• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Split stay logistics...

It is super simple. Our last split was from CBR to SSR. We called the evening before to arrange bell services for luggage pick up for 7am. They were prompt, picked up all our luggage and we were on our way. We went to a park and then intended on going to SSR in the afternoon, but didn't end up arriving until after 9pm. Of course at that point our luggage was already there and in storage. Once at SSR they gathered our bags loaded them up on a gold cart and took us to our building. The change over day could be a relaxing day where you just check out later, 11am and then go to Disney springs or off to a park and then to your new resort in the later afternoon. I am not sure what the guaranteed time is that your luggage would be at the new resort, but i would imagine it should be around check in time (dependent upon what time you send off your bags).

i think the only time a split would be difficult would be if you had little kids that needed the room for an afternoon nap, even with that if they can nap in a stroller then it shouldn't be any inconvenience. The only main point to keep in mind is that you need to keep essentials with you.

Our upcoming trip we are going from Poly to AKV -- we have planned AK park so that we are close if we get the room ready text. So you can try to plan your park days so that you are somewhat close to your new resort, but it isn't essential.
Thanks! We will be moving 2 times.. crazy I know.. but from CRB to BRV to poly!! Youngest is 6 so we should be fine! Thanks so much for explaining your experience!!

Also, if you are on the Dining Plan you will need to use 2 separate Dining Plans for the 2 reservations. And in order for the 2nd Dining Plan to kick in, you have to use up all the Dining Credits and Snack Credits on the first Dining Plan.

We found this out the hard way and had to buy 20 bottles of water...........
oh no!! we are not doing the dining plan so that is not an issue!!!

Like others have said, we treat it like 2 stays. We pick the 2 parks that are the most convenient for 1/2 the split, then 2 for the other. For example, we've done the AKL/BCV split several times. From AKL we do AK and MK, then from BCV, we do Epcot and DHS. On "switch-over" day, we usually go to the park of the new resort, then take the bus/boat back to our new resort and to our room.
sounds wonderful! great plan!!

Just bring some ones to tip bell services. We tip $1 per bag when they pick up our luggage on check out day from hotel room 1, and pay $1 per bag again when we call to get our luggage brought to hotel room 2 later that day.

We live split stays and sometimes do 3 hotels. We are staying 15 nights in October and doing 3 at the dolphin, 8 at Poly dvc and 4 tbd. Luggage transfer is super easy, like others said, just call bell services, someone comes maybe 20 min later (or call the night before for a specific time), and they mark all your tags for your new resort and give you a slip. Well, slightly different process from dolphin to Disney owned resorts, but in general this is how it works.

We usually swing by the front desk to check out of hotel 1 and we make sure we have done online check in for both or all stays so our credit cards are linked to our magic bands. We also usually carry a wallet because we use our Disney credit card discount, dvc member card, annual pass discount, and picture IDs often. Any kinks in the transition and we use our credit card until we get to hotel 2 and just swing by the front desk there.

We have annual passes, so no need to have package tickets for us, but as long as you have tickets connected for your 1st leg of the trip that last the length of your stay, no need to worry about getting into the parks between visits.

We also never get a dining plan, so no advice there.

We try to plan our transfer day so that we end up easily getting to our new hotel. For example, when we check out of the dolphin we will do Epcot for a bit, then take the monorail to Poly that night.

We did our first split stay last year. The transfer went smoothly except we made one big newbie mistake. We had all attached our credit cards to our magic bands at the first hotel and didn't realize we would have to do this again at the second hotel. We ended up at Blizzard Beach with no way to pay for our lunch. The supervisor was really nice and tried calling to fix this for us, but when this didn't work she let us go without paying. Major Pixie Dust!! :-) We won't make that mistake this year!
oh wow! Great point!! I will need to make sure and set that up.. thanks so much!

Just treat it like 2 different stays, with the added benefit Disney will transfer your luggage for you, but you do have to ask i.e. don’t assume that they will collect it automatically.

On the day you check out, phone bell services and ask them to transfer your luggage. They will want to know how many items you have and inform you that you must be in the room when they collect it (for tipping no doubt ).

They will ask you where the luggage is going and inform you that when you check in to the new resort to phone bell services. Again you need to be in room for when they deliver. It doesn’t usually take long, 20 mins say.

One tip is to put any items needing refrigerated in a separate bag and they will chill it for you.
Thanks so much! great tips and advice!!

Great split-stay tips here! We have our first ever DVC stay coming up in June, which is a split stay (since we pieced together a trip in February we were happy to get ANYTHING on such short notice). We're doing 3 resorts over a week (3 nights at SSR, 2 nights at Poly and 2 nights at AKL). I see a lot of posts about going to Disney springs or to a park on your "change" day. My thoughts were on the day we're moving from SSR to Poly to move with our luggage (likely a minnie van) over to Poly, drop it off there, check-in early (even though we don't expect our room to be even remotely ready) and hang poolside at the Poly for the day. Will this be possible? Can we use the pool at the Poly on the date we check in before our room is ready?

We've done split stays to and from all three levels of resorts and it's been the same process for all of them. We drop off our luggage with Bell Services and ask them to transfer it to our new resort. They tell us it will be after about 3pm when our luggage will be at the new resort and give us a claim ticket for our bags. When we get to our new resort, later in the day, to check in, I go start the check-in process and DH goes to Bell Services to collect our bags. He usually has the bags before I'm finished with check-in.

One of the reasons I really like split stays is because it almost feels like two separate vacations because we choose resorts that are very different from each other.

Have a great trip!

Hi...thanks for all the great info here.

We are planning a 4 week stay as annual passholders during 2019 with approx a week at 4 different resorts. It was mentioned above that with FP that you can book for all of the days from 60 day mark for length of stay...but does anyone know if this is also the case for annual passholders. I read somewhere that the most that can be booked is 10 days...and that extra days would have to be booked later at their 60 day mark.

Scondly, when arriving to the 2nd resort, do the bell hoppers bring the luggage to your room or do we collect it from them upon check-in....we are going to have 6 luggage bags and 4 or so carry on bags...so really hoping they can bring it to the room

Thirdly, just to confirm...with regards to dining reservations...so we can only book 180 days out for each resort booking?

Thanks for any info you may have...so looking forward to trying out so many different resorts during our stay

Hi...thanks for all the great info here.

We are planning a 4 week stay as annual passholders during 2019 with approx a week at 4 different resorts. It was mentioned above that with FP that you can book for all of the days from 60 day mark for length of stay...but does anyone know if this is also the case for annual passholders. I read somewhere that the most that can be booked is 10 days...and that extra days would have to be booked later at their 60 day mark.

Sounds great!! I think you can book fastpasses for up to 14 days with an AP when you have an onsite reservation.

We used a Minnie van to make the move. With 2 kids in car seats and all of our luggage it was tight fit.

For the future, depending on the group and the day’s plans, one could have one adult go with the bags in the van or taxi etc, while the rest of the party continues on with the day’s plans using Disney transportation.

My thoughts were on the day we're moving from SSR to Poly to move with our luggage (likely a minnie van) over to Poly, drop it off there, check-in early (even though we don't expect our room to be even remotely ready) and hang poolside at the Poly for the day. Will this be possible? Can we use the pool at the Poly on the date we check in before our room is ready?

Yes you can do that.

Scondly, when arriving to the 2nd resort, do the bell hoppers bring the luggage to your room or do we collect it from them upon check-in....we are going to have 6 luggage bags and 4 or so carry on bags...so really hoping they can bring it to the room

You get to the room, call, and they bring it to you.

My DH and I are doing are first "planned" split stay in September. 3 resorts, 3 nights each. There have been times we've pieced together a stay and have to move since we planned too late to get the entire stay at one resort. But this time we planned 3 nights at each of 3 resorts. We will have our own car, so I don't know if we'll have Disney transfer our luggage or just do it ourselves. Not sure what we'll do on our moving days - DH likes to do parks until noonish and then come back to the resort for a while, afraid that will be an issue while we wait to get in our new room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter