So much Disney food is terrible

Honestly, it is about logistics. You have 160,000 visitors to Parks on every day. How reasonable is it to expect ready to eat food prepared quickly. And to price it reasonably. My local BBQ joint, smokes their hamburger patties and their meat is never frozen. Of course its delicious and made when you order it and its more expensive. Imagine having to do that on the scale that Disney does? Unless you want people waiting 30 minutes after ordering and complaining about paying 40 percent more than they do now, I think folks are dreaming that Disney does this..
Except WDW does have a smokehouse. It is over at Wilderness Lodge. I think all 3 eateries there serve meat that is smoked. the smoked turkey sandwich at Roaring forks is one of the better QS options at WDW, IMO. Now, where it could be better is if they had more sides. There's also the Polite Pig in Disney Springs.

Disney made a choice some years back to streamline and cut costs. There's no reason they can't reverse that choice.

If AK can have Satuli, then why can't WDW update the QS options in MK? I mean, they already have changed the food offerings in MK a great many times over the last 50 years. It is very feasible for them to update the offerings again.

Disagree.

Primo Piatto and Gasparilla are widely known as the best resort quick services on property. Geyser Point also kind of counts and is very well regarded.

All the value QS are basically the same now (not good), with slight exception for AA, and even they’ve dropped off since removing make your own pasta.
I have not been to AoA recently. It used to have an excellent tandoori section back in 2019, but I think it went away a short time after we ate there. Now, as Indian food goes, the offerings were extremely tame/very Americanized, but they had delicious roasted squash, naan, basmati rice, and (I think) tandoori chicken. I also recall having saag paneer. Again, not at all spicy, but still a fun option for a food court for a very reasonable price.

On my most recent trip though Gasparilla was a let down. IMO, the quality there has gone up and down over the least ten years. During the pandemic, Gasparilla Grill was at a low. They have brought back a bit more variety, but it was not as good as it was ten years ago. Ten years ago, it was one of the top QS on property. (though that was before Pandora and Black Spire Outpost opened.)

Though that was the era when all of WDW had really lousy pizza property-wide, before Via Napoli opened. The pizza at the Boardwalk is also not too bad. They need more topping options, but it is otherwise okay. When we dined there in March, we also had an excellent waitperson.

Once upon a time, Kona Cafe had the most fantastic desserts, and every visit they always had new ones! For kids, they had an adorable Mickey-face sundae that came with small cups of toppings children could add. We used to look forward to going there. Back then, Kona's sushi bar also offered a wider variety of custom sushi.

Disagree.

Primo Piatto and Gasparilla are widely known as the best resort quick services on property. Geyser Point also kind of counts and is very well regarded.

All the value QS are basically the same now (not good), with slight exception for AA, and even they’ve dropped off since removing make your own pasta.

I was really unimpressed with Gasparilla's choices when I stayed at GF a few months back.

There's been lots of streamlining of QS menus all over Disney and it's been really sad to see them lose essentially their theming and individuality.

One of my favorite QS meals used to be Sassagoula over at French Quarter. They used to have shrimp and grits, jambalaya, po boys, etc. All fitting within the theme and delicious too. Now, it's burgers, pizza, and chicken strips just like the rest of them. I actually decided not to stay there recently because of this because what was once a positive for dining was now a negative.

I was really unimpressed with Gasparilla's choices when I stayed at GF a few months back.

There's been lots of streamlining of QS menus all over Disney and it's been really sad to see them lose essentially their theming and individuality.

One of my favorite QS meals used to be Sassagoula over at French Quarter. They used to have shrimp and grits, jambalaya, po boys, etc. All fitting within the theme and delicious too. Now, it's burgers, pizza, and chicken strips just like the rest of them. I actually decided not to stay there recently because of this because what was once a positive for dining was now a negative.
Not sure about the po boys, but POFQ still has the shrimp and grits and jambalaya on the menu. You just won’t see it online on the Disney website or mobile order. But you can still order it once you’re there.

I’ve noticed that many of the resort quick services have limited menus online, but they have more variety or specials once you’re there.

I have not been to AoA recently. It used to have an excellent tandoori section back in 2019, but I think it went away a short time after we ate there. Now, as Indian food goes, the offerings were extremely tame/very Americanized, but they had delicious roasted squash, naan, basmati rice, and (I think) tandoori chicken. I also recall having saag paneer. Again, not at all spicy, but still a fun option for a food court for a very reasonable price.

On my most recent trip though Gasparilla was a let down. IMO, the quality there has gone up and down over the least ten years. During the pandemic, Gasparilla Grill was at a low. They have brought back a bit more variety, but it was not as good as it was ten years ago. Ten years ago, it was one of the top QS on property. (though that was before Pandora and Black Spire Outpost opened.)

Though that was the era when all of WDW had really lousy pizza property-wide, before Via Napoli opened. The pizza at the Boardwalk is also not too bad. They need more topping options, but it is otherwise okay. When we dined there in March, we also had an excellent waitperson.

Once upon a time, Kona Cafe had the most fantastic desserts, and every visit they always had new ones! For kids, they had an adorable Mickey-face sundae that came with small cups of toppings children could add. We used to look forward to going there. Back then, Kona's sushi bar also offered a wider variety of custom sushi.

AoA still has the Tandoori. It's good.

I went to Gasparilla about 18 months ago and it was excellent.

At any rate...maybe the quality has dropped at some of the deluxe QS spots, but it's still no comparison to value QS. Most anything at Gasparilla or especially Primo is so far beyond All-Stars and Pop.

Agreed about the pizza.

Yes, that is true.

Forgive me, I thought your posts were expressing a desire for this thread to be more positive and constructive. For my part, I have tried to do that, because the topic interests me. There are many fun ways WDW food could be better, and it is enjoyable to consider those possibilities.

It is also enjoyable to hear people talk about food options they have enjoyed. Maybe there's a WDW food I haven't tried before. So what are your favorite WDW foods?
My favs are the Korean Beef from the Wok at Yak & Yeti, Pulled Pork Nachos from Cap't Cooks, and the bbq from Flame Tree BBQ. I also liked what I had from the San Angel Inn but I can't remember what it was.

Last edited:
Except WDW does have a smokehouse. It is over at Wilderness Lodge. I think all 3 eateries there serve meat that is smoked. the smoked turkey sandwich at Roaring forks is one of the better QS options at WDW, IMO. Now, where it could be better is if they had more sides. There's also the Polite Pig in Disney Springs.

Disney made a choice some years back to streamline and cut costs. There's no reason they can't reverse that choice.

If AK can have Satuli, then why can't WDW update the QS options in MK? I mean, they already have changed the food offerings in MK a great many times over the last 50 years. It is very feasible for them to update the offerings again.

There are a lot fewer people visiting the Wilderness Lodge than the Magic Kingdom. They are feeding a bland palate.

There are a lot fewer people visiting the Wilderness Lodge than the Magic Kingdom. They are feeding a bland palate.
I used 2 paragraphs for a reason. Someone said WDW couldn't offer smokehouse BBQ, but they already do offer BBQ in multiple locations. I didn't even mention the one in AK, and that is already in a theme park.

New dining is coming in a few weeks when Tiana's opens. It seems a bit odd to argue that MK can't offer different food than the current roster. If they have beignets, I anticipate people will wait in line to get them.

I used 2 paragraphs for a reason. Someone said WDW couldn't offer smokehouse BBQ, but they already do offer BBQ in multiple locations. I didn't even mention the one in AK, and that is already in a theme park.

New dining is coming in a few weeks when Tiana's opens. It seems a bit odd to argue that MK can't offer different food than the current roster. If they have beignets, I anticipate people will wait in line to get them.

When they have offered food that was different from the basic chicken nuggets much of the time it ends up dumbed down. Disney sells what the majority of people want to eat. It is much easier to offer something slightly different at a resort or Disney Springs. And I've had the bbq at the Animal Kingdom. It is ok, but not stellar by any means.

When they have offered food that was different from the basic chicken nuggets much of the time it ends up dumbed down. Disney sells what the majority of people want to eat. It is much easier to offer something slightly different at a resort or Disney Springs. And I've had the bbq at the Animal Kingdom. It is ok, but not stellar by any means.

Maybe the barbecue at AK is just okay, but it's still way better than most MK QS options. I don't think anyone is expecting incredible, just pretty decent.

Okay, but this is moving goal posts. First it was said WDW could not have BBQ, they do. Then I was told WDW couldn't offer BBQ in a theme park, they do. Now you've responded to say it isn't the best BBQ.

Of course WDW food could better, that is the point of the thread.

Disney calls in outsiders as needed, like the Patina Group (Tutto, Space 220, Via Napoli, etc.). https://www.patinagroup.com/

And these guys (Rainforest, Yak&Yeti, T-Rex): https://www.landrysinc.com/gift-cards

And in MK, these guys: https://www.starbucks.com/
(Plus these guys at the TTC: https://joffreys.com/ )

So I'm sure they could ask one of them to create an interesting option in MK.

I'm also confident new food options are coming to MK in the very near future.

The goal posts have moved so many times in this thread. No level of nuanced discussion seems to be of interest.

Just title threads like these I want to complain and anyone that is interested can come complain with me. OP said a few comments up not interested in recommendations. Just wanted to talk about how bad the food is. Crack on.

Much of the counter service is pretty bad. All of the burgers are dry and taste the same. I do not care for hotdogs, but I find them especially gross in theme parks. Anything that is supposed to be like Mexican food is bad. Most all of the pastries are dry and taste like they have been sitting in a refrigerator uncovered for a week.

Better food is found at the hotels, for the most part. Buffets in general are not a great choice in Disney. The exceptions are the Polynesian breakfast with Lilo and Stitch and perhaps Cape May Cafe? Not sure anymore?

Their food quality/taste can vary person by person, and even the same person. A week ago DH got double ribs at Flame Tree. One 1/2 rack was some of the best he's had anywhere at Disney - the other one was one of the worse - dried out, tasteless, nearly meatless. That goes for a lot of Disney's restaurants - that's why there are so many varying reviews - hit or miss. We're fairly lenient with all the mass production of food and just carry on - we go knowing it's over priced and not have too high expectations unfortunately. Sometimes we're pleasantly surprised!

Just title threads like these I want to complain and anyone that is interested can come complain with me. OP said a few comments up not interested in recommendations. Just wanted to talk about how bad the food is. Crack on.

And what’s wrong with that? Why does that offend you? There are a bunch of threads here I skip over because they have no interest to me. If I had to complain about the complainers, I’d have no time left to do anything else. Do some people get paid to be gatekeepers here?

Disney Dining comes down to a few factors and thought processes:

1) Convenience - I am at a very expensive theme park and I want to enjoy my time here. I do not want to go out of my way to find food or have food delivered. I am willing to spend extra money knowing that I will be able to eat in close proximity to where I am staying/playing.

2) A certain theme/Desire to meet characters - I am willing to pay extra for food to be in a setting where I can enjoy a certain theming or ambience. I want to meet characters in Disney and I will overpay for that experience (many families fall into this category).

3) Choosing the best "bang for buck" - I will only eat at restaurants that provide a favorable food to price ratio. I will make sure that whatever money I spend I will feel it is worthwhile. I will frequent the same places mostly because I know what I'm getting is going to be something I enjoy. This still incorporates Convenience but I will go out of my way to eat better (leaving a theme park and traveling to a resort and vice versa).

4) Bring your own/Cook Your own/Find your own food - I cannot or I do not want to spend money on Disney dining options. I will bring my own food to the parks or I will eat in my room before I get there. I usually order from some sort of grocery delivery. I am usually the type not to stay for an extended period of time. Shorter trips make this easy. (DVC people tend to fall into this category often).

I personally am a very value oriented person and have a hard time paying extra for things that I don't perceive having great value however...I pay to eat at Disney...for many years...inflated prices...for food that outside of the bubble would cost less or be better quality or both. It is what it is. I personally change my expectations. And I'm usually falling under category 3. I will go out of my way to eat at a place I know I will enjoy or will give me an experience where I can justify the price. Even Narcoossee's which we have to do every trip and I thoroughly enjoy...I know for the final price I pay there I can eat even better at a restaurant near my home but...I'm sitting on Seven Seas Lagoon looking at Cinderella's Castle while on vacation...I'm good with paying.

Also as a side note I saw some negative reviews of Capt. Cook's but honestly I can eat those pulled pork nachos all day. Grab some and take them to the pool and I'm a happy camper. Enjoy whatever food you decide to eat at Disney!

Disney Dining comes down to a few factors and thought processes:

1) Convenience - I am at a very expensive theme park and I want to enjoy my time here. I do not want to go out of my way to find food or have food delivered. I am willing to spend extra money knowing that I will be able to eat in close proximity to where I am staying/playing.

2) A certain theme/Desire to meet characters - I am willing to pay extra for food to be in a setting where I can enjoy a certain theming or ambience. I want to meet characters in Disney and I will overpay for that experience (many families fall into this category).

3) Choosing the best "bang for buck" - I will only eat at restaurants that provide a favorable food to price ratio. I will make sure that whatever money I spend I will feel it is worthwhile. I will frequent the same places mostly because I know what I'm getting is going to be something I enjoy. This still incorporates Convenience but I will go out of my way to eat better (leaving a theme park and traveling to a resort and vice versa).

4) Bring your own/Cook Your own/Find your own food - I cannot or I do not want to spend money on Disney dining options. I will bring my own food to the parks or I will eat in my room before I get there. I usually order from some sort of grocery delivery. I am usually the type not to stay for an extended period of time. Shorter trips make this easy. (DVC people tend to fall into this category often).

I personally am a very value oriented person and have a hard time paying extra for things that I don't perceive having great value however...I pay to eat at Disney...for many years...inflated prices...for food that outside of the bubble would cost less or be better quality or both. It is what it is. I personally change my expectations. And I'm usually falling under category 3. I will go out of my way to eat at a place I know I will enjoy or will give me an experience where I can justify the price. Even Narcoossee's which we have to do every trip and I thoroughly enjoy...I know for the final price I pay there I can eat even better at a restaurant near my home but...I'm sitting on Seven Seas Lagoon looking at Cinderella's Castle while on vacation...I'm good with paying.

Also as a side note I saw some negative reviews of Capt. Cook's but honestly I can eat those pulled pork nachos all day. Grab some and take them to the pool and I'm a happy camper. Enjoy whatever food you decide to eat at Disney!
We love the Pulled Pork Nachos! We discovered them on our last stay and ended up eating at Capt Cooks on both of our MK days and had the nachos both times, followed by a dessert at the Pineapple Lanai.

And what’s wrong with that? Why does that offend you? There are a bunch of threads here I skip over because they have no interest to me. If I had to complain about the complainers, I’d have no time left to do anything else. Do some people get paid to be gatekeepers here?

Not offended you’re at liberty to complain all you’d like. Just responding like you are. Apologies you don’t like my perspective.

Much of the counter service is pretty bad. All of the burgers are dry and taste the same. I do not care for hotdogs, but I find them especially gross in theme parks. Anything that is supposed to be like Mexican food is bad. Most all of the pastries are dry and taste like they have been sitting in a refrigerator uncovered for a week.

Better food is found at the hotels, for the most part. Buffets in general are not a great choice in Disney. The exceptions are the Polynesian breakfast with Lilo and Stitch and perhaps Cape May Cafe? Not sure anymore?
Cape May is pretty bad too. Definitely not a place to go out of your way for. The best buffet is probably Boma though I didn't love the breakfast. Dinner is solid though. I've heard good things about Tusker House but to be honest if I'm in AK I'm going to Nomad Lounge (which has gone downhill food wise but drinks are still great).

Also agree about the pastries. They're so stale and bland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter