So - We need to bring our own cups?

We bring cups with us. They are insulated cups with straws. The kids fill them with juice or soda and DH is a big soda drinker so the small cups at the fountains are a joke. Also my DS5 cannot "crush" the cups we bring so the soda doesn't get spilled everywhere when he is not paying attention and puts too much pressure on the sides of the cup and the top pops off. We are not big fast food people so he is not use to a take out cup.
We also bring thermos/bubba bottles for water. It keeps it colder longer and we are big water drinkers. My DD13 also doesn't drink soda and hates water that is even slightly warm so a bottle for water is a necessity for her. We bring a small travel size bottle of dish detergent to wash out the cups. This is the first cruise I have ever been on that I won't have a child with sippy cups that we had to wash every night so for some people bringing and washing cups maybe a pain but for us its the norm.
And this time I am definitely going to stop at a Chick fil A on the way to FL and get a couple drink holders to use on the cruise. Trying to carry all those drinks in our own cups or not is a pain.

We don't bring cups, but we have brought large sports bottles to carry drinks while on excursions.

We bring ones similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Contigo-Autos...&qid=1389373326&sr=8-29&keywords=water+bottle

That way we can fill it at the drink station (using their cups to fill it, of course) and carry it by the little handle on top with the same hand as other items if we are carrying multiple plates of food, need to open doors, etc. It is nice to keep one hand free.

The kids also use them on the plane rides because they are non-spill and they don't have to leave an open drink on their tray tables.

Each person is responsible for their own cup and they keep it in their carry-on bag so it doesn't take up luggage space.

On our next big cruise, we will be traveling by plane, cruise ship, bus and train so I'm sure ours will get a lot of use. ;)

I don't think cups are necessary if you hang out on the pool deck all day. Most of our time was spent doing trivia, crafts and games that are generally on the lower decks so it was nice to have a large drink to carry with us instead of running up to the pool deck.

I think there are 2 types of travelers- nothing wrong with either kind -

there's the people who try to recreate all the comfort and convienance of home -those with their cups, over the door shoe hanger full of stuff, three surge protectors, 5 pairs of shoes, and that pillow from home they love. You will never see these people anxiously running through a gift shop looking for something, begging strangers for a quick charge of their phone, but you also might see them gliding around the terminal weighed down by 300 lbs of luggage.

then there's the people who treat travel as an adventure into the unknown - those that maybe show up without toothpaste and have "funky butt" because they have to wear a wet swim suit on the second day. they are forced to try to make a fuller pillow by bunching up a dirty sweatshirt under their pillow. These people make the best of everything and laugh off the fact that their black shoes don't match their brown pants and okay yes their son is wearing dad's belt but whatev, it's good. These people glide off the plane with just their carry on and an intact lower back.

There's no in between- if you don't know which one you are, pick the one you don't want to be and that's probably you.

Some people LOVE the cups and hate having to go back to the drink station, some people wouldn't remember the cup even if they wanted it and will just grab two cups of soda when they're at the drink station. You by no means need one at all, but if you want one there's no harm in bringing it.

(This was suppose to be a funny, just in case it didn't come across like that)

I started bringing a cup because otherwise I would be constantly going for refills. This way, I can have my large jug and work from that.

I brought five cups (I brought our Disney mugs) for all five of us. However, I really just see us using one and that's to get water for my son to take his medication in the room.

We've cruised 7 times and I brought our own cups once. I decided it really wasn't worth it for us (and we drink a lot of soda). I hated packing the cups and lugging around my cup. Even though I felt it was a petty good size, I could really only fit 1.5 servings from the paper Disney cups into my cup I thought was bigger. It's not really Eco friendly either since you are supposed to fill from the Disney disposable cups for cleanliness issues.

Tervis Tumblers are awesome! They come in many sizes and have many lid options. They keep hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold and do not sweat. They are indestructible. I have a set that are from the 70's, and they still rock. If you want to get a good deal, but them at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% coupon.

We will bring our own cups for happy hour on the balcony - I know you can get some from your room steward, but I like my tervis tumblers. I know exactly how to make the perfect vodka and tonic in them. :)

For us, it would be a waste of suitcase space. We drink soda for sure, but don't feel hindered by the existing cups.

as far as tervis goes, i have to say i bought into it. i, like the opp, kept reading everyones comments on how they are a must. you just can not live without one. since i had not seen them around my area i made a great issue out of finding one when i went on vacation. i did find them at bed bath and beyond, lots of them to choose from. my eyes glassed over and i picked out my cup, then my lid, then the straws that i just had to have or how could my cup function properly? the friend who was with me could not believe how focused i was on this quest and as she had no want of the product she left me to my task. well i got my tervis, took a long time, there are a gizillion designs and colour choices. went to the cash and gave the cashier my $40 for all my parts to this wonderful cup.

when i got home i quickly took out my prized new item and filled it full of water. didn't taste at all like $40 water, in fact it tasted like water. maybe i need a hot drink to get that 'specialness'……nope, that didn't work either. very slowly i realized i bought into 'hype'. sadly, i wish i had my $40 back.
my point is tervis is not cheap. its also only a cup.

some argue the merits of the tervis cup and i get that but you need to know going in the cups run anywhere from 15 to 25 plus there are lids you can purchase and cup holders and straws, it just goes on and on. having said all this (and it was meant to be tongue in cheek) i did buy the small cup on the cruise but it was because we had money left from our obc and it was the last day of our cruise. i like to look at it but it is to small to use constantly, it sits on a shelf in my cupboard until the day i need the room for something else and i give it to goodwill.

The signs by the drink stations specifically say to use a new cup for refills... Has anyone ever been told by a cm not to use their own cup? Or are you using the Disney provided cups to fill your cup brought from home?

The signs by the drink stations specifically say to use a new cup for refills... Has anyone ever been told by a cm not to use their own cup? Or are you using the Disney provided cups to fill your cup brought from home?

Use a new cup. It stops the spread of germs :/). I think you will be told by CMs and other cruisers will appreciate it.

I saw people being told to use a cup to fill their cups with. I think there might have even been a sign but I might be remembering it wrong.

Hmmmm - well I certainly am happy to know that plenty of cruisers do just fine without bringing their own cups! I can see the advantages on both sides. I will have to really ponder whether I want to bring our own or not.

For the coffee-loving poster who mentioned that the provided coffee cups are too small: How big are they? Are we talking little teeny tiny styrofoam ones? Or the slightly bigger 12 oz ones? We definitely need our coffee in the morning - and from what I hear there is only one place on the ship to get "good" coffee without paying for it. Would love to make only one trip there in the mornings. I can do without a soda cup during the day, but may need the extra space for coffee!! :-)

My DH is a coffee snob and is threatening to bring his own Bodum coffee press if I don't find out where the "good" coffee is. Please share.

as far as tervis goes, i have to say i bought into it. i, like the opp, kept reading everyones comments on how they are a must. you just can not live without one. since i had not seen them around my area i made a great issue out of finding one when i went on vacation. i did find them at bed bath and beyond, lots of them to choose from. my eyes glassed over and i picked out my cup, then my lid, then the straws that i just had to have or how could my cup function properly? the friend who was with me could not believe how focused i was on this quest and as she had no want of the product she left me to my task. well i got my tervis, took a long time, there are a gizillion designs and colour choices. went to the cash and gave the cashier my $40 for all my parts to this wonderful cup.

when i got home i quickly took out my prized new item and filled it full of water. didn't taste at all like $40 water, in fact it tasted like water. maybe i need a hot drink to get that 'specialness'……nope, that didn't work either. very slowly i realized i bought into 'hype'. sadly, i wish i had my $40 back.

some argue the merits of the tervis cup and i get that but you need to know going in the cups run anywhere from 15 to 25 plus there are lids you can purchase and cup holders and straws, it just goes on and on. having said all this (and it was meant to be tongue in cheek) i did buy the small cup on the cruise but it was because we had money left from our obc and it was the last day of our cruise. i like to look at it but it is to small to use constantly, it sits on a shelf in my cupboard until the day i need the room for something else and i give it to goodwill.

(Shhh, but the large Disney Cruise Line tervis with lid and straw cost only $25 onboard....)

My DH is a coffee snob and is threatening to bring his own Bodum coffee press if I don't find out where the "good" coffee is. Please share.

I just bought one for the cruise!!! Plan on buying a mug in the gift shop :) I believe the only place that has "good" coffee is Cove Cafe and there is a charge.

I didn't think they were $40 at the BBB, but then I didn't look closely, we were there for other things. I do agree though that I didn't see anything particularly special about them, Just a brand name. If you want to have your own good drink mug, I'd think that any insulated cup would do just fine.

Yes, We will use the disney cup to fill our refillable cups. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter