Sports Drinks for Diabetics?

msr709

DISfan forever
Does anyone know of any? I've been reading how these sports drinks restore your electrolyts [sp?] and was wondering if there is a sugar-free one for diabetics? Since I'm going in July and I know the heat can be overwhelming, was wondering about the sports drinks but the ones I've seen are high in sugar. Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA :cool1: :wave2:

My husband a type 1 Diabetic drinks Smart Water. It can be tough to find, I know that Kroger and Trader Joes has it. He uses this water and adds the Crystal Light single packets to it.

Also, in a book, entitled The Diabetes Solution written by Richard Berstein, MD (also a type 1 diabetic), there is a recipe for making a water solution that replaces electrolytes.

And wow electrolyte replacement is soooooo important. Last May my husband was helping my father roof his house and he was drinking lots of water, but not replacing electrolytes. He ended up in hospital special care with DKA.

He has a pump, but since he was essentially dehydrated none of the insulin was being absorbed, so even though he was increasing his dosage his body wasn't getting the insulin. Had to get insulin from IV.

Thank you Heather for your response. I'm in NYC and I'm going to Barnes & Noble at lunch time to look up that book. I'd love to see that recipe! Also, you mentioned Crystal Light, does that also work? I know where to find that easily. Thanks again. :moped:

Crystal Light does nothing except to make it taste better. Be careful with it though as some people have adverse reactions to the aspartame(nutrasweet) in Crystal Light

Talking Hands said:
Crystal Light does nothing except to make it taste better. Be careful with it though as some people have adverse reactions to the aspartame(nutrasweet) in Crystal Light

Thanks Talking Hands, I didn't know about aspartame being Crystal Light, I don't need my water to taste good, I just want to replace the lost electrolytes without sugar. Thanks again. :cool1:

The powered forms of Crystal Lite are aspatame. The bottled ones are Splenda. Wish they would reformulate the powder with Splenda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter