Solo at SSR-Would you feel safe?

I am debating whether I should cancel my reservation at the Yacht Club and book a studio at SSR using my points. This would obviously save me a lot of money. My only concern is that I am will be staying alone and don't know if I would feel as safe as a single female at SSR. I would appreciate everyone's opinions. Thanks.

I stayed at OKW last October on a solo trip, and while I didn't feel "unsafe", I do think I would have been a little more comfortable in a hotel setting rather than a condo style setting.

But most of all, I regretted not spending the extra points to stay at the Boardwalk simply because I would have been closer to the parks. Although there is a noticible difference in points, I think they are points well spent for easy access to Epcot and the Studios.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :goodvibes

The outside hallways of SSR are probably just as safe as those loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong (hehe) empty hallways at BWV.

Just be aware of your surroundings, don't get "vacation brain" (where you are so into things you aren't paying attention to people and things around you) and when in your room bolt up the door.

You could also do what my friend says she does when traveling alone on business - when she leaves her room she announces sort of loudly back at the room when shutting the door "ok honey, be back in a bit and I have the cell phone on me".

She figures if anyone is watching her they think she is with someone else, not by herself, and that she has someone to call if a problem comes up. Not sure if it is effective but it probably doesn't hurt ya know?

I am debating whether I should cancel my reservation at the Yacht Club and book a studio at SSR using my points. This would obviously save me a lot of money. My only concern is that I am will be staying alone and don't know if I would feel as safe as a single female at SSR. I would appreciate everyone's opinions. Thanks.

I've stayed solo at SSR twice. I didn't feel unsafe in the least. But I don't in everyday life either and live in a downtown core. Everyone is different of course.

I enjoyed being so close to DD. Whatever you decide have a wonderful trip.

The outside hallways of SSR are probably just as safe as those loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong (hehe) empty hallways at BWV.

Just be aware of your surroundings, don't get "vacation brain" (where you are so into things you aren't paying attention to people and things around you) and when in your room bolt up the door.

You could also do what my friend says she does when traveling alone on business - when she leaves her room she announces sort of loudly back at the room when shutting the door "ok honey, be back in a bit and I have the cell phone on me".

She figures if anyone is watching her they think she is with someone else, not by herself, and that she has someone to call if a problem comes up. Not sure if it is effective but it probably doesn't hurt ya know?

That's a great idea! I've stayed solo at a variety of WDW resorts (just haven't gotten around to SSR yet) and I haven't felt uncomfortable/unsafe anywhere. And I'm easily spooked! The most unsafe I feel is when I change planes on the way to/from WDW, walking thru the airport.

Thanks everyone for your reassurance. My husband always feels that hotels with inside corridors are safer but it's true that the hallways at BWV and some of the other resorts are very long and isolated.

I am debating whether I should cancel my reservation at the Yacht Club and book a studio at SSR using my points. This would obviously save me a lot of money. My only concern is that I am will be staying alone and don't know if I would feel as safe as a single female at SSR. I would appreciate everyone's opinions. Thanks.[/QUOTE
Mom and I would walk every night and come back late after midnight from DTD and take the path back. We stayed in Congress Park. It is very safe! We were never worried!!

I stayed solo at SSR in May and I felt very safe. Normally, I prefer hotels because like another poster mentioned, I feel safer solo in a hotel than in a place with separate buildings. However, during my stay at SSR, I had a first floor room and I felt very safe. Of course, I made sure that the slider door was locked.:cool1:

I stayed solo at SSR and felt entirely safe. I take the necessary precautions and pay attention to my surroundings ANY place where I'm moving around alone. I enjoyed my stay at SSR. :)

No contest....SSR is a picnic compared to any place in the NYC metro area....and I say that as a former NYer! :rotfl2:

Go, have spa treatments, eat food no one but you likes, and ride and shop tll you can't take it anymore!!!! :dance3:

Have a great time!

No contest....SSR is a picnic compared to any place in the NYC metro area....and I say that as a former NYer! :rotfl2:

Go, have spa treatments, eat food no one but you likes, and ride and shop tll you can't take it anymore!!!! :dance3:

Have a great time!

Since you are a former NYer, I'll let you get away with that comment!!! :goodvibes Seriously, I usually feel as safe in NYC as I do in Disney but my husband has made me a bit paranoid about the outside hallways.

I stayed solo at SSR and felt entirely safe. I take the necessary precautions and pay attention to my surroundings ANY place where I'm moving around alone. I enjoyed my stay at SSR. :)

This is me, too.... if you are in the habit of being cautious and paying attention to your surroundings, it's a non-ssue. I've been solo to SSR twice and loved it! :cloud9:

Another here who has stayed solo at SSR. DH came for a couple of days but stayed with friends in Ormond Beach during Daytona Bike Week. I walked around DD and back to SSR and around the resort and felt safe at all times. The walk from DD to Congress Park is not particularly well lit and gives access to outsiders but there were many families and others around walking even late at night so you feel comfortable.As much as I loved SSR I always miss my "home" BWV.

While I haven't stayed at SSR, I think I would be just fine staying there (or any DVC resort) solo. As others have said, keep your wits about you no matter where you stay!

However, if it were me, I'd keep the YC reservation - nothing like having EPCOT so near! :) I much prefer EPCOT & the Boardwalk area to Downtown Disney / Pleasure Island, LOL

Since you are a former NYer, I'll let you get away with that comment!!! :goodvibes Seriously, I usually feel as safe in NYC as I do in Disney but my husband has made me a bit paranoid about the outside hallways.

Well I have been in upstate NY all my life. I have lived in the ATL 7 years now! We have it in our blood to not trust anything!!!! So that is why the OP is sceptical!!!!!

What do you think would be the best section staying solo? Perhaps if you were just going to visit/shop DTD and the Spa? No parks...dont mind walking but dont want to be too far from everything....thanks

What do you think would be the best section staying solo? Perhaps if you were just going to visit/shop DTD and the Spa? No parks...dont mind walking but dont want to be too far from everything....thanks

Congress Park is very convenient for DTD and not far from the Carriage House which is where the Spa is located. On the other hand, Springs is closer to the Spa but a longer walk to DTD. Going solo, I'm not sure that it would matter. There are some mighty nice views to be had in Congress Park, though, if you can get one facing DTD! :goodvibes

Thanks...I think I will try for Congress Park...with a view of DTD! I will be spending more time at DTD than the Spa...if I even end up doing that. Would rather buy stuff for the kids than folks looking at my pores...lol

I have stayed in all the WDW DVC resorts both with others and solo. I have always felt very safe in them all, including SSR.
As to location, we like Congress Park. It is a bit of a walk to the main pool, restaurant/food court/store, etc., but it such a nice location with great views--it is worth the extra steps. If you have little ones and plan on going to the resort's main hub--take a stroller!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter