space mountain for a 7 yo, UPDATE she loved it!

tjmw2727

DIS Veteran
Hi all -

My 7yo is very excited to ride, but also leary of, space mountain next trip. At 46" she meets the height requirement and has ridden every type of roller coaster she is tall enough for and (so far) loved them all. The only thing that worries her (and me a bit) is the seating - she is used to being next to me or dh. Who has done this ride with a younger child and how did they fare with the individual seating on this ride? Should we wait a year or two or should I let her go for it?

TIA
TJ

My now 7 yo DS rode Space Mountain at 5. He too has ridden pretty much everything, and thinks Space is tame compared to RnRC (it is).

He had no problem with the seating. On his first ride my DH rode in the car behind him and talked to him throughout the ride. If your DD wants to try it, go for it!

She really wants to try it so I guess we will. What is the height requirement for RNrC? I love that ride but don't think dd is ready ....YET!!

TJ

RnRC height requirement is 48". DD rode a couple of months after her 7th BD. She assumed she was too short and was measuring herself against the stick to see how much she needed to grow. Two older lady CM's were watching her and told her she was big enough and off she went! She has been on it least twice a trip ever since:)

space mountain height requirement is now 44".
My 5 year old is just barely tall enough, on the fast pass, she wasn't tall enough but the stand by she was!!!

The first time we rode it I held her in the whole ride, but she was ok. The 2nd time we went on, I didn't hold her! She still stayed in fine, LOL!!!
But she is very tiny only 40 pounds of fluff, so I was worrued.

My 7 year old went on it for first time in September. She was leery but really wanted to try it. She sat behind me, because neither kids wanted the front seat, I got that honor. You could always sit her in front of you. If she wants to try it, go ahead and let her, I bet she will love it. My daughter did and rode it several more times.

My 8 yo loves coasters and says that SM is quite tame in comparison to other coasters. It also wasn't quite as dark as I remember it from Disneyland. There are lots of planets and stars that zoom by. DD has done both A and B lines and says that they are both fun. She still prefers BTMRR and can't wait to do RnR! (Me either)

:earsgirl:

My 6 yr. old daughter rode both RnR coaster and Space Mountain. She loves them both! She is 48" tall and very thin. I was a little worried about her riding alone on Space Mountain, but the restraints were fine. I sat in the seat behind her. I thought that Space Mnt. was much "jerkier" and "rougher" than the RnR.

My almost-5 y.o. daughter was determined to ride it. We rode through the People Mover (can't think of what it's called now) twice before we'd let her try it. She absolutely hated it. I sat in front of her and my husband was behind her. Besides the fact that no parent was beside her, I think it was the darkness that got her. She kept begging to get off. I felt so bad for her. Now when she sees it on a video, she calls it the ride Daddy MADE her go on. You just never know. Your daughter may love it.

I rode space mountain last month with my 7 year old daughter and two 5 year old daughters. One of the 5 year olds didn't like it (said she felt like she was going to fly out) the other who is a bit more of a dare devil loved it and the 7 year old, just didn't like that it was in the dark. But the all loved Big Thunder Mountain (rode it half a dozen times in two days):earsboy:

and the encouragement! My daughter rode three times this trip and loved Space Mountain. Now all she has to do is grow 2 inches to hit that 48" mark as she has set her sights on RnRc!

TJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter