Spouse/SO

Great... I guess. I just celebrated my 30th wedding anniversary....I've never felt the need to broadcast my success. I've read some of your multiple threads about work and other things where you don't seem that happy. You posted a thread about how you just worked for vacation and you worked opposite your spouse and you were not happy I'm glad you're happy now...if that's really how you feel.
IMG_3698.jpeg

I read these sweet stories....mine was a David Allen Coe song...I was drunk the day my mom got outta prison...we met at a country bar, he came with another girl, left with me. And hasn't left my side since. I own it and love it and am proud of it. We've raised two kids, have a granddaughter and another on the way. We've hit the lowest of lows, but had the highest of highs. I love this man with every ounce of me and yes, I will shout his attributes to the world!!

Very lovely post @eksmama01 ❤️

My DH and I have been together 36 years and will be married 29 years in June.

We grew up a block away from each other
Shared a bus stop starting in 6th grade
We “went together” in middle school and went to school dances
Broke up
Rekindled the relationship the summer before our Senior year (we were 17 & 16)
Got engaged in 1993
Married in 1995

Him and I literally grew up together. I look at him with his grey hair and aging face and I love how I can remember how he looked throughout most of his life. Throughout our ups and downs, I can truthfully say that our marriage is the strongest it’s ever been. I’m grateful for him every day and I pray we still have many years ahead of us ❤️

Since the sweet stories are cheering you up, here's a couple more:

My in-laws met on the ski slopes in NH. My FIL was a ski patroller, my MIL went to ski with her girlfriends. FIL kept telling his best buddy: "Look out for the girl in the pink snowpants!" My husband literally grew up on the ski slopes, and became a patroller himself. By the time we left New Hampshire, my oldest was a ski instructor, #2 was a lift attendant, and #3 was too young to work for pay. So, she would check lift tickets and sweep off the deck, and they'd pay her in chicken fingers and hot cocoa from the snack bar.

My mom's relatives emigrated from Canada, generations ago, to work in the thread/fabric mills in New England. This would have been mid-19th century. My great-grandmother had the job of carrying messages/mail/small items between the factory buildings. There was a guy who worked outside (not sure at what). Every time she would pass, he would yell, "Marry me, Pretty Lady!" She eventually married him, probably just to shut him up!

I knew on the first night I met my wife that I was going to marry her. We met at a local restaurant on a Friday night, September 1978, waiting for a table. She was with her friends and i with mine. It was a long wait for the table so we got to talk quite a bit. As we were getting seated I asked for her number and if she was busy the next night. She said to call her so I did. Our first date was September 21, 1978. We got engaged that Christmas and married 51 weeks later on September 15, 1979. Best decision I ever made. She’s an amazing wife, mother to our two children and an even more amazing grandmother to out 4 grandchildren. I can’t imagine my life would have turned out this good without her!!!

I knew on the first night I met my wife that I was going to marry her. We met at a local restaurant on a Friday night, September 1978, waiting for a table. She was with her friends and i with mine. It was a long wait for the table so we got to talk quite a bit. As we were getting seated I asked for her number and if she was busy the next night. She said to call her so I did. Our first date was September 21, 1978. We got engaged that Christmas and married 51 weeks later on September 15, 1979. Best decision I ever made. She’s an amazing wife, mother to our two children and an even more amazing grandmother to out 4 grandchildren. I can’t imagine my life would have turned out this good without her!!!
I love that you know the date 🥰 I've lost memory of our Dec 96 date, but I do know he hurried back to NC from VA to see me. Lol. From then on I was with him when traveled from the Air Force base to his hometown.

Look, no offense to those still waiting for "their person"...but those who have it, do you ever think holy crap how did this happen????

I know every weekend (I take off the DIS during the week now), I post some random thing. This week I'm posting that my husband LOVES me. Like LOVES ME. No matter how much rich or poor, craziness, fat/skinny, ugly/pretty, sweat pants/fancy....like no matter WHAT this dude has my back.

He has had my back through so much and I just had to do a public shout out. If you don't have it, don't settle. That "person" exists.

Sorry, just had to say it 🥰😃
I "knew: of my now husband since elementary school. He's the oldest of 3 boys ( 4 years older than me) and I went thru all my school years with his middle brother. Growing up, his house was on the path that led to our elementary school. In our teens, he was dating my best friend. I couldn't stand him. Thought he had to know what she was doing all the time and that he was controlling. Turned out my BF was cheating on him left and right. After they broke up, we somehow stayed in touch. Eventually became friends and that turned into best friends. Best friends for many years. It wasn't until my friend was getting married (not the one he dated) and she was having a rough time because many of her family wouldn't attend. I was maid of honor and he went with me as my guest. He was so kind and helpful to my friend. He jumped right in and helped in any way he could. Started seeing him in a different way and we started dating a month later. Even at our wedding, the best man wrote about how we met, how long we've known each other. It was so sweet. If someone was to tell me that we'd end up together, especially in our childhood and teens, I would of said they were crazy.

I "knew: of my now husband since elementary school. He's the oldest of 3 boys ( 4 years older than me) and I went thru all my school years with his middle brother. Growing up, his house was on the path that led to our elementary school. In our teens, he was dating my best friend. I couldn't stand him. Thought he had to know what she was doing all the time and that he was controlling. Turned out my BF was cheating on him left and right. After they broke up, we somehow stayed in touch. Eventually became friends and that turned into best friends. Best friends for many years. It wasn't until my friend was getting married (not the one he dated) and she was having a rough time because many of her family wouldn't attend. I was maid of honor and he went with me as my guest. He was so kind and helpful to my friend. He jumped right in and helped in any way he could. Started seeing him in a different way and we started dating a month later. Even at our wedding, the best man wrote about how we met, how long we've known each other. It was so sweet. If someone was to tell me that we'd end up together, especially in our childhood and teens, I would of said they were crazy.
I guess you know by now, but I LOVE these stories. Thank you for sharing!!

Well if all else fails, your non Italian supermodel DIS friend is here for you. 🤣
Ha thanks. I was a grad student who walked in to write an exam. She was a Scottish college student who had been a plus size model and was finishing her degree. She was studying for her anatomy final. I was smitten the second I saw her (never finished the exam). She put on her coat and went out for a smoke. It was snowing and three weeks before Xmas. I knew I had one chance. She woke up next to me on Xmas day and we were inseparable. Years later when we returned to Detroit to get married, we took a picture in that very spot.

Ha thanks. I was a grad student who walked in to write an exam. She was a Scottish college student who had been a plus size model and was finishing her degree. She was studying for her anatomy final. I was smitten the second I saw her (never finished the exam). She put on her coat and went out for a smoke. It was snowing and three weeks before Xmas. I knew I had one chance. She woke up next to me on Xmas day and we were inseparable. Years later when we returned to Detroit to get married, we took a picture in that very spot.
Sweet story. ❤️
My hubs is Scottish too. Well also American now.

I am loving all of the love stories .
My parents were married until dad passed.
They met when my mom and her twin went in to Boston to take a sailor to dinner. My mom was with one of his mates and my aunt was paired with my dad. Halfway through the date my aunt asked mom to swap. Dad was head over heels and told me he knew she would be his wife from that first date. My mom on the other hand said she used to sing Duane, Duane go away come again another day to an old tune about the rain. I asked if he swept her off her feet but he said he wore her down. They were best friends and definitely my relationship goal.

It wasn’t exactly this way (I’m not a farm boy) …but actually was a little close. 14 years later, we still shamelessly make out like teenagers. I’m the happiest I’ve ever been in a relationship.
View attachment 825769

You remind me a little of my middle DS. Met his wife (my awesome DIL) in Detroit back in '09. He was a small town guy having just graduated from UDM and she was from Troy. Her family was Polish. They fell in love and he proposed to her four year later on top of a mountain south of Krakow, Poland while they were visiting her Grandma. When they married in 2014 he spoke his vows in Polish. They will be celebrating their 10th year anniversary in Charleston, SC. where they now live.

Nice little twist....our own Dan Murphy met my son at a DIS Meet here in Lansing, MI when my DS was 15. :love:

It wasn’t exactly this way (I’m not a farm boy) …but actually was a little close. 14 years later, we still shamelessly make out like teenagers. I’m the happiest I’ve ever been in a relationship.
View attachment 825769
I love this. One of the reasons I knew DH was a keeper was that he checked a book out from the library called "How to read music." I'm a musician and he had very little musical experience. That was definitely a "wow" moment for me.

I was 19. I wasn’t looking for a new boyfriend let alone a husband. Was in a very busy stage in life - had moved to a new location with my family from where I’d grown up, moved out of my house, was going to college full time and started a new job. There was a guy there - my boss - and we hit it off pretty good. Chatted a lot, and had so much in common. Neither of us really liked our location, but we were making do. One day, out of the blue, I was watching him leave for the day and I found myself standing there (like an idiot) with tears streaming down my face. (Huh? What’s this all about??) I guess it was some sort of visceral reaction, and it surprised me. He must’ve felt it, too, because soon he asked me to go to the Christmas party with him and we had our first kiss on the dance floor at a New Year’s Eve party a few weeks later. We’ve been together now for 43 years this year, and I always say he’s the best thing that ever happened to me. He still makes me laugh, he’s still very handsome, and he shows me his love every day in how he’s there for me and our family. I couldn’t have asked for a better guy. :lovestruc (I also think the universe was watching out for me because things had been sort of rough up to that point. He helped make it all better and we’ve been a great team.)

Nice thread, @eksmama01!

I just want to give a shout out to three lovely ladies from the Quarantine thread who had these types of relationships, too, but recently lost their beloved spouses, and it’s been so difficult. I know there are others here, too, in the same boat, and it must be hard for them if they’re reading here. I’ll ask them to share, too, if they feel comfortable. I think it helps us all to remember to live in the moment and appreciate what we have today. Hugs all around!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter