"Sometimes the right path is not the easiest one." - 1st Training Journal (comments welcome!)

Wednesday, February 17, 2021
I did it! I ran the half marathon - my first half marathon that didn’t take place in Disney!

I got a little bit of a late start as I tried to decide what I wanted to bring with me. I wore some cold weather gear and was able to remove some and leave them in the car as I got started. The first half was great.

After the halfway mark, things started to go downhill. I started to hit a wall around mile 7. I probably I started too fast for the distance I was going to run. The sun disappeared behind the clouds. The wind picked up like yesterday while I was running against it. I got tired of the runDisney Virtual Princess playlist and decided to switch to my tried and true running playlist, only to find that half of it was missing. I started getting hungry, and I got into a bad headspace. I know a lot about running is mental, and I got a true taste of that today!

Running half marathons in Disney isn’t easy, but when you have the social, emotional, and mental support of a live race in the most magical place on earth with thousands of runners all striving for the same goal, it’s a little easier to stay positive. I found this to be a lot harder on my own. I know I was undertrained and I took on a challenging task, but I accepted that. I hit the wall around mile 7, and had to find ways to push through that second half of the run.

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
TRY.. and finish! :)
Distance: 13.10 mi
Total Time: 3:24:06
Avg. Pace: 15'35"/mi
Splits:
Mile 1 =
16'16"
Mile 2 = 14'33"
Mile 3 = 14'57"
Mile 4 = 14'54"
Mile 5 = 14'30"
Mile 6 = 15'44"
Mile 7 = 16'26"
Mile 8 = 15'39"
Mile 9 = 15'42"
Mile 10 = 15'40"
Mile 11 = 15'45"
Mile 12 = 16'33"
Mile 13 = 15'49"
0.10 = 16'02"

Despite my second half struggles, I’m very proud of what I was able to accomplish. I finished with no pain; I was honestly just tired. I completed all three Princess Weekend races virtually three days in a row, which was not planned, and I did them all with an “easy run” mentality. So what’s next?

My next running goal is the WDW Marathon in 2022. I’m hoping that the race is able to be held live, because I’m not doing my first marathon virtually! If the race is able to happen, I’m also hoping I’ll be able to train for, find and complete a live race for POT.

Once I complete the winter miles challenge that I’m working on, I’m hoping to build in time to restart my DopeyBadger 10K training plan. I’m hoping to start in the spring, but if not, definitely in the summer!

These past few days have been a whirlwind, but I’m proud of my accomplishments! It felt great to find the joy of running again, and I look forward to strength and improvement over time!

Congratulations! Great accomplishment! :banana:

"Good day to try! Why, if I picked a day to fly, this would be it!" ~ Quasimodo, The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Today's runDisney post made it a good day to revive my training journal! Here's to hoping that the "run"derful news we receive tomorrow means a return to live runDisney races in the near future!

My future running goals are:
- to restart my @DopeyBadger training plan from last summer, and finish it!
- to get a qualifying POT at my local 10K (live this year!) on August 8th
- to complete the virtual runDisney Summer Series races
- to register for my first marathon at (hopefully) 2022 Marathon Weekend
- to register for Princess 2022
- to possibly register for the new April race (chance for perfect status!)

I know it's a late start for training for the 10K, but I'm excited to give it a try and hoping for positive results either way.

Here are some updates since my last post in February:
- On April 3, 2021 I ran the 2021 Virtual Star Wars Rival Run Half Marathon. I was still dealing with an injury/issue with my foot, but I went into it with the mindset to pace myself and run smarter, not harder. I took it very easy for the first half, allowed myself to push a little more, and then pushed more in the last 3.1 miles. This half marathon was so much more enjoyable than the virtual Princess run because I took it easy. I felt so good, I wasn't nearly as tired, and I unintentionally set a new PR!
Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Finish without further injury
Distance: 13.11 mi
Total Time: 3:18:54
Avg. Pace: 15'10"/mi
Splits:
Mile 1 =
16'16"
Mile 2 = 15'31"
Mile 3 = 16'39"
Mile 4 = 15'59"
Mile 5 = 15'29"
Mile 6 = 15'29"
Mile 7 = 14'53"
Mile 8 = 15'49"
Mile 9 = 15'41"
Mile 10 = 15'27"
Mile 11 = 14'08"
Mile 12 = 13'21"
Mile 13 = 12'55"
0.11 = 11'36"

- On April 17, 2021 I ran the 2021 Virtual Star Wars Rival Run 10K. I did it because it was 10K day, but I was tired that day and really didn't want to lol. I also had PT for my foot that morning before I ran, so I knew it would be tough. I decided to just take it easy, and make my goal to try for a light run with negative splits:
Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Light run with negative splits
Distance: 6.20 mi
Total Time: 1:29:29
Avg. Pace: 14'25"/mi
Splits:
Mile 1 =
15'33"
Mile 2 = 15'10"
Mile 3 = 14'38"
Mile 4 = 14'37"
Mile 5 = 13'44"
Mile 6 = 13'30"
0.11 = 11'11"

- I'm technically done with PT and my foot is getting better, but I admittedly haven't been doing the workouts at home like I should. Pledging to start that again tonight!

- I got a Peloton and it's been such a mental game changer for me. Before it arrived I took advantage of the app and took a lot of the strength and stretching classes. I do some form of exercise with either the bike or the app every day. Now I'll just have to find a balance as I reintroduce running into my week.

So now I'm back with a new running journal notebook for scheduling and accountability, new Brooks, and a new attitude! I hope everyone here is doing well, and I look forward to tomorrow's runDisney announcement and lots of buzz on the boards regarding upcoming registrations! :wave:

So much runDisney news in one day! Adding the parks blog link here for my future reference:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...eturns-to-walt-disney-world-resort-this-fall/

I posted in the News and Developments thread about my reactions, and many thoughts have raced through my mind all day about it. In short:
- I'm very excited that live runDisney is coming back!
- I'm disappointed in the removal of AP/DVC early registration, and nervous for how difficult race registration days will be now.
- I was disappointed in the new 2:00 POT, but now I'm actually relieved. I'm way too far away for that to be a goal right now, so now I can just enjoy running and not stress about getting POT.

The next situation is the number of races I want to register for, and how my schedule will make this fairly difficult. I'm already planning to go to WDW for the 50th anniversary (the actual date), so now my time off is limited and I have to figure it out. I want to register for:

1. WDW Marathon - My goal was always marathon 2022 and Dopey 2023. I want to run my first marathon by itself and embrace that experience before attempting Dopey. Do we think 2023 will still be an anniversary year?
2. Princess 5K and Fairy Tale Challenge - The first (and only) live runDisney weekend I've ever done, so it's kind of tradition.
3. runDisney Springtime Surprise - Race(s) TBD! To be completely honest, this desire comes from my only chance to earn perfect status with a new race weekend. With the idea that the themes and distances will change each year, I'm starting to wonder if perfect status can/will even be a thing. Regardless, the idea of some new themes and race distances is definitely enticing!

I don't know if I'll be able to swing all of these races, but those are the ones I'm currently interested in. Decisions might end up being made by which races I actually get into on each registration day!

Now that the announcement has been made, we wait and see how things go with the first race on the calendar, Wine and Dine! I was surprised to see that they kept the same theme from last year's virtual, and now I wonder if the medals will be the same. I'm slightly considering registering for the virtual 10K just for the NBC theme (clever runDisney, very clever), but we'll see. I'm glad I'll be able to watch the threads for Wine and Dine registration, course and medal reveals, and overall logistics compared to previous race weekends. In the meantime, we train! :cool1:

Question for @DopeyBadger:

I'm all set to start my 10K train plan again from last year. My schedule should be better this year so I'll be in a much better place to complete it! Thank you for all the work you already put in for me last year! I know a lot of people already finished their first week of marathon training. Since I'm looking forward to (hopefully) running my first marathon in January, if I complete this plan as is and continue onto another one when it's finished (October/November), should I be ready for Marathon Weekend?

I'm not looking for incredibly fast times, but I want to be sure I'm trained enough to safely and successfully complete the 26.2 miles.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• LiveLoveDance 10k 2020_07_09.pdf
    78.4 KB · Views: 4

Question for @DopeyBadger:

I'm all set to start my 10K train plan again from last year. My schedule should be better this year so I'll be in a much better place to complete it! Thank you for all the work you already put in for me last year! I know a lot of people already finished their first week of marathon training. Since I'm looking forward to (hopefully) running my first marathon in January, if I complete this plan as is and continue onto another one when it's finished (October/November), should I be ready for Marathon Weekend?

I'm not looking for incredibly fast times, but I want to be sure I'm trained enough to safely and successfully complete the 26.2 miles.

Thanks in advance!

So first things first, the plan is only a good choice if you're at the same fitness level and recent running volume is somewhat similar.

With that being said, the plan is 16 weeks long which leaves 11 weeks until Marathon Weekend. The plan peaks at 3.5 hrs, 15 miles, 6.6 mile max (90 min), three days per week of running.

10/25 - Recover
11/1 - Peak (105 min; 5 hrs)
11/8 - Mod
11/15 - Peak (120 min; 5.5 hrs)
11/22 - Recover
11/29 - Peak (135 min; 6 hrs)
12/6 - Mod
12/13 - Peak (150 min; 6.5 hrs)
12/20 - Taper
12/27 - Taper
1/3 - Race Week

I don't like to have the long run encompass much more than 40% of the weekly mileage. So if we peak at 150 min, then we're looking at 6:25 hours of running total (or 3:55 hours from the rest of the week). If you stick with three days per week, then you're looking at about 2 hours per other run (which isn't really feasible). If you go with four days per week, then you're looking at about 1:15 hrs per run. If you go with five days per week, then you're looking at 1:00 hr per other days.

I worry about the transition point between these two plans. I feel like the ramp rate in those last 11 weeks is going to be really aggressive. Just taking a few moments looking it over doesn't make me really comfortable. You look like minimally you need to be up to about 4.5-5 hrs per week at the end of the first plan. So I think there are a lot of things to talk over about this.

So first things first, the plan is only a good choice if you're at the same fitness level and recent running volume is somewhat similar.

With that being said, the plan is 16 weeks long which leaves 11 weeks until Marathon Weekend. The plan peaks at 3.5 hrs, 15 miles, 6.6 mile max (90 min), three days per week of running.

10/25 - Recover
11/1 - Peak (105 min; 5 hrs)
11/8 - Mod
11/15 - Peak (120 min; 5.5 hrs)
11/22 - Recover
11/29 - Peak (135 min; 6 hrs)
12/6 - Mod
12/13 - Peak (150 min; 6.5 hrs)
12/20 - Taper
12/27 - Taper
1/3 - Race Week

I don't like to have the long run encompass much more than 40% of the weekly mileage. So if we peak at 150 min, then we're looking at 6:25 hours of running total (or 3:55 hours from the rest of the week). If you stick with three days per week, then you're looking at about 2 hours per other run (which isn't really feasible). If you go with four days per week, then you're looking at about 1:15 hrs per run. If you go with five days per week, then you're looking at 1:00 hr per other days.

I worry about the transition point between these two plans. I feel like the ramp rate in those last 11 weeks is going to be really aggressive. Just taking a few moments looking it over doesn't make me really comfortable. You look like minimally you need to be up to about 4.5-5 hrs per week at the end of the first plan. So I think there are a lot of things to talk over about this.
I’d say I’m probably at a similar fitness level as last year. I'm getting more regular exercise with the Peloton bike and app this year, in comparison to my exercise with dance last year, but I feel like I just replaced one with another. I really started running more last year when I started the 10K plan, and it was just about this time last year, so I feel like the running volume is also similar. I'd be comfortable using last year's stats as a baseline.

Last year's plan was to get ready for a good 10K for POT, and then work towards training for the Princess half. This year I'm not focused on POT (which is more relieving than anything), so my goals/race plans for now are a local 10K August 8th, WDW Marathon in January, and then the Princess 5K & Challenge in February.

I would like to stick with 3 days per week if possible. I could do more days right now, but when September hits my schedule gets more busy. This year my schedule will be better, so I know I can stick with it to the end, but I want to make sure the schedule is attainable.

I would like to stick with 3 days per week if possible. I could do more days right now, but when September hits my schedule gets more busy. This year my schedule will be better, so I know I can stick with it to the end, but I want to make sure the schedule is attainable.

I think if you're going to want to aim for 3 days per week from September through January, then your best bet is to do the Galloway Marathon plan. It's done the trick for many many other runners. I've only written a small handful (only one off the top of my head) 4 day a week running plans, and a few more 4/5 day plans. I think 3 days per week is really pushing it to properly prepare you for a marathon. The other consideration is to consider capping at a HM distance until you feel like you can devote more time to training. But if you've got your heart set on running a marathon in January, then look into the Galloway plan. The downside is that the max long training run (23 and 26 miles) is going to take you about 5.75-6.5 hrs if they're done at the appropriate pace for your fitness level. So you can do less days per week, but it'll take a large weekend commitment.

I think if you're going to want to aim for 3 days per week from September through January, then your best bet is to do the Galloway Marathon plan. It's done the trick for many many other runners. I've only written a small handful (only one off the top of my head) 4 day a week running plans, and a few more 4/5 day plans. I think 3 days per week is really pushing it to properly prepare you for a marathon. The other consideration is to consider capping at a HM distance until you feel like you can devote more time to training. But if you've got your heart set on running a marathon in January, then look into the Galloway plan. The downside is that the max long training run (23 and 26 miles) is going to take you about 5.75-6.5 hrs if they're done at the appropriate pace for your fitness level. So you can do less days per week, but it'll take a large weekend commitment.
I appreciate your honesty! I'll give it a try. Thoughts on starting the Galloway plan a week late? I'm looking at the beginner marathon plan right now and Week 1 is Tuesday 30 min, Thursday 30 min, and Saturday 3 miles. Week 2 is Tuesday 30 minutes, Thursday 30 minutes, and Saturday 4 miles. Would it make sense to start with Week 2 and do 3.5 miles on Saturday - a halfway compromise?

I appreciate your honesty! I'll give it a try. Thoughts on starting the Galloway plan a week late? I'm looking at the beginner marathon plan right now and Week 1 is Tuesday 30 min, Thursday 30 min, and Saturday 3 miles. Week 2 is Tuesday 30 minutes, Thursday 30 minutes, and Saturday 4 miles. Would it make sense to start with Week 2 and do 3.5 miles on Saturday - a halfway compromise?

The Week 2 of Galloway is exactly the same as Week 1 of the 10k plan attached above. So I think you're good to go as long as you feel you're running enough to start the 10k plan.

Monday, July 5th
No running today, but I have some slightly embarrassing information to add that I think will be important to my upcoming runs.

This year I developed a lot of pain in my left big toe. No real cause of the pain was ever determined, but the doctor tried different strategies until it eventually got better/manageable after PT. Fast forward to a couple days ago and my foot is bothering me again. Pain in and under my toe, lots of cracking when I walk... I attributed it to not doing the PT exercises, so last night I buckled down and did ALL of them (I was given daily stretches, and 2-3x weekly strength exercises). I figured I'd sit down today and add these exercises to my training schedule to make sure I get them done regularly.

This morning I was still hurting, but I figured I just did a lot of exercise with it, so I did the daily stretches and then went out for a 2 mile walk with my brand new Brooks Glycerin 19s. (I chose to walk in them first to get a feel for them before I go for a run with them tomorrow).

Rewind to an important part that I didn't think too much of at the time: When I ordered these new shoes online, they came in a little too small. I had a couple pairs of Glycerins in the past (purchased at a running shop, so I was confident in the fit), so I figured maybe the 19s just ran a little smaller than normal. I returned them and ordered another pair in a half size larger, which I wore today for my walk.

I came back from my walk, did a 5 minute stretch, stretched out my toe and iced it a little. Then I got myself ready to go out and run some errands.

Put on a pair of shoes, and that's when it hit me. My shoes are too small. :eek:

All this time, I'm miserable and in pain, because I'm walking around in shoes that are too small. The inner heels of two pairs of shoes have ripped open, which I thought was strange but I attributed to the insoles. My shoes were too small!

After that realization, I went out and treated myself to a new pair of sneakers (Brooks Ghost 13s) for walking/everyday use and got rid of 2 pairs of worn/too small everyday sneakers. I'll also have to part ways with my Glycerin 17s, which is a little sad because I really liked them and they only have about 130 miles on them.

I start marathon training officially tomorrow, and hopefully I'll love the 19s just as much and that'll help soften the blow!

Tuesday, July 6, 2021
Today I started my first day of the Jeff Galloway runDisney Marathon Training Program (Week 2). It was my first run since April 17th, and my first guided/paced run since October of 2020! I'm really looking forward to a new schedule this year with more time to do the things I enjoy doing!

This morning I woke up and did my PT stretch exercises for my foot. It was a little stiff today, but nothing too bad. After my PT stretches I got dressed and ready to run. Before I left the house I did a 5 min pre-run warmup on the Peloton app. I'm so glad I invested in the bike, because Peloton has been a game changer for me!

START:
Weather Conditions:
Partly Cloudy
Temp + Dew Point: 73 + 67 = 140
Feels Like: 73
Wind: SW 12 mph
Humidity: 82%
UV Index: 2
Running Conditions Index: 7

END:
Weather Conditions:
Partly Cloudy
Temp + Dew Point: 77 + 69 = 146
Feels Like: 77
Wind: SW 12mph
Humidity: 76%
UV Index: 4

Outdoor Walk:
Focus: Warm up
Distance: 0.50 mi
Total Time: 0:09:37
Avg. Pace: 19'06"/mi

The hardest parts about today's run were remembering how to juggle the apps on my watch to get all three to run at the same time (Nike+, Intervals Pro, and Music), and getting back into the rhythm of an Easy/LR pace. It was a little difficult to remember exactly what that pace felt like, but I think I got the flow again about halfway through. I took it slow/easy, tried not to worry about the alerts (slow down, speed up, etc), and just tried to keep it consistent. I didn't feel tired in any way by the end, so I know I did okay!

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus: Galloway Marathon Training - 30 min (2 mi @ 60/30 sec @ 14:00/17:00 paces)
Distance: 2.02 mi
Total Time: 0:29:35
Avg. Pace: 14'37"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'15"
2 = 14'52"
0.02 = 19'49"

(Intervals Pro)
Focus: Galloway Marathon Training - 30 min (2 mi @ 60/30 sec @ 14:00/17:00 paces)
Distance: 2.02 mi
Total Time: 0:29:32
Avg. Pace: 14'34"/mi
Intervals:
Run/Walk:
15:00/16:25
Run/Walk: 13:31/16:05
Run/Walk: 13:05/15:10
Run/Walk: 13:38/15:28
Run/Walk: 13:45/15:46
Run/Walk: 13:05/15:10
Run/Walk: 13:59/16:05
Run/Walk: 13:52/16:05
Run/Walk: 13:45/16:05
Run/Walk: 14:14/18:42
Run/Walk: 13:59/16:18
Run/Walk: 12:51/15:46
Run/Walk: 14:07/16:25
Run/Walk: 14:45/16:05
Run/Walk: 14:07/17:07
Run/Walk: 14:45/15:46
Run/Walk: 14:54/16:45
Run/Walk: 13:59/17:07
Run/Walk: 14:07/end

Outdoor Walk:
Focus: Cool down
Total Time: 0:09:26
Avg. Pace: 18'39"/mi

When I got home I did a 5 min post-run stretch. Later this afternoon I'll get my PT strength exercises done, and be done for the day. Today was a refreshing day for a run (so glad I got it done before the real heat of the day kicked in), and I'm excited to check off my first day of Galloway training and add a few miles to my virtual summer miles challenge at the same time!

Last edited:
Thursday, July 8, 2021
Got in another run this morning. I did my PT stretch exercises and a 5 min pre-run warm up before heading out the door. Today I tried out another pair of new running shoes (I had splurged and bought the Brooks Aurora-BL online!).

START:
Weather Conditions: Partly Cloudy
Temp + Dew Point: 74 + 70 = 144
Feels Like: 74
Wind: ESE 9 mph
Humidity: 86%
UV Index: 1

END:
Temp + Dew Point: 76 + 71= 147
Feels Like: 76
Wind: ESE 8 mph
Humidity: 86%

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:28
Avg. Pace: 18'47"/mi

Today's run was fairly humid. Although I wasn't working hard, I was sweating and trying to wipe the sweat away before the sweat + sunblock dripped into my eyes. :oops: Today I continued to work on my Easy/LR pace consistency.

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Galloway Marathon Training - 30 min (2 mi @ 60/30 sec @ 14:00/17:00 paces)
Distance: 2.01 mi
Total Time: 0:29:46
Avg. Pace: 14'45"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'32"
2 = 14'50"
0.01 = 23'21"

(Intervals Pro)
Avg. Pace: 14'40"/mi
Intervals:
Run/Walk:
14:44/16:05
Run/Walk: 13:31/16:25
Run/Walk: 13:31/17:52
Run/Walk: 13:11/17:52
Run/Walk: 13:38/16:05
Run/Walk: 13:31/17:52
Run/Walk: 14:22/15:28
Run/Walk: 13:38/18:17
Run/Walk: 13:38/16:45
Run/Walk: 14:22/16:05
Run/Walk: 13:59/15:10
Run/Walk: 14:45/15:28
Run/Walk: 14:37/15:46
Run/Walk: 14:29/15:46
Run/Walk: 14:14/15:46
Run/Walk: 15:02/17:07
Run/Walk: 13:52/17:07
Run/Walk: 14:22/end

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:33
Avg. Pace: 18'58"/mi

I finished with a 5 min post-run stretch after the run. All in all it was a decent run. No complaints at all. I'm no expert but I loved the shoes - the cushion felt so good under my feet!

A local race series is returning, and I'm most likely going to register for it. A few live 5Ks will be a nice change of pace. I just have to figure out how to incorporate them into my plan. Each live race announcement makes me feel more confident in a decent runDisney return!

Saturday, July 10, 2021
Long run day! Today I completed my first week of Galloway training (week two of the marathon training plan). It feels so good to be running again. I decided against registering for the race series - I’m going to just continue my plan as is and save the money towards my runDisney registration fees!

START:
Weather Conditions:
Partly Cloudy
Temp + Dew Point: 72 + 69 = 141
Feels Like: 72
Wind: N 8 mph
Humidity: 93%
UV Index: 0

END:
Weather Conditions:
Cloudy
Temp + Dew Point: 73 + 68 = 141
Feels Like: 73
Wind: N 10 mph
Humidity: 85%

Quick 5 minute Pre-Run warmup before I headed out the door.

Outdoor Walk:
Focus:
Warm up
Total Time: 0:09:48
Avg. Pace: 19'25"/mi

Today was feel good run. I felt comfortable and confident. Hopefully I'll feel the same way as the long runs get longer...

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)

Focus:
Galloway Marathon Training - 4 miles (60/30 sec @ 14:00/17:00 paces)
Distance: 4.02 mi
Total Time: 1:00:39
Avg. Pace: 15'05"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'36"
2 = 15’23"
3 = 15'10"
4 = 15'05"
0.02 = 18'20"

(Intervals Pro)
Focus:
Galloway Marathon Training - 4 miles (60/30 sec @ 14:00/17:00 paces) - My intervals went a little too long so I ended the run when I saw I had reached 4 miles.
Distance: 4.02 mi
Total Time: 1:00:40
Avg. Pace: 15'04"/mi
Intervals:
Run/Walk:
15:26/16:25
Run/Walk: 13:31/16:45
Run/Walk: 13:24/17:07
Run/Walk: 13:31/16:25
Run/Walk: 13:45/15:46
Run/Walk: 13:59/17:52
Run/Walk: 14:14/16:05
Run/Walk: 14:07/18:42
Run/Walk: 13:59/15:28
Run/Walk: 14:45/16:45
Run/Walk: 13:59/18:17
Run/Walk: 14:29/16:25
Run/Walk: 14:37/16:45
Run/Walk: 14:45/16:45
Run/Walk: 15:56/16:45
Run/Walk: 15:10/17:07
Run/Walk: 14:22/16:45
Run/Walk: 15:46/15:46
Run/Walk: 14:54/15:46
Run/Walk: 14:37/17:07
Run/Walk: 14:37/16:45
Run/Walk: 14:22/16:05
Run/Walk: 13:59/15:46
Run/Walk: 14:29/15:10
Run/Walk: 15:02/16:25
Run/Walk: 14:22/15:46
Run/Walk: 15:28/16:25
Run/Walk: 15:19/15:46
Run/Walk: 13:59/17:07
Run/Walk: 14:07/14:37
Run/Walk: 14:45/16:25
Run/Walk: 13:52/17:52
Run/Walk: 15:10/16:05
Run/Walk: 14:29/17:07
Run/Walk: 14:29/17:07
Run/Walk: 14:45/17:07
Run (00:00:38): 14:09

Outdoor Walk:
Focus:
Cool down
Distance: 0.52 mi
Total Time: 0:10:02
Avg. Pace: 19'06"/mi

Finished with 5 min post-run stretch after the run. I will say I feel like this time around the running is easier than last summer. I'm not sure if it's because I already have a better understanding of the process, or if I'm more physically ready, or possibly a combination of both! I felt good this afternoon and celebrated with a live ride on the Peloton. First week done!

Tuesday, July 13, 2021
Today was the first day of my second week of Galloway Marathon training. Last night was a little tough for a number of reasons, and I didn't sleep too well. Embarrassingly enough, I think a small part of it was nervousness for Wine & Dine registration this morning, which is ridiculous because I wasn't even registering for it! I have to say I'm floored that it's over 10 hours after registration opened and the 5K, half, and challenge are still available. I know Wine & Dine is a different weekend, and there are a lot of other circumstances that could have impacted this years registration numbers, but I hope that this sets a good tone for our chances for Marathon and Princess!

So this morning I was dealing with some work issues, and didn't get out the door in the morning like I normally would. I'm determined to stick with my training, so I did my 30 minute run this afternoon even though I was exhausted. Luckily the weather was relatively cool all day, so it actually wasn't any hotter than it normally is for my morning runs.

START:
Weather Conditions: Cloudy
Temp + Dew Point: 72 + 69 = 141
Wind: E 9 mph
Humidity: 91%

END:
Weather Conditions: Cloudy
Temp + Dew Point: 72 + 67 = 139
Wind: E 10 mph
Humidity: 84%

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:21
Avg. Pace: 18'34"/mi

As much as I wasn't excited about running this afternoon, it was fine because it was an easy run. Not exhausting, not frustrating, just a breath of fresh air. I felt good!

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Galloway Marathon Training - 30 min (2 miles @ 60/30 sec @ 14:00/17:00 paces)
Total Time: 0:30:22
Avg. Pace: 15'05"/mi
Splits:
1 =
15'12"
2 = 14’56"
0.01 = 16'51"

(Intervals Pro)
Focus: Galloway Marathon Training - 30 min (2 miles @ 60/30 sec @ 14:00/17:00 paces) - Somehow this app ended a little short of 2 miles today :confused3
Distance: 1.96 mi
Avg. Pace: 15'03"/mi
Intervals:
Run/Walk:
15:08/16:05
Run/Walk: 15:28/16:25
Run/Walk: 13:52/17:29
Run/Walk: 14:54/16:05
Run/Walk: 14:45/19:09
Run/Walk: 15:10/17:29
Run/Walk: 14:54/16:05
Run/Walk: 13:59/16:25
Run/Walk: 14:37/15:28
Run/Walk: 14:07/15:46
Run/Walk: 15:54/16:45
Run/Walk: 13:24/17:52
Run/Walk: 14:07/15:28
Run/Walk: 14:37/15:46
Run/Walk: 14:22/17:52
Run/Walk: 13:52/16:25
Run/Walk: 14:45/end

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:17
Avg. Pace: 18'27"/mi

Finished with a 5 min Post Run stretch, and later this evening I got a 20 min low impact ride in. I'm a little tired, but more from not getting a great sleep than the exercise.

Marathon Weekend registration is in 2 weeks! I'm trying to stay calm and remind myself that I'm going to get my devices together and do the best I can, but it's so easy to freak out... I'm only registering for one race (the full), so I'm hoping my chances will be good!

(edited to fix the date!)

Last edited:
I'm so far behind on my run posts. This week definitely got the best of me. Let's get caught up:

Thursday, July 15, 2021
This day was a hot one. I could've been a great example of the argument that "sweat proof" sunblock is inaccurate! :sunny:

START:
Weather Conditions: Sunny
Temp + Dew Point: 79 + 71 = 150
Feels Like: 83
Wind: ENE 3 mph
Humidity: 77%
Running Conditions Index: 6

END:
Temp + Dew Point: 81 + 71 = 152
Feels Like: 86
Wind: SSE 4 mph
Humidity: 72%
UV Index: 4
Running Conditions Index: 5

Started with a 10 min pre-run warm up on the Peloton app with Andy Speer before I left the house. This one was so different from other ones I've tried, and I enjoyed the variety.

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:36
Avg. Pace: 19'02"/mi

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Distance: 2.03 mi
Total Time: 0:29:39
Avg. Pace: 14'33"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'48"
2 = 14'14"
0.03 = 16'07"

(Intervals Pro)
Focus: Galloway Marathon Training - 30 min (2 miles @ 60/30 sec @ 14:00/17:00 paces)
Distance: 2.03 mi
Avg. Pace: 14'31"/mi
Intervals:
Run/Walk 1:
15:34/16:05
Run/Walk 2: 13:24/16:45
Run/Walk 3: 13:59/16:45
Run/Walk 4: 13:59/15:46
Run/Walk 5: 13:45/17:07
Run/Walk 6: 14:37/16:05
Run/Walk 7: 14:45/16:05
Run/Walk 8: 13:52/15:46
Run/Walk 9: 14:22/17:07
Run/Walk 10: 14:14/16:25
Run/Walk 11: 13:24/15:28
Run/Walk 12: 13:45/15:28
Run/Walk 13: 13:18/14:54
Run/Walk 14: 13:11/15:46
Run/Walk 15: 14:07/15:28
Run/Walk 16: 13:11/16:45
Run/Walk 17: 12:58/17:07
Run/Walk 18: 13:31/17:07
Run/Walk 19: 13:38/17:29
Run/Walk 20: 12:58/end

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:33
Avg. Pace: 19'02"/mi

Finished with a 5 min Post Run stretch.

Saturday, July 17, 2021
I overslept this morning, so I did my run in the evening. Luckily the long run only called for 2.5 miles, so it wasn't a big deal. It was hot, but that's just how it is on summer evenings!

START:
Temp + Dew Point: 80 + 75 = 155
Feels Like: 87
Wind: S 10 mph
Humidity: 83%
Running Conditions Index: 5

END:
Temp + Dew Point: 79 + 74 = 153
Feels Like: 85
Wind: S 9 mph
Humidity: 84%
Running Conditions Index: 6

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:14
Avg. Pace: 18'22"/mi

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Galloway Marathon Training - 2.5 miles (60/30 sec @ 14:00/17:00 paces)
Distance: 2.51 mi
Total Time: 0:35:42
Avg. Pace: 14'14"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'33"
2 = 14'03"
0.51 = 13'57"

(Intervals Pro)
Focus: Galloway Marathon Training - 2.5 miles (60/30 sec @ 14:00/17:00 paces)
Distance: 2.51 mi
Total Time: 0:35:43
Avg. Pace: 14'12"/mi
Intervals:
Run/Walk 1:
13:24/17:29
Run/Walk 2: 13:45/15:46
Run/Walk 3: 13:52/16:05
Run/Walk 4: 14:45/15:10
Run/Walk 5: 13:59/16:05
Run/Walk 6: 14:37/16:05
Run/Walk 7: 13:52/16:45
Run/Walk 8: 13:45/15:10
Run/Walk 9: 14:14/16:05
Run/Walk 10: 13:52/16:25
Run/Walk 11: 13:31/14:22
Run/Walk 12: 13:45/15:28
Run/Walk 13: 13:18/17:07
Run/Walk 14: 13:05/15:46
Run/Walk 15: 13:31/15:46
Run/Walk 16: 12:52/16:45
Run/Walk 17: 12:34/16:05
Run/Walk 18: 13:31/15:10
Run/Walk 19: 12:46/16:45
Run/Walk 20: 13:18/14:54
Run/Walk 21: 13:45/16:45
Run/Walk 22: 12:40/17:07
Run/Walk 23: 12:46/14:54
Run/Walk 24: 13:24/16:23

Outdoor Walk:
Total Time: 0:09:19
Avg. Pace: 18'30"/mi

Finished with a 5 min Post Run stretch.

Tuesday, July 20, 2021
Today I started my 3rd week of training (Galloway Beginner Marathon week 4). This day deserves it's own post because it was a bit of a train wreck. Just a reminder that there are good run days, and not so great run days.

Today was a very busy day. I had a lot of appointments, and I woke up exhausted. I knew I needed to run in the morning, but I also knew I didn't have a lot of time. I forgot to get in a pre-run warm up before leaving the house, and then by the time I got outside I realized didn't have time for my half mile walk before and after. Basically, I knew it would be rough from the start!

START:
Temp + Dew Point: 72 + 68 = 140
Wind: NW 4 mph
Humidity: 87%

END:
Temp + Dew Point: 75 + 68 = 143
Feels Like: 75
Wind: NW 4 mph
Humidity: 80%

So I started my run right away, and had a bit of a hard time. My arm was bothering me a bit, so I felt very uneven. It took me awhile to find my rhythm, but I knew I was out of my normal routine so I just kept moving my feet and reminding myself to just do what I could.

As I was running, I started to question if I started the Nike app. So I go back to check, and the intervals app turns off. >:( I forgot how temperamental those two apps are. If I don't start them in the right order, they don't work well together! So I had to restart the intervals, but I figured I'd just be able to listen to the mileage announcements and just stop when it announced 2 miles. Except, I got to the end and never heard 2 miles. So I kept running. After while I went back to the Nike app to see how close I was to 2 miles (which turned off the intervals app again), and of course I was over 2 miles. :confused: It was just one of those days lol.

Outdoor Run:
(Nike Run Club)
Focus:
Distance: 2.20 mi
Total Time: 0:32:39
Avg. Pace: 14'49"/mi
Splits:
1 =
14'35"
2 = 15'01"
0.20 = 15'00"

(Intervals Pro)
Focus: Galloway Marathon Training - 30 min (2 miles @ 60/30 sec @ 14:00/17:00 paces)
Distance: 1.48 mi
Total Time: 0:22:12
Avg. Pace: 14'57"/mi
Intervals:
Run/Walk 1:
14:36/19:37
Run/Walk 2: 14:07/16:05
Run/Walk 3: 14:07/15:10
Run/Walk 4: 13:59/21:10
Run/Walk 5: 13:52/16:25
Run/Walk 6: 14:14/15:46
Run/Walk 7: 13:52/17:29
Run/Walk 8: 14:14/16:05
Run/Walk 9: 14:14/16:05
Run/Walk 10: 13:11/18:17
Run/Walk 11: 14:07/16:05
Run/Walk 12: 14:37/16:05
Run/Walk 13: 14:29/17:07
Run/Walk 14: 14:29/16:25
Run/Walk 15: 15:28/13:24

I did get a quick 5 minute post-run stretch in afterwards. Not a great run, but I got it done.

Side note: This afternoon, I had an appointment with a new doctor and we briefly talked about running. She shared with me that she ran in the past and completed a local half marathon. She suggested I try it sometime, and I shared that I've done 2 half marathons in Disney. Her reaction? "Ohhhhh, Disney has nice medals!" :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter