I were you, I'd keep looking. Because maybe they'll show up again. The $25 MB2s that were available for trip preorder when I looked just yesterday were (a) too much $ for an MB2 and (b) not very attractive.

I have a bunch of older MB I like, and do not plan to buy any MB+. I looked at MDE, and since my upcoming stay is not on property, if I click on shop MB it takes me to shop Disney.

Not a Disney Resort Guest or Annual Passholder?
Shop MagicBand+ online at shopDisney.com or in person at Walt Disney World Resort.

I know the word “package” has been to describe being able to purchase on MDE for a discount. I have a “room-only” reservation and can still purchase the MB+/MB 2 at a discount. Just didn’t want someone to think the had to have a package. I’m probably splitting hairs😂

We are at WDW now. My sister was looking for a regular MB. The only place we found them was the contemporary gift shop. The other resorts we looked in and all the parks were out. Said they are being phased out and only a few are left.

She broke down and bought a MB+ as she’s going on a Disney cruise next month. 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter