So what did your flight cost?-

Well it looks like if we can change our days and go and come back one day early (not a big deal and the hotel reservation can be changed as the room is available), we can get our flight for a better rate. So it will be (gulp) $1505 taxes and fees in from Victoria to John Wayne for the 3 of us. Still stupidly expensive but (since the one day later rate had gone up to over $1800) that's a bit better.

I haven't booked our flights yet (Victoria to DL- preferring to fly out of SNA over LAX any day) for Sept 14-19th. But the prices still seem high at $581pp (for 3 of us). We could go out of Seattle for $381 but by the time we add on the ferry, an extra nights hotel, gas, extra meals (my outlet mall shopping problem ;)) it wouldn't end up being any cheaper for us.

So I keep waiting and hoping.

We just booked Buffalo-SD-LAX-BUF for $450 pp but my DH's were free on SW points so not too bad.

For fun we priced out MCO-BUF that same week and it was $220 pp. But we are going twice as far. Changing plans in PHX.

$218 non stop return pp. Dec 3 - 12. :cool1:

Did you get the Early Bird Check-in for $12.50 each way? It's almost a necessity now with Southwest if you want to guarantee that your family will sit together. Therefore, your total price is $243.

JetBlue has the same non-stop flight from Buffalo to Orlando for $218 but advanced seat selection is included in that price along with 1 free checked bag each and a personalized Direct TV in each seat. I always go with JetBlue for the extras when they are the same price as Southwest. It's nice having an actual seat number assigned in advance and a TV to watch.

We need competition back in Buffalo!

Did you get the Early Bird Check-in for $12.50 each way? It's almost a necessity now with Southwest if you want to guarantee that your family will sit together. Therefore, your total price is $243. JetBlue has the same non-stop flight from Buffalo to Orlando for $218 but advanced seat selection is included in that price along with 1 free checked bag each and a personalized Direct TV in each seat. I always go with JetBlue for the extras when they are the same price as Southwest. It's nice having an actual seat number assigned in advance and a TV to watch. We need competition back in Buffalo!

I agree with you completely. We always flew with SW until last year. We brought JetBlue back & loved it. We went with JetBlue this year for both ways and was so happy I could pick our seats when I bought the flights. It's to much of a pain to make sure you check in exactly 24 hrs prior to your trip to make sure you get A group if your lucky. So much more relaxed this way. We also always fly out of Buffalo.

Did you get the Early Bird Check-in for $12.50 each way? It's almost a necessity now with Southwest if you want to guarantee that your family will sit together. Therefore, your total price is $243.

JetBlue has the same non-stop flight from Buffalo to Orlando for $218 but advanced seat selection is included in that price along with 1 free checked bag each and a personalized Direct TV in each seat. I always go with JetBlue for the extras when they are the same price as Southwest. It's nice having an actual seat number assigned in advance and a TV to watch.

I totally disagree. Don't think it is a necessity at all. We have never paid for early bird and never had an issue. We've had 3 and 1 and 2 and 2. No biggie.

I prefer SW for the ease of change/cancellation etc.

I totally disagree. Don't think it is a necessity at all. We have never paid for early bird and never had an issue. We've had 3 and 1 and 2 and 2. No biggie.

I prefer SW for the ease of change/cancellation etc.

I agree that in the past it was never an issue, but more and more of us are feeling the pressure and buying the Early Bird Check-In as a type of insurance policy. Everyone I know buys it now. The increase in purchases seems to be forcing the 24 hour check-in people further towards the back of the plane. If you're fortunate enough to be able to access the internet from work exactly at the 24 hour mark before your departure date and able to pause your vacation 24 hours before you leave Disney, then you should be fine. Sadly, I've been delayed in checking in twice at the 24 hour mark and had to politely ask people if they would consider switching seats at the back of the plane so we could sit with our kids. We actually paid the extra fee on our last minute trip recently and still ended up towards the back of the plane. Although....the wife thought the situation was worsened by the large number of family boardings and those needing assistance on that flight. :confused3

Yes we purchased EBCI. With 4 adults I wasn't so much concerned with us all sitting together and an extra $50/couple it didn't put a huge dent in our wallets. Also we'll be on the Disney Dream at the 24 hour mark and no way to do the online check in. We also booked our Buffalo Airport park and fly hotel, with hot buffet breakfast, for $50 more than it would cost to park our car at Pearson. Flying out of Buffalo is the way to go. 197 more days until WDW/DCL vacation.

PS. JetBlue didn't have any direct flights for the days we were travelling

I agree that in the past it was never an issue, but more and more of us are feeling the pressure and buying the Early Bird Check-In as a type of insurance policy. Everyone I know buys it now. The increase in purchases seems to be forcing the 24 hour check-in people further towards the back of the plane. If you're fortunate enough to be able to access the internet from work exactly at the 24 hour mark before your departure date and able to pause your vacation 24 hours before you leave Disney, then you should be fine. Sadly, I've been delayed in checking in twice at the 24 hour mark and had to politely ask people if they would consider switching seats at the back of the plane so we could sit with our kids. We actually paid the extra fee on our last minute trip recently and still ended up towards the back of the plane. Although....the wife thought the situation was worsened by the large number of family boardings and those needing assistance on that flight. :confused3

Our last flight was in Dec and we had no issues . I'd rather do the checkin and save $100. But every person has a different comfort level. With 2 kids and 2 adults we only need 2 and 2 so 4 together isn't that big of a deal.

We always get the EBCI simply because I hate flying, and feel more comfortable on an aisle and nearer to the front of the plane. It's comforting for me to sit with my family. I wouldn't die if I couldn't but I'd be a lot more tense without them to chat with and distract me. So for that reason alone, the EBCI has always been worth it.
I was disappointed today… when I went to book the Jetblue prices for our dates were very reasonable, in fact, better than I had seen for long time. But there is a very slim chance dh might have trouble with one of his vacation days and if we need to pick another week, we would have paid fees to change flights with Jetblue. Southwest got my money (more than Jetblue actually) for that reason alone. So for 4 people, non stops from Dec 13th to 23rd out of Buffalo we paid apprx $1100. One leg of one flight was booked with points.

ETA) and I just checked again.. leg we booked to MCO this morning at $156 is already up to $240

We always get the EBCI simply because I hate flying, and feel more comfortable on an aisle and nearer to the front of the plane. It's comforting for me to sit with my family. I wouldn't die if I couldn't but I'd be a lot more tense without them to chat with and distract me. So for that reason alone, the EBCI has always been worth it.
I was disappointed today… when I went to book the Jetblue prices for our dates were very reasonable, in fact, better than I had seen for long time. But there is a very slim chance dh might have trouble with one of his vacation days and if we need to pick another week, we would have paid fees to change flights with Jetblue. Southwest got my money (more than Jetblue actually) for that reason alone. So for 4 people, non stops from Dec 13th to 23rd out of Buffalo we paid apprx $1100. One leg of one flight was booked with points.

ETA) and I just checked again.. leg we booked to MCO this morning at $156 is already up to $240

I couldn't believe the fluctuations with southwest flights over the last 48 hrs. We are travelling the same days and as I was trying to book our flights the prices were rising by the time I got to the checkout. Today I looked and the flight I originally wanted was lower so I phoned and changed it to that one and saved a little more money, even though yesterday it was way more. I was able to book our first leg at $104 (5% group discount) and it is up to $240
today.

Patiently waiting for September 5/6 to 12/13 flights from Toronto, for 12
Last time we grabbed $355 per person, hoping for $400 Max
Fingers crossed

West Jet has a Blue Tag Thursday 4th of July deal until 2pm MT today!
30% off flights,
We grabbed $356, $371 & $387 per family - round trip out of Toronto.

Sucks it went up $15 each time but still under $400.
If you book above flights not using the "Blue Tag" deal it rings in at $489 per person.

Thank God I checked web page in the evening, or I would have missed it.
Now just need the days to tick down!!
:cool1::worship:

Gotta put my 2 cents in here ... we had tons of Airmiles in our account so ... cost was only the taxes :rotfl2: Also had enough to cover the rental car for 2 weeks, 2 two-day Park to Park tickets to Universal (hubby is a HP geek) AND hotel the night we arrive (flight gets in a midnight).

Have done the trek to Buffalo before to catch Southwest but don't feel comfy enough leaving the car in a parking lot for the 2 weeks this time since it is new! So catching the local airport shuttle and leaving it in the driveway!!

Hope everyone has a great holiday!!

DH and I paid 616.00 for 2 nonstop return fares from Buffalo to MCO on Southwest from Nov 14-21, 2014. That's a really great price considering other airlines from YYZ were upwards of 980.00! And you still have to pay a baggage fee on top of that. I also had a SW credit of 230.00 which brought the price down considerably, too.

Depending on flight times we will drive there the night before and stay in a hotel that offers room and parking with shuttle to airport and back for less than 100.00. We have never had a problem with parking our vehicle there, well, maybe finding it, when there is a snowfall! If we are on a cruise then it's always the night before.

I bought two tickets end of May at $396. Flying out of Syracuse to Orlando in September (direct flight both ways:))

We paid over $2000 for 3 of us (taxes, etc. included), Winnipeg to MCO, non-stop both there and back with WestJet. I hate that the flights eat up a good amount of the budget but for as few times as we go, it's worth it. :) And we don't wait around for sales, we like to book all at once so that it's done and we aren't stressing about it. I HATE flying, so non-stop is awesome for me and I would pay any price. Now to go and get my lorazepam. lol:rotfl2:

We have been flying out of buffalo the last 3 trips. We find the cost saving is way to much vs flying out of Toronto.
We paid $1100 return for 5 people.
The endless debate is when to purchase. This year we decided to pull the trigger right on the day southwest opened up the schedule for our trip Dec 6.
The kids love it as is now a tradition to go to the cheese cake factory for lunch or dinner and do a little shopping at the walden gallery mall then fly out that evening or the next day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter