So what food/restaurants lived up to the hype? C'mon in!

Belleoftheboard

Earning My Ears
Thanks to my DIS obsession I was able to read lots of reviews on food and places to eat before we made our trip (Dec. 16th-23rd--our 2nd trip in 6 months). Here are the most popular things I tried and how I thought it stacked up to the hype:

Le Cellier: Ah, the restaurant 'darling' of the DIS boards. Well, I have to say Le Cellier did not disappoint, which is saying a lot considering how it is revered on this board--one tends to expect too much. I was only able to get a lunch reservation, but it didn't matter. The service was superb and attentive, and the food was wonderful. I got the cheddar soup (very good, but filling and rich) and we both got the petite fillet (excellent). I got the chocolate 'moose' for dessert which was cute, but (and I can't believe a chocoholic is saying this) my DH's berry cobbler was better. Oh, and DH got a mango smoothie which was really good--I wished that I had gotten one after tasting his, but I'm not normally a smoothie fan so I missed out...except I drank about half of his, so I guess he missed out. I enjoyed this meal very much and I think it was a great value for only one TS credit.

School Bread (in Epcot Norway) So you heard me call myself a chocoholic, right? Ok, so then believe me when I say this: RUN, DO NOT WALK TO NORWAY AND GET SCHOOL BREAD. And this is coming from someone who won't order a dessert unless it has some chocolate in it somewhere. I promise you will not be sorry. After hearing all the raves on this board, I knew it was a dessert my DH would love so I insisted we go over there and get him one. Well, once I tasted it I wished we had bought 2..or 3, or 4. Man, it was that good.

French Toast Loaf--Main Street Bakery MK Alas, the FTL just did not live up to the hype in my opinion. It was somewhat soggy or undercooked or something. Now having said that, I still ate it and it was fine...just nothing I would get again or rave about to others. The Main Street Bakery was still a really cool place though with lots of goodies. Oh, and if you have little kids--they sell the uncrustables PB&J sandwiches (and are only 1 snack credit--my son loved it)

Whispering Canyon Cafe Both the skillet and the milkshakes are raved about on this board, so I will start with the skillet. Now normally I don't get excited about a big skillet 'o meat (especially all you can eat--*shudder*) but MAN was that skillet good! For some reason the chicken was especially amazing. Both DH and I agreed it was the tastiest chicken we've ever eaten. I ate so much--I couldn't stop eating, that's how good it was. Now the milkshake....was just a milkshake. It was fine (chocolate of course), but certainly not the best one I've ever had, nor one that was so good I would tell everyone that they HAD to get one. But, it's nice that you can get it as your drink if on the dining plan. Now as to the overall atmosphere of the place, it was as fun as everyone mentioned and I had a great time...mostly from watching the servers joke and do their thing at the tables next to mine. My server was excellent, but she was just that--an excellent server. No entertainment or hijinks went on with us, but maybe that's because it was just us 2 and a 16 month old. I don't know, but I can see how if you had your heart set on being IN the action instead of watching it, you might be dissapointed.

Crystal Palace Breakfast It seemed to me the CP and breakfast in particular was talked up a lot, so I'll mention it in this review. I thought it would be fun to do at least 1 character meal, and I liked the idea of getting into the MK before it opened so we'd be ready to go, hence why I chose CP. I have to say as the overall experience went, it was a keeper. I am not a fan of buffets, but this one was very good with a large variety of items and fresh fruit. Our waiter was very nice and I never had to ask for my OJ glass to be refilled (all you can drink OJ! I was in heaven!). It was great having all the characters come to your table--you get to see 4 or 5 and don't have to wait in a single line. We had an 8:15 reservation, and it was so special to walk down main street and see the castle and take pictures without a million people everywhere. It was very peaceful and just a nice moment. Is is worth 2 TS credits on the food alone? No. But when you factor in the entire experience (no lines to meet characters, getting in the park before it opens, a quiet moment in front of the castle) then to me it was worth it and a very nice experience.

Thanks for reading and have a great time eating your way through the world!!

Ok, I'm a bit confused. Is the crystal palace two food credits? I swear I read it wasn't. But the cinderella one is. Or is it jsut the breakfast the is?

Le Cellier, School Bread, Tonga Toast, Zebra Domes and Tangierine Cafe lived up to the hype

Chef Mickeys, Dole Whip and Turkey legs do not

Spoodles well lived up to hype, Narcoosees had eaten there before but surf n turf was awesome as well as watching wishes from the observation deck. Boma, looong wait for seating but wel worth it ! soups and zebra domes....seasons did not live up to the hype for oriental cuisine fast I would rather eat at Lotus Blossom Cafe, then have dessert as Kringla Bakery. Their Cheesecake is out of this world!

For us, BOMA did not live up to the hype. It was nice enough, but I was expecting something far more specatucular than it was.

On the other hand, because of poor reviews, I was expecting a plate of crud at CRT for breakfast, but was pleasantly surprised with the tasty breakfast and the neat setting.

DH and I both agreed that we would definately do breakfast at CRT again. We would definately eat at BOMA again if staying at the AKL, but probably not if we had to make a special trip from a different resort.

For us Spoodles, Le Cellier, and Beaches and Cream DEFINITELY lived up to the hype! For me, Boma did (DH isn't impressed, but humors me).

Casey's? So so. The food is good and the experience is quintessential MK, so we enjoyed it but it's not a must do.

Dole whips? Good and again, part of the MK experience, but I like the cappuccino floats at the Sleepy Hollow are more up my alley.

Cape May Cafe character breakfast? Sure. It is said that it's quiet and relaxed with good food and it is. Nothing spectacular, but lives up to the reviews.

Tonga Toast was too sweet. I still ate it though ;)

O'hana & Hoop Dee Doo lived up to the hype.
Le Cellier was just so-so but we may try it again.

:woohoo: Restaurants worthy of hype = Kona, LeCellier, California Grill, Earl of Sandwich, and Rose & Crown.

:sad2: Restaurants that deserve negative hype = Boma, and Cape May.

Mrs. Disney Ron

I've never had the school bread, but I'll have to try it on my next trip. We, too, loved WCC, Le Cellier, and CP. CP is just so much fun for breakfast and it's where my DS met Piglet for the first time. That alone was worth the price of breakfast.

Great reviews!

I think part of the hype problems stem from chefs who delivered the hype
at one restaurant move to another. So when they leave the first restaurant,
the food doesn't always seem quite as good, and suddenly, you think the
food at the second restaurant just became "incredible" overnight.

There is also the factor of the menus changing. For the good, and often,
for the worse. It really hurts a resturant in my eyes when the dishes you
LOVED are not there when you return another time.

For example, I loved the skillet at WCC just like many people here. However,
WCC used to serve four distinct and unique sauces on the table, my favorite
being the maple garlic BBQ sauce. Then maybe about 5 years ago I think,
they no longer had those sauces available.

Flying Fish Cafe must have learned a lesson NOT to remove their signature
dish from their menu. I ate there back when the place was relatively new,
and I loved their potato-wrapped red snapper. I enjoyed it so much, I
wanted it again a few years later, and it was NOT on the menu. (I had later
found it back again, but I was really disappointed when it was off the menu.)

But I know there were times the executive chef moved to another
restaurant, and that has a big impact, too.

My mistake--you are right, the crystal palace is only 1 TS credit per person. I guess it just felt like paying 2 since it was a lot of money just for breakfast! Sorry about that.

Kona....by far for me...best table service...

The food was just as good as cali grill...
that extra T.S is for atmosphere...and view...

If Kona was more intimate....not open to lobby...
It would be the polys "signature...2 T.S restaurant:confused3
JMO
Kerri

We were just there for 9 nights and we had thre standout meals. We also had two really bad meals. The rest was good but nothing really unremarkable. All in all the service at every restaurant was outstanding, even at our resort ASM.

The three that were good: Le' Cellier in Canada but I have to mention that the cheddar cheese soup was OK to me. Not what I was expecting. The dessert was awesome.

Coral Reef was really good, wow that wave chocolate cake was really good and the steak was even better. The service outstanding.

O'Hana..never a bad meal there. It was so good Yum!!

The three that were yucky for us was:
Holleywood & Vine. Play N Dine..yuck not good and expensive as well TG we were on the dining plan because I wouldn't like paying for gross food!

Mama Melrose was not good either. Really a disappointment all the way around. NOT GOOD!! The service was really good just really bad food!! YUCK!

I was surprised at how good the counter services were though I wish there were more options for kids.

Thanks,

JenV

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter