• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest Airlines Question

Pan's Dad

Earning My Ears
this is our first time flying SWest and we have 2 families with 2 kids each and grandma going (total of 9). I understand that you get your seats based on first come first serve basis (i know that disabled and young kids get on first).

Obviously we are concerned that one of the children (ages 7-10) will be sitting alone if we get boarded later...

Has anyone had a similar experience? Do the stewardesses help out in these circumstances?

I want to be more Proacctive and would like to get there early so we can board earlier and increase our chances of sitting next to our children.

Question: HOW EARLY WOULD YOU RECOMMEND WE GET TO THE AIRPORT?

I know they state 2 hrs, 1 1/2 minimum....but I am wondering if we should get there 3 hrs beforehand??

ALSO, CAN JUST ONE PERSON FROM OUR PARTY OF NINE GO UP WITH ALL OUR PAPER TICKETS OR DO ALL HAVE TO BE IN LINE??

as a side note: we are flying nonstop from Albany NY Airport to Orlando
during Pres Week (Sat 2/16 returning sun 2/24)

thanks

3 hours is probably a little early! You want to be at the SW gate no later than 1.5 hours in advance. All adults need to be there with their IDs. I believe all adults will need to check in. Most people don't mind if Grandparents join the line just as they start checking in. However if you suddlenly have 8 people join you in line expect a riot! So just get them to stand in line.

The flight attendants on SW will not really rearrange passangers for you so you do want to be in the first group. As long as you are in the first 30 you should be fine. It just depends! I was number 70 on a flight Wed and still got an aisle seat with the center seat empty.

We've flown them many times. They will usually ask if someone could move so the children can sit w/parents. No problem, someone moves. Even if a few people get on early they can save seats for the rest of you up to a point before the plane starts getting full. They dont start giving out boarding passes until one hour before departure, but people line up before that waiting to get them, 20-30 minutes or so. Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter