Special cupcake allergy list?

DeeBee3

I'm not grumpy; you're too happy.
Trying to find out what special 50th anniversary items my daughter may be able to eat when we go in April. In the past we just looked at the binder they provide or talk to someone. However, being that they are special items and at QS locations - is there no chance she could eat something? Thinking the special cupcakes or something dessert-like.

She is peanut/tree nut.

You're likely going to have to ask when you get there.
Part of that is because "peanut/tree nut free" means very different things to different people. To some people that means there are not peanuts and tree nuts directly in that food item, to others it means that they have made things in a kitchen where nothing has ever involved peanuts or tree nuts. If you are in the latter camp, It's probably easier to assume that somewhere along the line there is some vague chance of cross contact. We go strictly by ingredient lists, but my son's other allergens usually rule out anything special.

I've been going to WDW for 17+ years with one of my kids who has peanut/treenut/shellfish allergies and I cannot think of a time that he's been able to eat a special treat item like that. He can eat "made in a facility" but most things are "may contain" which he can't do. We've had the best luck at TS restaurants but it really varies with the chef.

There used to be a bakery in Disney Springs that had some things he could eat - not sure if that is still there.

Yes, there still is Erin McKenna's Bakery in Disney Springs.

Everything is vegan and free of refined sugar, gluten and soy, besides dairy and eggs, of course. Not sure about nuts but suspect they may not use any since other major allergens are covered.

Info here, including a photo of a 50th Anniv. cupcake: https://mickeyblog.com/2021/11/17/5-things-to-know-about-erin-mckennas-bakery/

To be honest, even though gluten and dairy intolerant, I've never bought anything here. They sell out soon after opening and had very little variety when we stopped in.

It's also gotten somewhat mixed reviews but would at least be safe since a dedicated bakery.

I agree that special 50th treats are usually unsafe because made in the same facility. Our best luck with peanut/ tree nut safe items have been at TS also . Cape May buffet (pre-pandemic) used to have all desserts that were safe for my son with the exception of one . They made them all in house . BOG also made desserts in house and my son could have the grey stuff cupcake . The dessert party for HAPPILY EVER AFTER used to be mainly safe with the exception of macarons and ooey gooey toffee cake . Now I’m not sure what is safe . I think they are outsourcing more items . You will have to check when you are there . When you write to special diets they give you a generic answer and never any detail about any item .If the menu has an allergy menu and the item you want isn’t on it for peanut/tree nut allergies then it’s not safe . Our standbys are dole whip and Mickey ice cream sandwiches. Good luck ! Have a great trip !

Yes, there still is Erin McKenna's Bakery in Disney Springs.

Everything is vegan and free of refined sugar, gluten and soy, besides dairy and eggs, of course. Not sure about nuts but suspect they may not use any since other major allergens are covered.
To be honest, even though gluten and dairy intolerant, I've never bought anything here. They sell out soon after opening and had very little variety when we stopped in.

It's also gotten somewhat mixed reviews but would at least be safe since a dedicated bakery.

This is great to know since I have a dairy allergy! Always looking where I can get something sweet.

Thanks, everyone!

p.s. Erin McKenna's is still there, but unforunately, it is not good for peanut allergies.

Thanks, everyone!

p.s. Erin McKenna's is still there, but unforunately, it is not good for peanut allergies.
Erin McKenna's is completely peanut free and always has been.
The brand of flour they use processes some tree nuts in the facility, but they do clean everything and dispose of the first 40 lb of flour made on the same equipment before processing the flour that is used at Erin McKenna's.

Erin McKenna's is completely peanut free and always has been.
The brand of flour they use processes some tree nuts in the facility, but they do clean everything and dispose of the first 40 lb of flour made on the same equipment before processing the flour that is used at Erin McKenna's.

I remember buying something there for us all to try on a trip in 2019. My son can eat "made in a facility" so it must have passed the test for us. I agree with the previous poster who said the selection in the evening wasn't the best. I don't remember what I got but it was enough for all 3 of us to try some and it was just "ok" (it wasn't gluten free I don't think which is sometimes an acquired taste for those not used to gluten free flours).

Pre-pandemic we had the best desserts at Chef Mickeys - chef cleared almost everything for him there. I agree with BOG was also good. Unfortunately you just won't know if the desserts are safe until you show up - and even then you can get wildly different opinions depending on the chef.

BTW, Raglan Road in DtD is the only place in or outside of Disney that has ever served my son food with nuts in it after telling me it was nut free - and even trying to claim it wasn't a nut but an oat after I called them back to the table to ask... finally admitting it was almonds. Management was awful.

McKenna's is not nut free (I misspoke when I said peanut), but I suppose it depends on how strict you are with "made in a facility" or shares equipment. We do not eat anything "made in a facility with." That is peanut or tree nut for us. I just don't want anyone to be confused.

From their website: "Although we don’t bake with nuts aside from coconut, our Bob’s red Mill flour is produced in a facility that processes almonds, cashews, macadamia nuts, soy, sesame seeds and hazelnuts. See note from Bob about cross contamination information!"

So, since our daughter is so young, we just stay away from anything even if they clean the machines. We probably would try it if we were at home, but wouldn't risk it on vacation.

The baked goods are made in the same facility with items that have at least tree nut if not also peanut and there is therefore risk of CC.

The Contempo Cafe at Contemporary Resort has allergy-friendly cupcakes that you can request that are IIRC top-8 free (always check!!). I believe they use Namaste mix, but always check. They keep them already made in the back in the fridge or freezer, so they have to be asked for. Plain vanilla or chocolate with icing. I had one of them during our last trip -- nothing spectacular, but it is pretty awesome to be able to get a cupcake from a restaurant when you have food allergies, when normally that is not an option :-) I am ana milk, pn, tn, fish, shellfish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter