• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

some more EVC ?s

PaulaSue

<font color=purple>I have a purple car too and lov
I can't talk my Dad into renting an EVC, yet, for our trip in Jan. He is getting worse and wouldn't even go with us to Hersheypark this summer because his knees are failing and needed surgery again soon.

I am a planner and I am worried that IF we wait until that day they will be sold out either in the park or outside of the park. Please tell me they have plenty on hand in the parks. Do you have to book the park's EVC ahead of that day.

Also I can't find the links for the outside rentals. Any help with that?

I remember that onsite were more expensive but I can't remember. I am not interested in the regular wheelchairs since I have 3 little girls, my Mom can't really push him all day and he can't do it himself with a bad neck, shoulder and elbow. He has had about every major joint operated on. It is good he is not a horse. :rotfl:

Sorry to ask, I am sure this has been asked a million times.

The only company I have used is Walker Mobility. They are absolutely wonderful. We had a problem early in the morning with the ECV that we rented. It wouldn't go no matter what we did. We called them and they showed up 30 minutes later with a new one that worked beautifully!! They will deliver it to your room. You can use it on the last day of your visit and take it back to the hotel at the end of the day. They are absolutely wonderful to do business with. Would definitely recommend them to anyone!!

Here is the link.

http://www.walkermobility.com/

If you go to the "disABILITIES FAQ" ((currently the 6th item in the index page) you will find information about using ECVs and listing rental locations that have been sucessfully used in the past.

Please ask your father the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

PaulaSue,

I was going through the same thing with my dad trying to plan our Dec trip. He kept telling me he "needed the excersise". I finally sent him the park maps of Epcot and Ak and put a sticky on the maps stating how man acres they were and he called me and said I think I'll probably need the ECV :cool1:

I was sure I had responded to this, but my reply isn't here.

I just wanted to add that the park ECVs can't be reserved ahead of time, so you take a chance that when you get to the park they may not have any. You have to leave the ECV in the park you rented it from, but if you park hop, you can get another in the next park (if they have any left). All you have to do is show your receipt.
Since you really need one (no one to push a wheelchair), you would be wise to rent from one of the off-site places. Contact information about the companies that DIS posters have reported good experiences with are in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, as Cheshire Figment mentioned.

Another way to point out the distance is to think of something that is about 3-4 miles from their house (grocery store, church, school, etc). Ask him if he's be able to walk there - he'll most likely look at you like you grew 3 heads. Then explain that he will have to walk at least that far each day in the parks (probably more). It sounds like he does understand the problem with walking in a park (since he's refused to come to HersheyPark this summer). So, he may have some other issues (?cost?, how he'll look??)

On our last trip, I rented one from Walker Mobility, it was great -- however, it only worked because there was an adult male in our party who could assemble/disassemble and LIFT it (it was at least 35 lbs.) I have RA and couldn't have done either on my own. If you use Disney transportation, they should be able to take it, but if you drive you'll need to take it apart to put in the trunk (unless you rent a special van, which is over $100/day).

The next trip is just me and my DS, age 10, so we'll get to the parks every day when they open and rent one each day there. Best strategy depends on who's in your party.

weird, I wasn't emailed with replies.....

Thanks for the replies. Money is not really a factor for him. Stubburn ;) man who says he is not ready to wake up and realize that he was way to tough on his body and now is paying for it. I just want him to have fun and not "kill" his knees trying to keep up with the kids. He acts like a big kid so if you see a 55, sorry 56 then year old being the MOST goofy older guy in Jan you will know it is my father :rotfl2: It is embarassing sometimes but at Disney at least no one will know it is my Dad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter