• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

special assistance card at all parks?

kimba

Mouseketeer
I was wondering how the special assistance card works and if it is available at all the theme parks. We are going 3/31 for a week and with it being crowded we may need to use the special assistance card for my son who has autism. He normally waits in lines well but during this time he may have more overload. Does Animal Kingdom let you use it for the shows? He loves Tarzan and Lion King so I definitely want him to see those shows. Can you use it at all MK attractions or only some? Thanks!

We jsut got back from a trip where my mother had a guest assistance pass. It is good at all parks and one pass is good for the length of your stay. Show your pass to the first cast member you see for any attraction and ask what you need to do. Even during the busiest week of the year, we found them to be very helpful and considerate!

Welcome to disABILITIES.:wave2:

At WDW, the card is called a Guest Assistance Card. You go to Guest Services in any of the parks and explain your needs. The card is usually issued for up to 6 people (5 plus the person with the disability), issued for your entire length of stay and the same card is used in all parks.
Because of school, we have been going to WDW the last 6 years of so at Spring break. It is busy, but with using fastpass, and avoiding rides with long lines, we usually have not needed to use our GAC more than once or twice a day. many of the rides with long lines in the morning will have shorter (or non-existant) lines later in the day. A lot of people go in line for the first ride they see (like Spaceship Earth at Epcot). If you venture farther into the parks before getting in line, you will often find things without a wait at all. Go back later in the day and you will often find the same ride that was a 1 hour wait in the morning is a "walk right on" in the afternoon.
Tarzan and Lion King have huge auditoriums, so you should not have a problem getting into either of them. Both of them start seating quite a bit before the show. If you need to sit somewhere special (like at the end of a row) or need to wait for a while where the flow of traffic is not around you), show your GAC and ask the first CM that you see.

My family uses a pass each trip as my brother has Down Syndrome and cannot stand in the lines so we have it so he can remain in his stroller. As stated previously, we alos have had many times when we simply don't use it. We can walk up or simply have a few minute wait. And fast pass has worked well for us as well. It is however wonderful for longer waits as he is able to remain seated as we wait. Enjoy your tip!

Your post sounds as if I wrote it myself!! My 6 yr old son has Autism as well and we just got back from WDW (Xmas/New years weeks). The very first park you go to, go right to Guest Services and explain the situation. We took a doctor letter with us and they made a Xerox.
The card is appx 4x6 and is red and white and will have your stay dates and the name of the person that issued it. Its good fo ALL WDW parks.

It REALLY helped at almost all of the rides/attractions. Most of the time, they let us thru the FASTPASS line; other times, they put us in the handicapped line, depending on where you are.

GOOD LUCK and have a ball!!!!!

Steve

My 3 year old has autism and I use the card every time we go. I keep the old one and just get it renewed at each new visit. It is so wonderful. My son can't handle more than 3-4 hours in a park at a time before he gets overloaded. That card helps us save time and is worth a million bucks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter