• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Soloing in WDW for my 25th birthday

Therapeutic Smile

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for Steve...
So here's the scoop, I've been a lurker on the boards here for some time but never really joined in the communicatin', so to speak. This December (10-14) I am heading to WDW for my 25th birthday (on the 12th) and am doing the whole trip solo. It's a treat for myself, so I can act as selfish as I want and do whatever and go wherever my whims take me! pirate:

I've been to the World three times previous, each time with my parents and younger brother, as recently as July '03. I'm also an AP holder at DLR and go there at least 2-3 times a year so I know what I like and what I don't, but I'm wondering if there are specific tips for a swingin' single twenty-something such as myself that any of you can relay.

What are the best places to eat for a solo flier? Where are good places to meet people (besides the easiest... in line for rides, of course!)? What are some things that I just *should not miss* while touring the parks solo?

I'm heading out there alone but don't want to be completely *alone* all weekend. Like, I want to be alone but with people :earsboy: ... hence the trip to WDW and not the middle of the woods somewhere!

So... any tips? Or do you know of any good guides you can point me to? Thanks a ton!

Well, you certainly are brave! Braver than me anyway! I can handle a trip to Wal-Mart, or even through a fast food drive through.....but WDW?! I would at least drag my sister along with me!
When I get the urge like that I go with my sister. Men (and usually kids too if I can swing it) are absolutely out of the picture. I want to go where I want, do what I want, and eat what and as much as I want too!!
:teeth:
Have fun!

Therapeutic Smile,

I think you are brave too (far braver then I)!!

Have fun!!!

Okay I am much older - but here goes anyway

do the roller coaster - Splash and Space Mountain, Big Thunder, R&R at MGM, Bluzz lightsaber, tot,st, tt, space mission, world of energy,

if you like foreign counties - do World showcase.

as far as meeting other young singles - your best bid is the CM's.

WDW isn't a place for single males.

they aren't generally into it.

I have meet several looking for females - but I have always avoid those.... they were too young and for some reason I didn't feel that I could trust them???

Be carefully of any single (?) male you meet in the hotels lounges - although in recent years - WDW has tried to stop some of it - the DD hotels still have a problem - males looking for a date - these might really be single or just single for that night.

generally they aren't going to pay for a ticket to the theme park - so I sitll think the males you meet there are okay.

Now if you are male looking for females - then you are in luck....

WDW has always attracted more single females than just about anything else - including rock concerts...

where and how to approach them - just like any other place - just start talking if they are interest then they will talk back.

Thanks for the info so far... just for the record, I am a guy and, as it turns out, maybe one of the few single guys out there who's a Disney nut :jester:

I went to Disney solo in 2001. Actually my last day there was Sept. 11, which of course sucked. I was leaving that day so I wasn't actually IN the park for closing. I was 26 and I had a BLAST!! I was there 5 days. Mostly, yes I met people in line. I enjoyed just talking to people at bus stops, in line, etc. I wasn't really into the "night life", but Downtown Disney definitely has a lot of the younger crowd. I enjoyed eating solo at Wolfgang Pucks on the patio. Actually - I ate a lot of great places - Mexico, Le Cellier in Canada, etc. I'm VERY independent, so being solo didn't bother me one bit. A lot of people gave me the "you're so brave's" and "I could never do that's". My friends are so "some-timesy" I get sick of waiting for OTHERS to make up their minds about doing things, so I just WENT! Honestly, I was so wiped out by the end of the day, I just went back to my room, took a dip in the pool, etc. and I enjoyed relaxing.

My fave rides: Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Aerosmith coaster, Space Mtn. Loved playing "Millionaire" too. It was DEAD when I went so I got to ride everything very quickly. I will actually be there when you are this year. I'll be there from 12/4-12/12. I'm going with my senior parents this time!! I'm DEFINITELY going to Typhoon Lagoon this time to snorkel on the shark reef!

Regardless, you'll have a great time. Sometimes you feel it's too quiet - I just sparked up conversations. At the hotel, this one cute kid kept talking to me so the family invited me to breakfast with them. It was very nice. You'll have a great time!

Hmmm...........2 independent singles at WDW at the same time. :scratchin

:chat: :love:

I agree with nearly everything <B>spiceycat</B> said <I>except</I> that "<I>WDW isn't a place for single males</I>." I have found quite the contrary. I often encounter single males - from visiting businessmen to younger members of visiting sports teams. Some are solo and some are not. And yes, some are gay but the majority do not seem to be.

But if you are a guy looking to hang out with girls of a similar age, there are plenty of those around both solo and in groups.

If you are a "swingin' single" as you said, be <I>sure</I> to visit some of the clubs at <I>Pleasure Island</I>.

Have fun! Remember, <I>Attitude is EVERYTHING!</I>

Now I'm a lot older than you, so you may not like my ideas.

You will be there during Mousefest. There will be many Disers there during that time. Check out allearsnet.com under mousefest for all the meets happening.

If you get into WDW early enough, there is a meet at Jellyrolls on the 10th. TLinden16 is hosting it. You might like that.

Of course there is the Pleasure Island as taswire said.

Have fun.

Susan

I'll be on my first solo trip first week of November.

I'll look out for stuff for swinging singles ;) I'm a bit older but I'm sure I'll have a blast too. It's so easy to talk to people at WDW. I'm sure you'll have a great time. Talk to CM's, sit on a bench and people watch, take your time looking at the details & the hidden mickeys without anyone going "hurry up, we've got to see TOT now!".

Act like a kid, ham it up with the characters, nobody know's you so you can act the fool. Enjoy the performances..maybe do some non-park stuff, I'm going to check out the resorts, something that I never get around to doing with DH.

I'll check out places to eat for you, it's something I'm a bit nervous of, but I'm looking at places where you can sit at the chef's counter, easier than alone at a table... But I've heard that WDW is great at catering for singles in restaurants!

Have a great time!

jjpenguin

Therapeutic Smile, I'll be there solo the same time. Dec. 10-14 (thinking about extending it to 15th).

I plan on doing the christmasie things like Osbourne lights, MVMCP and Candlelight Processional.

I'm not a big eater, so I plan on doing mostly counter service. Although I would love to eat at Chef Mickey's.

I'm sure you will have a great time. Solo disney is very addictive!

:D

I'm 26 and I just got back from my first solo trip to WDW. I absolutely loved it and cannot wait to go again on a solo trip. Depending on if my sister will join my in 2006, I may again be going solo.
What I loved was doing WS solo. I cannot believe all the interesting people that I met! They really educated me. Also, I really liked the AK solo - really took my time, and had no problem getting on rides quickly. They were looking for singles to fill the rides when they were busy.
Where did I eat that I really liked? Le Cellier - oh so good, still craving that steak.
Also, I always tried to eat at the bar because I met other solo travellers or the bartenders talked to me, which was nice too. Additionally, I found that the characters were just as friendly, if not friendlier with me, because I was solo. They never forgot about me.
I wasn't brave enough to do PI by myself, so if I really needed a drink, I had one with dinner. By 11pm, I was usually so tired that I ended up going to bed. The nice thing though, was if I wanted to sleep in, I could because this was my vacation.
I don't know if you will have time, but IOA at USO was really great too. They have solo rider lines and I was able to get onto all the rides within a couple of hours, and if I wanted to go back onto the rides, I just went back onto the solo rider lines and was back on within minutes, while others were waiting in line for sometimes 60+ minutes!
Anyways, you'll have a great time. Just take your time to listen all around you - you will be surprised at everything you hear.
Jo

Originally posted by Therapeutic Smile
Thanks for the info so far... just for the record, I am a guy and, as it turns out, maybe one of the few single guys out there who's a Disney nut :jester:

Count me in as one of those few single guy Disney Nuts!!! :crazy: I'll be there flying solo from the 12th to the 18th. Jellyrolls can be a good place to meet people with the singalong. I went alone in August and ended up seating with a whole table of folks my age who invited me over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter