Solo Dining for the Holidays

msteddom

We always wait in line in California (something)
This trip was just me. This was my third solo trip in a year and I feel like I finally have the ins and outs of being by myself down. I had a wonderful time! I was not on the DDP, but after being on free dining last summer, actually having to pay the bill was a bit of a shock! I didn't keep track of any of my dining expenses, but I never felt like I overpaid for any of my meals.

12/17

Cantina de San Angel
I checked into POR at about 5PM and headed over to Epcot. I checked with guest services to see if there were any last minute openings at a World Showcase resraurant that peaked my interest, but everything was for 8:30 or later and I was hungry?

So I decided to do with and old standby, a fiesta margarita from the stand in Mexico and a wet burrito from Cantina de San Angel. It took about 15 minutes to get both my margarita and my food, but it was very busy and the CMs were working very efficiently. I was able to grab a table near the walkway and enjoyed the people watching.

VERDICT: Cantina de San Angel is not usually my first choice, but it is a reliable option for good quick food. I will continue to return.

12/18

POR Foodcourt
Just grabbed a blueberry muffin before headding out to the park. I got in and out in under five minutes, but I think the fact that it was 8 AM had something to do with it!

Les Chefs de France (CP Package)
I did not make this ADR months in advance like I should have, but I just couldn't decide if cared about seeing the Candlelieght Processional or not. Well when I woke up that morning I decided that I really should make an effort to see the show and that the CP package was the best way to do that. So I called Disney Dining at about 7:30 AM and explained my situation and the woman on the phone patiently checked every participating resteraunt for me. I decided that a 1:50 ADR for Les Chefs de France was my best option, with seating for the 5 PM CP.

I arrived at the restaurant at about 1:30 and was seated within a few minutes. The hostess orginally wanted to give me table just inside the doorway, right on the main walkway, but I asked for a different table and was given a very nice table in the large sun room.

My waiter was very attentive, but his English was not the best, he kept calling me "lady" which just sounded funny. He was very nice though, and his English was certainly better than my French! As part of the CP package I could order any appetizer, entree and dessert off the menu. So I started with the escargot, which I thoughouly enjoyed. Then for my entree I had the salmon and potatoes. This one was new to the menu, and whicle the fish was very good, I thought the potatoes were lacking. They were crushed potatoes that were clended with a sauce that I really didn't care for. I'm not sure I would order it again. For dessert I chose the chocolate tart with I thoughouly enjoyed. I thought the crust in particular was light, flakey and tender. I really liked it.

VERDICT: Les Chefs de France is a restaurant that I visit on every trip. I enjoyed this visit, but it was not my best. I thought the food was good, but the service was a bit slow. I am also glad that I did the CP package. I enjoyed the show very much, and I liked having the reserved seating. I'm not sure I need to see the show year after year though. I think once might have been enough.

POR Food Court
After such a large lunch I didn't have much of an appetite for dinner. So I grabbled some chicken strips from the food court and took them back to my room to watch Monday Night Football. They hit the spot.

12/19

Tusker House

This is another restaurant that I return to on each visit, and I always order the salmon, with french fries instead of the vegtables. Today was no different. I was able to find a table outside so I could enjoy the glorious 80 degree weather.

VERDICT: This restaurant never fails to dissapoint. I think the salmon is excellent and the fact that it is $8.99 makes it an outstanding deal.

Prime Time 50's Cafe

I had a 7:30 reservation, but I was able to check in about an hour early with the caveat that anyone who came in with a reservation before mine would be seated before me. Sounds fair to me! I waited no more than 30 minutes to be seated, which was fine considering the earlier warning. I was given a table shoved in the corner of one of the middle rooms. I was not happy with it, but I did not want to take the time to be reseated.

My server (I forget her name) seemed pretty slow. There were stretches of 10-15 minutes where I did not see her at all. My drink sat empty more than once. She was friendly and helpful though, and the restaurant was completely full.

For dinner I ordered the onion rings to start, which were good, but a bit too greasy, and the fried chicken. The chicken came with greens, which I knew I would not eat, so my waitress suggested either corn or green beans instead, and I went with the corn. The chicken was quite good, but the serving of four pieces was more than I could finish. I probably would have had dessert, but things had been taking a while and I wanted to get on Rock n' Rollercoaster before the park closed at 8 PM. While I was dining I noticed that the server taking care of the other side of the room was being a real ham. He would chide parents for having elbows on the table and not eating their vegetables. The kids all just loved it and it was fun to watch.

I thought I was safe because I was not at one of his tables. Well one of my friends called while I was waiting for my entree and we chatted for a bit. I don't usually use my cell phone in restaurants, but I was at an isolated table and the place was already pretty noisy, so I'm sure I didn't disturb anyone. Plus I was feeling a little lonely, and it was nice to hear a friendly voice. Well this other waiter saw me on my phone and immediately came over and took it from me and started talking to my friend. I was then made to sing "I'm a Little Teapot" to the entire room as punishment. It was embarrasing, but fun!

VERDICT: I thought the food was good, but the service was slow. I will return here, but it is not a "must do"

12/20

Kona Cafe

I have never eaten here before and it was one of my goals for the trip to try it. I was there right at noon and was able to be seated within 10 minutes without a reservation.

My first impression of the restautant was that it was very noisy. Between the waterfall, the conversations from other tables and the sound of heavy carts being pushed over to stone floor of the lobby it seemed like it would be difficult to carry on a conversation at your own table.

For lunch I ordered the salmon BLT without the salad, It make for a funny looking dish, but it was quite tasty! The salmin was perfectly cooked, and the foccocia bread had a wonderful flavor. I cleaned my plate! I couldn't resist ordering dessert and the kilauea tort did not dissapoint! At first I thought it was a little dry, but when I got to the liquid center that balanced out the cake wonderfully.

The service was friendly, but a bit slow. My drink went empty several times, and I noticed other tables around me also waiting on things they had asked for. My server seemed to be preoccupied with figuring out how to ring up a bag of coffee for one of his customers. I think it took him about 15 minutes.

VERDICT: I highly enjoyed this meal. I would definetly return, but I don't think I'd make a special trip just to eat here.

California Grill

I have always wanted to watch the fireworks from the California Grill and this was the trip that I wanted to make it happen. I arrived at the reatauraunt around 7 PM and I did not have a reservation so I knew I might be turned away. I asked at the podium if I could eat at the bar, and I was offered a seat at the sushi counter which sounded lovely.

I really likes eating at the shushi counter. It was fun to watch all of the chefs hard at work, plus I had my own server, rather than being served by one of the bartenders. I highly reccomend the sushi counter for solos or couples!

I tarted with the goat cheese ravioli, with was very good. I thought the floavors complimented one another wonderfully. For my entree I had the scallops with wheat risotto, which was oustanding. The scallops were perfectly cooked and had a wonderful flavor. I decided to skip dessert, one because I was full, and two because nothing on the dessert menu capured my imagination.

I had about an hour to kill inbetween the end of my meal and the fireworks, so I explored the hotel and the giftshopd and headed back up to the restaurant about ten minutes before the fireworks started. I was pointed towards the ovsrvation deck, where I witnessed one of the most amazing views of the fireworks I had ever seen. It was worth the price of the meal.

VERDICT: I loved the meal and I loved the fireworks, but I'm not sure I would do it by myself again. A night that special really does need to be shared.

Citricos

When the fireworks ended I went over to the Grand Floridian to check out their Christmas decorations. It was around this time I was regretting passing on dessert, so I headed up to Citricos to see if they could fit me in for dessert. I was seated immediatly and was given a dessert menu. I was dismeyed to see that my favorite lemon cheesecake had been replaced by pumpkin cheesecake, so I ordered that and coffee. The chessecake was good, but not nearly as good as the lemon and the coffee was wonderful as always. By the end of dessert though I had the feeling that I had overdone it. I probably wouldn't make a special trip here for dessert again.

12/22

Le Cellier

I really wanted to eat here on my last day, but I hadn't been able to get a reservation, so I decided to press my luck and try for a walk in. I arrived a few minutes before they opened and the hostess informed me that they could seat me, but that anyone with a reservation would be seated before me. Well that was perfectly fair, and I was seated within 15 minutes.

I was seated at a table for two that was sadwiced in between two other tables for two by the restrooms. It was akward being seated so close to two other parties, it also made getting up form the table uncomfortable.

I was in a bit of a hurry as I was flying out that day, so I gave the waitor my order right away. It didn't seem to make a difference though because I got my entree at the same time as the people around me, even though they put in their orders a good ten minutes after me. This left me with a lot of time just sitting and waiting. I did enjoy the breadsticks though, with the pretzel being the clear winner of the three.

The food was excellent though. I ordered the petite fillet with cream cheese mashed potatoes. Everything was excellent and very filling, just the thing when I was going to be spennding the next eight hours traveling. For dessert I had the chocolate wiskey cake which was probably the best dessert I had all week. I enjoyed it much more than the creme brule I had on my last visit.

VERDICT: I will continue to return here for excellent food. I just wish the tables weren't so crammed together!

As another solo diner, I appreciate your tip about CG's sushi counter. I didn't even know about it. It's too bad about Chef's de France's attempted seating-I always tell them I'm solo when I check in to dine and I've always gotten a nice window table there (often the same table!).

Enjoyed your reviews, thanks so much. We love the view of the fireworks on CG's observation deck too, it's amazing!!:thumbsup2

Great reviews, thanks for taking the time to post. :butterfly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter