Sofia the first and other Disney Junior shows

old lady

DIS Veteran
I like Jake and the pirates, wander beyond yonder, Gravity falls, and Doc Mcstuffins. I found sofia the first missing something. I heard people say it a typical princess fare and that it doesn't portray hispanics accurately. I found it lacking a villian. There are many bad guys in Disney cartoons and witches in these princesses movie so why aren't they in Sofia the first? Princesses face evil and deal with it in these movies, but Sofia doesn't know it exist. How can a princess grow if she can't resist temptation if she never gets fool by it?

I watch way too much Disney Jr for someone without kids, and Sofia DOES have a villain - Cedric the Sorcerer (aka "Mister Ceedric," as Sofia calls him). He's kind of a bumbling, ineffectual villain, (as he should be for a Disney Jr show), and he's not in every episode, but he's there and he's the designated "villain." (He has a significant role in the first Sofia "movie" and in the recent "Floating Palace" special, plus being in at least a few regular episodes.) I like poor old Cedric. Plus there was the "Miss Nettle" episode, where the old apprentice of Flora/Fauna/Merryweather becomes a teacher at Royal Prep and turns out to be up to no good. (And yes, she does trick Sofia.)

That's fine if you don't care for Sofia. :hippie: It took me a while to warm up to it, but I've gotten to where I really enjoy it. The music is very ambitious for a start and there are some great musical numbers. (Cedric even has a fun "villain" song I love.) The "lessons" to the stories are about things kids can relate to in their own lives, making friends, being kind, being responsible. People make mistakes and bad judgments and face up to them (including Sofia). Most kids aren't going to meet an evil witch with a poisoned apple, but they will have to navigate grade school social politics and family dynamics and tackling new experiences and I think Sofia does a good job with that.

BTW, Wander Over Yonder and Gravity Falls aren't Disney Jr. ("little kids") shows, nor is Phineas & Ferb (which I love). They're just regular Disney.

What about the Sofia episode with the little brat witch that hexes everyone? I think her name is Lucinda? I know it's just one episode but would she be considered a villain?

My son likes them all. Currently Octonauts is his favorite. Jake has the best music, check out Captain Bogg and Salty to hear Sharky and Bones before Disney hired them.

I'm thirteen, but personally think Sofia the First is adorable! My little sister LOVES it! While it does lack a "real" villain- I know we have Mr. 'Ceedric', but I think he's more goofy and humorous to listen to than villainous :laughing: - but you also need to take into consideration that little girls are watching and most will prefer these music numbers and the current plot lines of episodes.

Gravity Falls is great, I think it's one of Disney Channel's better shows. Wander Over Yonder? I don't like it, the plot line and animation makes it look like Disney just threw it together because they were bored in my mind.

Our daughter loves MMCH, Jake, Sofia, Doc, Octonauts, BuzzBee, pretty much everything besides those small potatoes, lol. She loves the music and bad guys like Pete & Hook. ChooChoo Soul is a FANTASTIC CD, I'd love a full show instead of the little clips.

Honestly? I use my four year old sister as an excuse to watch Sofia the First. It's just too cute!

We love Disney Jr. around here! My boy (20mons) loves Jake, and while he doesn't say much yet, he does raise his fist in a most "pirate-y" manner during the "yo-ho" parts in the theme song. Personally, I think I've seen enough Jake to last me a lifetime, but the boy likes it. He also likes MMC and the Hot Dog dance, along with Octonouts (I love Peso, my husband likes Quazi because that cat is CRAZY! ) Personally, I like Doc and her toys because they have such a good message. Husband loves the songs from Jake - it's the only kids music he really likes.

And then there is Sophia. She's cute, but really sweet - like annoying toothache sweet. But man, the LO LOVES her!!!! When the theme song comes on he runs to the TV and points at Sophia and pulls me over to look at the TV. Yes, she doesn't have a main villain, but I don't think she needs one. And really, isn't Amber enough of a pain to deal with? ;) So, no big.

Apparently, Jake and Sophia are having a torrent love in our household. :eek: LO got plastic figs of all the DisJR. characters, and he takes Sophia and Jake everywhere and has them kiss. Poor Doc is left on the sidelines. :sad1:

Gravity Falls is great, I think it's one of Disney Channel's better shows. Wander Over Yonder? I don't like it, the plot line and animation makes it look like Disney just threw it together because they were bored in my mind.

Wander Over Yonder is a Craig McCracken show, who also created Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. He has a specific style of animation, which I've never actually seen used on other shows. If you really watch Wander, you'll catch the morals behind the epsiodes (like The Box ep was about self control). Even the ending credits song talks about living a life doing good deeds. Some eps are just for fun, but most have subtle morals set within it. Also there's some throwback to '80s and '90's (like Gravity Falls does), like the villain Lord Hater is a spoof of Skeletor from He-Man.

Sorry about my tangent. I honestly thought Wander was another dumb cartoon until I actually paid attention and realized how awesome it was :thumbsup2

Wander Over Yonder is a Craig McCracken show, who also created Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. He has a specific style of animation, which I've never actually seen used on other shows. If you really watch Wander, you'll catch the morals behind the epsiodes (like The Box ep was about self control). Even the ending credits song talks about living a life doing good deeds. Some eps are just for fun, but most have subtle morals set within it. Also there's some throwback to '80s and '90's (like Gravity Falls does), like the villain Lord Hater is a spoof of Skeletor from He-Man.

Sorry about my tangent. I honestly thought Wander was another dumb cartoon until I actually paid attention and realized how awesome it was :thumbsup2

Really? Powerpuff Girls? Now I might just have to watch Wander Over Yonder :D PPG was awesome.

Well, I'll give it a try and watch some episodes, and see what I think. I've seen bits and pieces, never a whole episode.

I like the "It's A Small World" animated series, I'm not sure if it airs on tv as the episodes are only about 4 minutes each, but it can be easily googled to watch on the disney website. The Mary Blair styled animation is very cute!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter