So are wagons allowed or not?

Mexacajun

DIS Veteran
I was in Disney World a couple of weeks ago and noticed several families with wagons which I thought had been banned in Disney. Just curious as I have friends coming with me over the summer and they would really like to use one with their two young kids.

I saw them as well during our trip in April. When crowds aren't bad they work ok. When it gets packed they become impossible.

I was in Disney World a couple of weeks ago and noticed several families with wagons which I thought had been banned in Disney. Just curious as I have friends coming with me over the summer and they would really like to use one with their two young kids.

Officially, NO -
  • Strollers must be 31” (79cm) wide and 52” (132cm) long or smaller.
  • As a reminder, wagons are not permitted in our parks. Stroller wagons will also no longer be permitted.
(from: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com)

You may have seen a wagon tagged as a wheelchair for a child with specific special needs or something?? (I don't actually know if they do that, just my best guess.)

Wagons -- or stroller-wagons -- are on the Prohibited list:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/

10th and 11th bullets down the list of Prohibited Items:
  • Strollers that are greater than 31" (79 cm) in width and 52" (132 cm) in length. Stroller wagons are also prohibited.
  • Wagons are prohibited at any theme park or water park. Wagons are prohibited at indoor venues at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex.

I'm here right now and have seen A LOT of wagons. I assumed they were all wheelchair tagged but none of the ones I've seen had tags on them. Some of these wagons are so large that I wonder how they were even allowed in. They were absolutely over the size limit.

I'm here right now and have seen A LOT of wagons. I assumed they were all wheelchair tagged but none of the ones I've seen had tags on them. Some of these wagons are so large that I wonder how they were even allowed in. They were absolutely over the size limit.
I'm just back and I also saw many, many wagons. Really surprised me.

I'm just back and I also saw many, many wagons. Really surprised me.
This was my experience a few weeks back.

Our friends coming with us bought a very expensive wagon and we’re super excited to have it for Disney and sent me pictures and I felt so bad breaking it to them that it wasn’t allowed and then I show up at the parks and see multiple.

They seemed more strict in the beginning. Then we startd noticing more but it’s nowhere near how many we saw before they put on prohibited list.

I don’t know if some are getting through even without ‘specific needs’ tag. At this point it is still a big risk to try getting one into the park. It’s still prohibited. I think that has discouraged most people who have something else that could work.

I go to Disneyland all the time and always see wagons. But I have also watched Security stopping families with wagons coming out of the parking structures heading to security to discuss the wagon. And I have seen a lot turned around sent back to the car to put them back. Since we are often in the handicap areas (wheelchair party that cannot go through many lines at Disneyland), I will look over at those with wagons and every one of them has 2 tags on it (a blue one denoting the wagon is approved and a secondary tag for stroller as wheelchair - I think they are currently dark pink or green but they have been changing a lot).

So I would assume all of the ones at WDW are approved. I had seen in a few Facebook groups that families were told to "hide" their wagon approval tags because others were stealing them to get their wagons in. I believe they just have to show them when asked so would be readily available if questioned.

Hey! Disney actually banned wagons and stroller wagons a while back. I’m guessing the ones you saw might have been those fancy approved strollers that look like wagons. Best to check Disney's official guidelines just to be safe!

According to the Disney website, they're not allowed. Even though some people seem to get them in, I wouldn't take that chance. Not worth the hassle if the cast member follows the guidelines.

Wagons in the park have to be wheelchair tagged and push, not pull. CMs at the gate are still very good at flagging people without wheelchair tags. And they do still turn wagons away daily.

That said, do people abuse the system? Yes. You can also have a stroller tagged as a wheelchair and sometimes one child who is 2 years old could've easily had a stroller tagged, but they bring the wagon instead and pile in 4 kids and all of their drinks and lunches, and half of their hotel room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter