So just how good is Kona coffee?!

cd&kids

DIS Veteran
Very excited about trying Kona Cafe for breakfast on our trip next month. Tonga Toast and Kona coffee!
I'm a big coffee lover. Please tell me how good it is! Best you've ever tried? Overated?
Also....can someone tell me the difference on the menu between "Kona Blend Coffee" and "100% Kona Press Pots?" Is the last one the same coffee, but a pot of it?!
Thanks!

Although I am not a coffee drinker, my sister in law became obsessed with Kona coffee during our December trip, saying it was the best coffee she'd ever had. Thank goodness we were staying at the Poly so she could get her morning "fix" every day!!

She loved it so much that she bought a thermos and had them fill it with this coffee for our car trip home ;)

Sorry I don't know the difference in the menu descriptions, but I'm sure other Dis'ers will!!

Thanks Kim&Chris. I see you'll be down just about the same time we will (9/27 thru 10/4). Maybe we'll see you for coffee!
And I see you're staying at Wilderness Lodge. Stayed there in '96 and absolutely loved it...just a phenomenal resort. (Try to do the private tour in mid afternoon. We didn't...and regret it!!)

Definitely the BEST coffee we have ever had. On our first morning at the Poly last year we had breakfast at Kona Cafe and ordered the 100% Kona Press Pot. It was the richest, smoothest and most full bodied coffee I have ever tasted (we always grind our beans fresh at home and make in a press pot, so we are used to pretty good coffee). As we were enjoying that first breakfast, I remarked to my Hubby that we were going to have breakfast in the MK the next morning. He said "No, we are having breakfast here at the Kona Cafe every day for the rest of the trip, because I MUST have this coffee as much as possible!" and I couldn't argue with him. So we did.

Also, I spent $80 on 100% Kona and the Kona Blend to take home. Call me nuts, but we rationed it and enjoyed it past Christmas.

When we go down in November we are bringing our grinder and press pot, getting a bag of beans at Kona Cafe, and brewing in our room every morning.

I hope you love it as much as we do!

Yes, it is WONDERFUL! DH and I are coffee snobs, I always use freshly ground organic blends, and like it on the strong side. We ate breakfast at the Kona 3 of 4 mornings we stayed at the Poly last Jan., and that was one of the reasons. Other reasons were the lilikoi juice and the general breakfast offerings. We sampled a different choice each day and shared each others' too, and it was all excellent!

I notice you mention Tonga toast - DH had it and loved it, but it was very sweet, and even though he is a very big eater, he couldn't finish it. Also, our server suggested that I have something not so sweet, so when we shared, it would offset the sweetness (hope this is making sense!). I had the Eggs Benedict that morning and it was a good combo, though mine was soooo good I hated to part with any of it!

Enjoy!

We're having dinner at Ohana's. Unfortunately we're not at the Poly. Can I have this coffee at Ohana's, or is it exclusive to Kona? Thanks for the info.

There is counter service coffee just outside and around the corner from the Kona Cafe. I believe you can get the Kona coffee there. Anybody know for sure? Kona is a great spot for breakfast.

Does anyone know if this is the same coffee that is served at the concierage service? We are staying there in November and wondered if we had to be at the cafe to try it.

Defiantly try the pressed pot. We always stop at Kona's for a late breakfest at least once while at WDW. I agree that the tonga toast is very sweet. It is great for those that have a sweet tooth in the morning!

Guys, these are great responses...I appreciate them all and am looking forward more than ever to the coffee!
But can anyone explain the difference I see on the menu? "Kona Blend Coffee for $2.59" and "100% Kona Press Pots $6.99"
Are they two different coffees? Or is one a potful of the same coffee as opposed to one cup?
Thanks!

I've never actually had the pressed pot myself, but we always eat breakfast at Kona at least once per trip and I've seen it served. Once Mrs. U orderd "Kona" coffeee, and our server asked which we wanted--the Kona in a cup, or the presed pot?? When she asked what the difference was, he said--'Oh the Pot is a much stronger version".

I thought the Kona blend was a mixture of Kona and "other" types of coffee, whereas the 100% Kona press pot would be pure Kona coffee. I haven't had the "100%", but the Kona blend is very good. I'll try the pure Kona next trip. I'd also be interested in knowing the size of the pot. No one else in my family drinks coffee:eek: so I'll be drinking it all by myself.

I had the Kona in the pressed pot for the first time last December. I adored it!! There is definitely enough for two people in one pressed pot. Very strong, but gave me that boost of energy to hit the MK right after breakfast, LOL! I am looking forward to having it again this Nov/Dec..

Micca:
Believe you are correct--the "pressed pot" is the pure stuff, while the other is a Kona based blend.
But I do think the pressed method of brewing makes a stronger brew.

Is this pressed pot, the Kona coffee made in a french press?

We make our coffe with a french press all the time here at home. Its definetely stronger.

Do you get it in the french press? Just wondering..

$6.99 for one pot! I bought a decent french press for about $25 and spulrge on the nice beans and grind them..

$6.99 for the press pot of 100% Kona was a bargain to us--it was soooooooooooooooooooooooo good. The other option is the Kona Blend, which is also excellent, but I recommend at least one press pot. DH and I were perfectly content to share a pot each morning.

If you buy beans to take home, as I did, be warned that you will pay over $40 for 12 ounces of 100% Kona. We got one bag of 100% and two bags of blend to take home. I got whole beans, but they will also grind for you. I checked several sources on the web for Kona from Hawaii, and Disney's price was right on the money. (Disney flies it in from Hawaii weekly, so I've heard).

By law, Kona blend only has to have 10% Kona coffee. Truth in Labeling Bill

I'm afraid, barbeml, $40 for 12oz sounds steep to me. I went to Hawaii in May and we could get a pound (16oz) of 100% Kona for $22 at Greenwell Farms. Now, I know, you think, "but that's in Hawaii", but I bought a pound here in Ohio in December as a Christmas present for $25. You can order from Greenwell Farms' website as well as from other farms online! 100% Kona peaberry (round, small coffee beans with a sweeter flavor) is more expensive. I've seen it for $30/lb.

Anyway, Kona coffee is good and drink it any time you can find it, I say!:tongue:

If you ever find yourself in Kona on the Big Island, visit a coffee farm. It's really fun and we learned a lot!

Thanks for the info Laura. I had found three or four farm sites from Hawaii and they wanted $38 to $48 per pound, plus $10 shipping on average. That was last year.

I'm not a coffee drinker; in fact I've only had two cups total.
One was in a styrofoam cup from a roadside stand -- you can imagine.
The other was 100% Kona coffee at a visitor center in Kona, HI during a tour of the big island.

It was heaven!!! I thought they must have spiked it with brown sugar. And I don't even like coffee! If I do ever have a third cup, it may well be at the Polynesian.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter