Sourdough starter recipe?

TigH

<font color=red>WISH success story<br><font color=
Sorry if this has been asked before. Has anyone made their own sourdough starter?

I found a recipe that uses 2 cups of water, 2 1/4 tsp. yeast, and 2 cups of all purpose flour. It has to sit for 3 or 4 days before I can use it. Right now it just looks like a bubbly, soupy mess! Is this normal? :confused:

I want to make a loaf of sourdough bread later this week. Actually, I am hoping to make three small loafs that I can partially hollow out to use as soup bowls for potato and leek soup.

If you have a good sourdough starter recipe, please post it here. If you've made your own starter (or have seen what a proper starter should look like), can you let me know if what I have sounds right? Anyone have any luck making mini-loaves of sourdough bread?

Thanks!!!

Well, Tig, it's been a while since I've done this . . . but to the best of my recollection, the "soupy mess" sounds about right. Here's my recipe:

Sourdough Starter
1 Tbl yeast
2 c warm water
2 c flour

Dissolve yeast in water in a 1 1/2 - 2 qt glass jar. Let stand 10 min. Stir in flour. Cover with lid & let stand in warm place overnight or at room temp for 2 days. It will get bubbly & have a sour smell) Store in the frig. Use once a week.

Always save 1 c. Replace with equal flour & water. Always let it stand until it gets bubbly before stirring down & returning to frig.

While I never made mini loaves, I have recipes for & made the following: (so I assume the mini loaves will work fine!)
English Muffins
Bisquits
Herb Rolls
Bread
Quick Bread - No Kneading required
Cornbread

I also have a card in my recipe box that gives instructions on how to change any quick bread or yeast bread to sourdough . . .

Quick Bread:
change 2 c liquid to
1 c soudough plus 1 1/4 c liquid and 1 tsp baking soda
or
2 c sourdough plus 1/2 c liquid and 2 tsp baking soda

Yeast Bread:
change 3/4 liquid to
1 c sourdough (makes 2 loaves)
or omit yeast & make a sponge of sourdough, liquid (see conversions above) & 1/2 c flour. Let sit overnight. In AM add the rest of your ingredients & continue.

THANK-YOU, piratesmate!

So far, so good (I think). It is smelling sour, kind of like vinegar. I give it a stir every afternoon. I think it should be useable by tomororw (hopefully!) but I won't need it until Thursday.

It is still pretty soupy though. Is it supposed to get thicker? There are bubbles on the top, but just teenie ones (lots of them!) :)

Thanks for your recipe and for the conversions!!!! How do you make English muffins? I would like to try making them. :)

Sourdough English Muffins

1/2 c sourdough
1 c milk
2 3/4 c flour
1 Tbl brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
cornmeal

Combine sourdough, mailk & 2 c flour. Stir well, cover & let sit 8 - 12 hours. Combine 3/4 c flour, sugar, salt & soda. Add to sourdough sponge. Knead 3 min. Roll out 1/2" thick. Cut 3 to 4" circles. Put cornmeal on sheet place rounds on cornmeal. Let rise 45 min. Bake on a medium hot griddle 8 - 10 min per side.

As I remember, the "nooks & crannies" didn't compare to those in Thomas' muffins, but they were good. :D

I don't remember whether or not the sourdough was really soupy, but that sounds right.

Please let me know how you make out with it!

d

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter