Spinoff thread: American and Italian culture Q and A thread.

Italians, what are some common recipes that you eat during work days that you would recommend Americans should try that most likely are not well known here?

Do grade/educational levels follow a similar style to American or British models? We have nursery school (Pre-K and Kindergarten), then elementary school (grades 1-6), junior high school (grades 7 and 8), high school (grades 9-12), and then college/university or trade school/apprenticeship/workforce.
Uh, this is complicated! We have pretty much the same system, but we just don't count all the grades together. We have 1-5 elementary, 1-3 middle school, 1-5 highschool (1 year longer than you). Every time I hear "7th grade", my head explodes and I need to take a moment to run all the calculations 😅
Is your husband from the Northern, Southern, Midwestern, or Western part of the USA?
My husband is originally from Maryland, and we are happy to be able to visit quite regularly. DC and Annapolis are some of my favorite places on the planet - of course except the Disney theme parks!
I'm curious, how did you find the the Disboards in the first place?
Well, I was already living abroad when I got into the Disney Parks, and in general, I find US content much more valuable - although a good friend of mine is #1 Disney Park expert in Italy! I guess I stumbled upon the Disboard back when I was planning one of my previous trips, and I liked it here :)

Also, what sports are popular in Italy besides Calcio?
Not sure if you'd call it a sport, but I'd put Formula 1 definitely in second place after Calcio.
We had the Italian Grand Prix just yesterday, and I think literally EVERYONE watched.
Italians, what are some common recipes that you eat during work days that you would recommend Americans should try that most likely are not well known here?
Fun fact: my husband got so good at cooking Italian food, that I gave up the task 😅
To be honest, Italian food always requires some prep and there are not that many quick recipes that are truly classics. But there are sauces and dishes that you can make in batches and will be great. Thinking about pesto Genovese, for example, is so good and so easy to make, and it's a great pasta sauce (but also salad dressing!). Risotto is also fairly easy and you can make it with literally any ingredient you have at home.

Uh, this is complicated! We have pretty much the same system, but we just don't count all the grades together. We have 1-5 elementary, 1-3 middle school, 1-5 highschool (1 year longer than you). Every time I hear "7th grade", my head explodes and I need to take a moment to run all the calculations 😅
Thanks for answering. Is University 3 years or 4 and do you have a national entrance exam like the British or just an assessment exam like our SAT/ACT?

My husband is originally from Maryland, and we are happy to be able to visit quite regularly. DC and Annapolis are some of my favorite places on the planet - of course except the Disney theme parks!
That's really cool. Maryland is a really awsome place to visit.

Well, I was already living abroad when I got into the Disney Parks, and in general, I find US content much more valuable - although a good friend of mine is #1 Disney Park expert in Italy! I guess I stumbled upon the Disboard back when I was planning one of my previous trips, and I liked it here :)
I'm glad you found the website. Would you add anything to the EPCOT Italian pavilion if you could?

Not sure if you'd call it a sport, but I'd put Formula 1 definitely in second place after Calcio.
We had the Italian Grand Prix just yesterday, and I think literally EVERYONE watched.
Lots of people watched it here too.

Fun fact: my husband got so good at cooking Italian food, that I gave up the task 😅
To be honest, Italian food always requires some prep and there are not that many quick recipes that are truly classics. But there are sauces and dishes that you can make in batches and will be great. Thinking about pesto Genovese, for example, is so good and so easy to make, and it's a great pasta sauce (but also salad dressing!). Risotto is also fairly easy and you can make it with literally any ingredient you have at home.
A non Italian getting a compliment about cooking Italian food from a born and raised Italian? I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked. 😲🤣 In all honesty, that's really cool how you described you and spouse really appreciating both of each other's cultures and traditions. Do you learn about American history in Italy growing up or is it generally glossed over like in England?

Is University 3 years or 4 and do you have a national entrance exam like the British or just an assessment exam like our SAT/ACT?
University is 3 years for a Bachelor's + 2 for a Master's.
High school finals are not that important, really, and entrance exams are based on the University course you choose. We don't have majors and minors: you just pick your course of studies and you stick with it (e.g. classical literature, medicine, economics, political sciences). Courses in the medical fields generally have entrance tests, where your high school score might or might not be kept into consideration, but small experimental courses might require entrance as well. It really depends on the University.

One thing I forgot to mention about school that always baffled me, growing up watching American movies: you start every school (take high school) with a set amount of classmates (generally between 18 and 22) and you stick with them throughout the whole year and course of studies (unless someone is asked to repeat the year). Every classmate has the same schedule, and sometimes literally the same desk to sit at, while the teachers rotate classes. You could literally have the same deskmate every day for five years! Oh, and we don't have lockers or cafeterias, as we're usually done with school by lunch.
@valval , are you a sports fan and if so do you enjoy American sports as well?
I went to my first baseball game in the US and I loved it! I went to an American Football game as well (and tried to watch it on TV), but it's too intense and there are way too many people involved 😅
Do you learn about American history in Italy growing up or is it generally glossed over like in England?
Barely anything about American History, as far as I remember, as European History is already quite a lot. There's also a general misconception that you guys don't have that much history to start with, which I know is totally false. I find American history really fascinating and I made a point to learn as much as possible about it.

University is 3 years for a Bachelor's + 2 for a Master's.
High school finals are not that important, really, and entrance exams are based on the University course you choose. We don't have majors and minors: you just pick your course of studies and you stick with it (e.g. classical literature, medicine, economics, political sciences). Courses in the medical fields generally have entrance tests, where your high school score might or might not be kept into consideration, but small experimental courses might require entrance as well. It really depends on the University.
Interesting. 🤔
One thing I forgot to mention about school that always baffled me, growing up watching American movies: you start every school (take high school) with a set amount of classmates (generally between 18 and 22) and you stick with them throughout the whole year and course of studies (unless someone is asked to repeat the year).
Each state has a different standard for educational requirements. NY has different requirements to AL for example. Classes are different for each student as they vary on electives you can take and higher courses determined by your intelligence level based on grades earned. High School Musical and Clueless are poor examples of actual school life.

Every classmate has the same schedule, and sometimes literally the same desk to sit at, while the teachers rotate classes. You could literally have the same deskmate every day for five years!
This is actually not true for most schools and is just a cheap way Hollywood portrays school life to save money on sets. Unless you live in a small village, it is almost unheard of in my experience.

Oh, and we don't have lockers or cafeterias, as we're usually done with school by lunch.
When does it start and end? School here starts at 7:30am or 8:30am and ends at 1:30pm or 2:30pm. Lunch is between 10:45am to 1:45pm depending on your assigned lunch period or study hall.
Do you have gym class as well?

I went to my first baseball game in the US and I loved it! I went to an American Football game as well (and tried to watch it on TV), but it's too intense and there are way too many people involved 😅
I'm glad you enjoy baseball and this might help you understand American football better:

Do you enjoy soccer too?
Barely anything about American History, as far as I remember, as European History is already quite a lot. There's also a general misconception that you guys don't have that much history to start with, which I know is totally false. I find American history really fascinating and I made a point to learn as much as possible about it.
I figured. You might enjoy the kids cartoon Liberty's Kids on YouTube (the company that made the series I believe has uploaded the entire series).

It summerizes America's colonial period pretty well and you may enjoy AMC's Turn which covers the first American spy ring. Many of Europe's colonial wars directly affected us going back to Christopher Columbus (even though Leif Erickson was the first European to make contact with Native Americans/First People of Canada). Not to mention countless Native American tribes with 10,000 plus years of history themselves. I would be happy to recommend some great documentaries to you. Just mention what kind of history of North America you are looking to learn about. 😃

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_colonization_of_the_Americas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_and_Indian_Wars

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Revolution

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_history_of_the_United_States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_United_States

@MamaMermaid is a history teacher so she could probably recommend some great resources on American history too.

Last edited:
By the way @valval , since you said you are married to an American citizen (I don't know if you have US citizenship) I consider you a part of the American melting pot. :-)

@valval is there an American recipe you really enjoy or that you always wanted to try?
Carrot cake (with cream cheese icing) is something we don't have here, and I learned the recipe pretty well - even my Italian neighbors appreciate it, now! Pumpkin pie was also a nice discovery, as well as cornbread, lobster rolls, crab cakes, and a lot more. Things I never tried that come to mind are corndogs, tater tots, and most of the food from the South.

A question from my side: As I will be in WDW again soon: what are the food items that I should definitely try? Something either typical American (or typical Disney).

A question from my side: As I will be in WDW again soon: what are the food items that I should definitely try? Something either typical American (or typical Disney).
Well, BBQ comes to mind, as EPCOT now has a new BBQ pit at the American pavilion. Other suggestions: Hot dogs, french fries, cheeseburgers, mac and cheese, apple pie, American style pancakes, turkey legs, gumbo....just to name a few.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/american-food-dishes/index.html

https://allears.net/dining/menu/search/american/all/all/all/

Last edited:
Do you like particular types of fish or meats? Or do like more vegetarian style foods? I ask because Disney now has a great mix of restaurants that do great for both. Garden Grill is a favorite of mine because not only is the food great but it does give you a sense of American agriculture based cuisine. Whispering Canyon is typical Midwestern Americans cuisine. Boatwright's Dining Hall has typical Southern cuisine for example. Tater tots and pot roast can be found in Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios I believe. Corn dogs I believe you can get in Fatasyland. 50's Prime Time would be a great place for classic American cuisine. Nothing is more American to me than a PB and J sandwich (I'm currently eating one 😋), I hope some of the suggestions help. :-)Also American food is often thought of as only deep fried or unhealthy. That really isn't true as most of us don't eat cheeseburgers and hot dogs every day. Many of us eat or try to eat healthy as much as our budgets allow (junk food is typically cheaper than healthier options ironically). A typical lunch at work is a brown bagged lunch consisting of a deli sandwich, some fruit, maybe some veggies or small salad, a bag of chips/crisps or a cookie, and a soft drink/water. If you research the history of American cuisine, you will see how it has evolved from colonial times to modern day due to the great American melting pot. You said your husband is from Maryland. Has he mentioned any typical American cuisine from the Northeast of the USA? New England or New York clam chowder, cheddar bay biscuits, NY black and white cookies, popcorn shrimp just to name a few things. I classify most typical thought of southern cuisine as carnival foods. Every state in the USA has a state fair every year (some counties too) and that is where regional food is shown at its finest. Does Italy do carnivals/state fairs as well?

Last edited:
If you are going around the holiday season, I would recommend Liberty Tree Tavern. Skipper's Canteen is also a favorite of mine.

Last edited:
@valval , do you get many American made tv programs or sports on television in Italy? So can you watch MLB or NFL in Italy? Also, I hope you don't mind me asking you so many questions. You are the only Italian Disboarder to respond so far but I hope I'm not annoying you with my questions or answers. :thanks:🙏

@valval - for the Christmas holidays, does your family do the Feast of the 7 Fishes? Was wondering if that was an old school Italian tradition brought to America and does it exist in Italy?

@valval - for the Christmas holidays, does your family do the Feast of the 7 Fishes? Was wondering if that was an old school Italian tradition brought to America and does it exist in Italy?
My Italian American friends said that in Italy it's 12 dishes for the 12 apostles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter