Some ??? About AT Roomette Travel

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
Planning a Winter 2024 trip Lorton/Sanford in a roomette and need some info, we're 2 healthy Seniors, no mobility issues:

Our booking window opens soon, should we book early, any advantage to waiting? Do prices drop and if so can we re-book at the lower price?

Pros/Cons re upper vs lower level?

Meals included and if so are they delivered or do we go to a dining car?

Tiping etiquette? Don't want to stiff the help.

General advice on dealing with a roomette? We've viewed several Youtubes but always open to more info.

Thanks,

BillFromPA

Amtrak is currently waiving change fares so you can rebook at a lower fare with out a penalty.

Meals are included for those with sleepers and they have a dinning car. I believe they will deliver meals to your room as well.

If you have not seen it already Amtrak has it's own Auto Train page
https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train-experience

Also check out this DIS page. It goes way back to 2003 but you can probably go back a few pages and get the general idea of what is currently happening.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/all-about-the-autotrain.402667/

Also seniors here. We did Amtrak Chicago to Santa Fe the fall before Covid in a roomette. They are very compact, but designed so there are a lot of niches to put things. We were upper level, same as dining and observation cars. That was a plus. Meals were in dining car, and steward came by several hours before each meal to reserve a time for us. Expect to share table with another couple. That actually was very nice. Food was ok. The only negative for us was the sleeping experience. My husband took the top berth, which has very little headroom. You could not sit up in it. luggage webbing kept him from rolling out. In the morning, he had to roll out of the bed With me making sure he did not hurt himself. On The return trip, we did not use the berths. We reclined the chairs as much as possible, and put our feet on The other’s seat. Also, we learned that Amtrak, at least on our route, runs on track owned by freight lines, so we had to stop and wait at times for freight trains to pass. We were late both directions.

Overall, the daytime experience was good. Sleeping was not. I might do it gain, but would prefer to fly.

Thanks for the replies, our window opens in a few days and we're looking forward to making a ressie for our Snowbird 2024 trip. The last 4 years we drove down, no more of that! Looks like the Autotrain is more than a drive down but less than a flight and car rental.

BillFromPA

No real experience, but I stayed in a holiday inn express…….I saw a YouTube video, the sway on the upper level is more than lower level. Not sure if that’s good or bad with sleeping.

Also, we learned that Amtrak, at least on our route, runs on track owned by freight lines, so we had to stop and wait at times for freight trains to pass. We were late both directions.
Amtrak only owns a small portion of the lines they run on. Pretty much from Boston to DC and I believe Philly to Harrisburg, I really should know that for sure as I used to work for them :) . The rest of the Country they run over tracks owned by railroads like CSX, BNSF,and Norfolk Southern.

@PSUGuy If you can book a specific or make a request for a roomette I recommend the middle of the coach. Although the cars have suspension, sitting over the trucks you tend to feel it when you go over switch points. Not that it would through you around but the middle of the coach will give a smoother ride.

Also as an FYI, although there are no passenger stops on the Auto Train the train does stop to change operating crews and service the locomotives at the Florence, SC crew base.

I've only ever been in a roomette on the top level. But I had a handicap access room for my folks on the lower level (while dd and I stayed in a roomette upstairs in same car) and my mom thought it was 'rough' rolling.

Be aware that the stairs up are narrow and steep. Also know that one person has to be able to climb up into the top bunk of the roomette. I do enjoy the Auto Train, but my (elderly and disabled) parents did not.

If you want to eat in your room, be sure to ask at the check-in desk when they ask what dinner time you want. Lately, if you don't ask in advance, they won't do it.
I have found that the prices tend to drop at the 5/6 month mark and I have rebooked at the lower price.

Question - is anyone taking the train soon? I'd like to know the width of the slot that is under the hangers (the non-step seat side). I want to be sure my tote can slide into that spot.
Thanks

Planning a Winter 2024 trip Lorton/Sanford in a roomette and need some info, we're 2 healthy Seniors, no mobility issues:

Our booking window opens soon, should we book early, any advantage to waiting? Do prices drop and if so can we re-book at the lower price?

Pros/Cons re upper vs lower level?

Meals included and if so are they delivered or do we go to a dining car?

Tiping etiquette? Don't want to stiff the help.

General advice on dealing with a roomette? We've viewed several Youtubes but always open to more info.

Thanks,

BillFromPA

Amtrak prices generally go up the closer to the date so you may want to book early.

Upper level gives you a better view, and that is the level you use to pass between cars. Lower level is where you enter, and where most of the restrooms/showers are. So there are pros and cons to both.

Roomettes are "cozy" so be sure you really like your roommate. When it's in sleeping configuration there is only room for one person to stand up. The top bunk can be tricky to get up to even if you don't have mobility issues.

Amtrak prices generally go up the closer to the date so you may want to book early.

Upper level gives you a better view, and that is the level you use to pass between cars. Lower level is where you enter, and where most of the restrooms/showers are. So there are pros and cons to both.

Roomettes are "cozy" so be sure you really like your roommate. When it's in sleeping configuration there is only room for one person to stand up. The top bunk can be tricky to get up to even if you don't have mobility issues.
If you know you are going on a certain date, booking early is not a bad idea. We usually book early and then start checking for price drops around the 5 or 6-month mark. We almost always rebook at a lower rate. Even when there is a fee to rebook, we have still saved money/points by rebooking. Join the rewards program for free to build up points for a future trip.
If you wish to eat in your room instead of the dining room, you have to ask at the check in desk. Recently they have not been allowing people to ask on board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter