Southwest Early Bird?

esilanna

Earning My Ears
Does anyone have experience with Southwest Airline's automated early check-in? For two people round-trip it would add about $60 to already over-priced tickets. I understand it's open seating, so I'm curious if anyone thinks it's worth it for 2 people. We would prefer to sit next to each other.

Check in at exactly 24 hours and you should have no issues sitting together. Obviously things can happen, but you're more likely to find seats together than not.

The only time I usually recommend it is when you're on a cruise 24 hrs before departure or are going to be somewhere with shady internet.

Or if you're inattentive to what time it is, like me, and don't want to end up in group C

Well, since you've said the fares are already overpriced, I think you have your answer. I'm not sure why you think that, but I'm sure you have your reasons. As far as sitting together, as long as you're in the B boarding group, you should be fine. The seats will be in the rear of the plane, but that's where I head to anyway!

Some folks buy it only for the return trip from WDW; there’s no requirement to buy it both ways.

We like it so we can sit together and don't have to worry about checking in 24 hours before. However, the couple times we haven't and checked in right at 24 hours, we've been able to sit together. I don't mind the extra money. SW is still cheapest for us including it.

We are a family of four and have never needed it to sit 2 and 2 in adjacent rows. We've even "forgot" to check in exactly at 24 hours and landed boarding numbers in the middle of the C group, and could still sit together.

I wouldn't worry about paying extra for Early Bird/

DH likes to buy it so we don't have to worry about checking in right at 24 hours, especially when we're coming home.

The perks for me are:
Knowing we'll all be able to sit together
Boarding before all the overhead bin space is taken
Now that DS is old enough, occasionally getting the emergency exit row (extra legroom)

However:
It's not even a 3-hour flight for us, so I would give it up if I needed to cut the budget somehow.
Also, we tend to fly on school vacation weeks, when there are a lot of pre-boarding families. You probably won't have a problem finding two seats together if you check in at a reasonable time.

We generally use it every time so I don’t have to remember to check in at 24 hours. Especially when I’m traveling as dhs companion and have a separate confirmation number. For me it’s really about laziness and convience, especially on the way back.

I *always* buy it for the way home. I would hate to forget to check in or have to stop what I am doing on my last day of vacation to try and get internet access so that I can check in and get a reasonable boarding position. I hate to be in the back of the plane so I prefer to board as soon as possible, but that's just me.

For the trip down, I guess it depends on when our flight is scheduled. If it's super early, then I might buy it just so I don't have to get up early to be online at T-24 to check in. Or, if I am going to be at work at the 24-hour mark, then I will definitely buy EBCI because there is no way to know if I will be able to check in at T-24 if I'm on the ambulance or on a call.

If you are OK with not sitting with your travel companion and sitting in a middle seat, then you do not need to worry about buying EBCI. The worst case scenario is a middle seat, away from your travelling companions. If you can handle that, save the money.

I have yet to fly Southwest without it. Had it in December and were in the A boarding group. Parents had it week before last for a trip to Colorado and were in A boarding group. I just added it to the upcoming Disney trip in a few weeks. I wasn't going to, but it's just so much easier. One less thing to have to think about.

I purchased for the first time this year because we are travelling during a holiday week. For early bird veterans.. Do I check in as I normally would to print boarding passes?

I purchased for the first time this year because we are travelling during a holiday week. For early bird veterans.. Do I check in as I normally would to print boarding passes?
Yes. At 24 hours or less from departure, you can go through the "check in" process to see what boarding position you were assigned and print your boarding passes. It seems counter intuitive to click the "check in" button when EBCI already checked you in automatically at 36 hours out, but that's what you need to do to view and print the boarding passes.

Besides checking in at home, you can also wait til you get to be airport & print your tickets there. Last trip I went thru the check in process at about 20 hours to see what boarding positions we got but waited til we got to the airport & just printed our boarding passes there.

They have new self serve kiosks at our airport & at MCO. Not sure if every city has them now. They are really easy to use. You can print your boarding pass & the label for your luggage & apply it yourself. Then you just drop your luggage at the counter & go.

DH and I always get it. Hassell free boarding and we don't have to worry about checking in to get a good space in the boarding que. Besides that...almost always our flight is completely booked. $60 when you are headed to an already expensive destination is just a drop in the bucket. It is just so convenient.

I use it for our return trip from WDW, so that I don't have to worry about it while we are out enjoying vacation.

Doesn't stop people from seat saving before you get on, but it puts you in a better position regardless.

We ALWAYS use the SW skycaps too to check in at MCO. On our trip in May with EBCI, from New Orleans, full flight, early 5:00a.m. we were glad to have it and got to sit in first row with extra leg room. On way home, DH and I sat in exit row and had extra leg room. So we think it is worth it.

Besides checking in at home, you can also wait til you get to be airport & print your tickets there. Last trip I went thru the check in process at about 20 hours to see what boarding positions we got but waited til we got to the airport & just printed our boarding passes there.
Good point about printing the boarding passes at the airport.

They have new self serve kiosks at our airport & at MCO. Not sure if every city has them now. They are really easy to use. You can print your boarding pass & the label for your luggage & apply it yourself. Then you just drop your luggage at the counter & go.
We ran into the new kiosks this spring. We walked up to a kiosk to print boarding passes and were surprised when the kiosk also printed our luggage tags. There was a helpful Southwest employee in the kiosk area showing people how to attach the tags.

On our return trip, MDW also had the new kiosks. The line to drop off bags was moving very slowly because families were handing over the luggage and a handful of tags at the counter, not realizing they were supposed to put the tags on the bags themselves. Nobody from Southwest was helping anyone attach the tags, though there was someone walking the line shouting "People, attach your luggage tags before you get to the counter!" but it was hard to hear her. The few people who could hear her were totally confused about what to do and nobody from Southwest was helping anyone. DH and I ended up helping the people around us in line.

Yes. At 24 hours or less from departure, you can go through the "check in" process to see what boarding position you were assigned and print your boarding passes. It seems counter intuitive to click the "check in" button when EBCI already checked you in automatically at 36 hours out, but that's what you need to do to view and print the boarding passes.
Thank you!

Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter