spring 2009

Hi guys, just applied for Spring '09 a few days ago and cant wait for my interview Tuesday!
I applied and got accepted for Fall '08, but had to turn it down, so I'm not too worried about the interview. Cant wait to meet you all!

Hi guys, just applied for Spring '09 a few days ago and cant wait for my interview Tuesday!
I applied and got accepted for Fall '08, but had to turn it down, so I'm not too worried about the interview. Cant wait to meet you all!

Good luck!!:thumbsup2

Thanks Joanna!

And anyone else here go to UCF? I'm a sophomore here and since I'm is already in Orlando everyone up here thinks I'm insane for doing the program instead of just getting a regular job there that would work around my class schedule.

I was wondering if you could give some insight on your answers.

Hmmm... well, it's important to be honest and answer how you would truly react. If you have decent judgment, your gut instinct will usually be correct.

I don't remember all of my questions but I know you will get a basic guest service problem-type question. I remember, answering mine by using a formula I learned long ago, and have always followed, "L.A.S.T": Listen. Apologize. Solve. Thank.

1. Listen (truly listen) to what the guest has to say.
2. Apologize for the inconvenience they've experienced.
3. Solve the problem by finding a suitable solution for all involved, or by getting someone who can.
4. Thank the guest for their time and CONTINUED business.

It's okay to be general, and state that you don't know what specific policy is for your work position, but remember those points above. Those are the keys to ALL customer service dealings I have ever been involved in. And remember to be sincere about it. The LAST thing is just a way of remembering that, and do try to fit those ideas into the scenario given to you.

I think the question I got was about a little girl not being tall enough to ride Space Mountain--the only ride she had her heart set on because she wants to be an astronaut.

My answer:
I would first find out the girl's name(let's call her Sarah). I would personally apologize to Sarah, directly, and explain that the rule is there not to prevent her from having fun, but to keep all of our space-travelers safe. I would then try to find a similar-themed (space) ride (such as Astro Orbiter) that Sarah could ride. I would say something like, "Sarah, I think it's really great that you want to be an astronaut! You know we have another ride here for future young astronauts. It's called 'Astro-Orbiter'! It's right over there and I think you are just the right height! Would you like to try it?" Perhaps at this point I could make sure that Sarah gets right onto the Astro-Orbiter, if I was allowed to do so and stay within attraction regulations, or at least point them in the right direction. I would also apologize to Sarah's parents and thank them for understanding.

That's only an example...don't use that, but it's an idea... By doing this I was able to treat Sarah as an individual and important guest. I also immediately get her mind off of feeling bad about being too small to ride, by telling her how great it is that she wants to be an astronaut! Instead of telling her she's out of luck, I try to make the Astro-Orbiter into a magical experience that is just right for HER!...

This example seems longer than it would play out in real life...

Anyhow, if you have a specific question you want advice on, I may be able to better answer or offer some advice... :-) Hope this helps to get the wheels in your head turning in a magical way...

Thank you SO much! That was incredibly helpful. I just feel like i'm at a disadvantage because my previous work experience never dealt directly with customers but I learned a lot about customer service through the business. I just feel like i'm ill prepared for the question "when have you provided excellent customer service?"

I suppose I could make something up but it wouldn't sound sincere. The one question I don't want to be asked is "how would you add handle guests waiting for a ride that was having technical difficulties?" I would apologize and tell them it was for their safety of course, but they can get really upset when they've been waiting for a while XD

Thank you SO much! That was incredibly helpful. I just feel like i'm at a disadvantage because my previous work experience never dealt directly with customers but I learned a lot about customer service through the business. I just feel like i'm ill prepared for the question "when have you provided excellent customer service?"

I suppose I could make something up but it wouldn't sound sincere. The one question I don't want to be asked is "how would you add handle guests waiting for a ride that was having technical difficulties?" I would apologize and tell them it was for their safety of course, but they can get really upset when they've been waiting for a while XD

You're quite welcome!

If you haven't worked directly in guest service, BE HONEST! This way way you can take the opportunity to explain how you would provide excellent guest service, or what excellent guest service means to you... I wouldn't recommend making something up. I've also heard of recruiters asking about a time you may have received excellent guest service somewhere and then asking what made that service superior to you.

As for the "technical difficulties" scenario, remember this: You can't please everyone, all of the time, no matter how hard you try. Granted, at Disney, we do strive to please everyone. At the end of the day though, rules are rules and attractions go down. This is unavoidable.

Perhaps, an acceptable answer would be something along the lines of: "I would apologize to guest for the attraction being down, assure him that we are doing everything possible to get the attraction running again as soon as possible, and advise him to check back in X amount of time to see if it's back up. In the meantime, I would suggest a different attraction(s) which might be of interest to him. Before he leaves, I would thank him for his patience and understanding."

As you can see, guest service is fairly simple in theory. Yes there are times and particular guests which can be exceptionally difficult. You must remember that rules are rules and to put yourself in their position. Commiserating can go a long way ;-) Always try to look for a positive and replace "lost magic" with new... The guests know these things aren't usually you're fault, so by giving a sincere apology and showing you care about them individually, even the most difficult guest will usually come around...

Usually...

I have a story of a difficult guest where she didn't come around, but I followed company policy and politely, apologetically held my ground. She was furious, took my name and said she would be turning me in. A coordinator was standing about 5 feet away, eavesdropping the entire time. After she stormed off(following 10 minutes of ranting at me), my coordinator came over, smirking, and asked what that was about. I explained all the way up to her threatening to have my job. He laughed and said, "Well, I saw the whole thing, and you did exactly what you are supposed to do. You have nothing to worry about. Rules are rules...some people just can't handle it." I never heard about it again :-)

I'm sure you'll be fine... Don't stress. Be creative, but reasonable. Like I said, I think the interviews are kind of fun :confused3

Don't worry about it! When I applied for my first CP, I had never had a real job before. My CP was my first real job. Just be yourself and be honest, and you'll be fine.:)

Wow, you've really put my fears at ease! Thank you so much. I think i'm going to be fine. I just really want to do this and I don't want to screw it up XD

Do you know how many people they turn down for thier programs?

Wow, you've really put my fears at ease! Thank you so much. I think i'm going to be fine. I just really want to do this and I don't want to screw it up XD

Do you know how many people they turn down for thier programs?

I don't know an exact number. But the majority are turned down because there is no more room left, or the roles they picked were full.

Hi everyone, I'm a mom of a college student who isn't so sure he's ready for the CP - he's just going into his second year - and his second semester in Hotel/Resort Management major, I'm more looking into this than he is at this point and I'm hoping you guys can answer some questions for me.

I was looking at Disney's CP site and from I can gather first he has to fill out and submit his application, then print it and then bring it to his college presentation? Is this correct?

Once at the presentation, he can set up an interview? Correct?

If he gets the interview, and gets accepted for the Spring 09 CP, how does this affect his college semester? Will he earn any credits during his time in Disney that will be applied to his major? Will attending the CP mean he'll have to do an extra semester in order to fulfill his credits before graduating college?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to having a kid in college and even newer to the Disney CP. Just trying to understand it.

Thanks,

Hi everyone, I'm a mom of a college student who isn't so sure he's ready for the CP - he's just going into his second year - and his second semester in Hotel/Resort Management major, I'm more looking into this than he is at this point and I'm hoping you guys can answer some questions for me.

I was looking at Disney's CP site and from I can gather first he has to fill out and submit his application, then print it and then bring it to his college presentation? Is this correct?

If he gets the interview, and gets accepted for the Spring 09 CP, how does this affect his college semester? Will he earn any credits during his time in Disney that will be applied to his major? Will attending the CP mean he'll have to do an extra semester in order to fulfill his credits before graduating college?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to having a kid in college and even newer to the Disney CP. Just trying to understand it.

Thanks,

First, his school may or may not host a presentation. Either way it doesn't really matter because there is an online presentation you can view. I would recommend doing this because it's much quicker and it's the exact same information. Once you view it online you can call and set up an interview. They will ask you for a confirmation code that you will get once you view the presentation online.

Now, regarding credits that also depends on the school. There is a list of schools on the Disney site that will tell you if they will count the classes offered during the program or not and up to how many credits you can earn. Some schools do but many do not.

Most likely he will not. So, it will put him back a semester in terms of time but if his major is Hotel/Resort Management than he will have an incredible experience. Disney is about as good as it gets when it comes to hotels and resorts. It will provide him with beneficial contacts that he can use when he gets done with college. He may not want to take the time off but, in my opinion, it will be well worth the experience, knowledge, and contacts gained.

Thanks,

If he is attending a presentation, yes. If he views the presentation online, then no.

Yes. After attending/viewing the presentation, he sets up the interview (most likely will be done over the phone).

Credits are up to the school. Some give credit for doing the CP, others don't. Mine does give credits for doing the CP.

Thanks,

It seems the others have mostly covered this, but I have a few thoughts to add.

As his major is directly related to the environment he will be working in, there is a strong possibitlity that some credits may be accepted by the school--at least as elective credit. If not, he always has the option of taking on-line courses through his school, if they offer them, just so he doesn't lose an en entire semester. I remember when I was supposed to go down in 2003 that there were also a list of schools you could apply to for the semester who gave class-equivalent credit, which you could then transfer to your school, but I don't know if they still do this.

If he isn't getting credit somehow, than he wouldn't be enrolled and therefore not paying tuition, so it really wouldn't be adding a semester so much as delaying one...

I don't know what he plans on doing afterward, but my roomie Robyn is a Hotel/Resort Mgt. major. She did the CP in Hospitality at the Polynesian and they offered a job for once she graduated, so opportunities are there.

Good luck to the both of you in making the decision...

I put my application in last night, called this morning to schedule an interview. My interview is at 1:45 on Monday with Rhonda I believe, I'm pretty excited I'm not too nervous but that might change by Monday. I hope all goes well!!!!!:thumbsup2

Hey, my interview's with Rhonda at 11:15 on Monday! :) Although that's MST, so 1:15 EST. So I might be right before you.

It seems the others have mostly covered this, but I have a few thoughts to add.

As his major is directly related to the environment he will be working in, there is a strong possibitlity that some credits may be accepted by the school--at least as elective credit. If not, he always has the option of taking on-line courses through his school, if they offer them, just so he doesn't lose an en entire semester. I remember when I was supposed to go down in 2003 that there were also a list of schools you could apply to for the semester who gave class-equivalent credit, which you could then transfer to your school, but I don't know if they still do this.

If he isn't getting credit somehow, than he wouldn't be enrolled and therefore not paying tuition, so it really wouldn't be adding a semester so much as delaying one...

I don't know what he plans on doing afterward, but my roomie Robyn is a Hotel/Resort Mgt. major. She did the CP in Hospitality at the Polynesian and they offered a job for once she graduated, so opportunities are there.

Good luck to the both of you in making the decision...

Thank you for this information. I have one more question, is this something he should do asap, or is it something he can wait to do next year? He really is just going into the second semester of this major, because he changed after the first semester in his first year. I'm wondering if I'm rushing him to look at this.....

It's certainly something he can wait to do; however, there are other advantages to completing your CP early in your college career. By completing a program early, you become eligible for Professional Internships(PI)--salaried opportunities, often in management roles. These programs are highly competitive compared to the CP as positions are limited. You can also complete additional CPs in new roles and experience new courses which allow you to network with new people in the company.

Don't worry about it being too early. I was supposed to complete my first program after only 1 semester of college. In the end, I had to decline my offer as a character performer due to insurance. I regretted this decision for 4 years, and upon graduation, I was heading for WDW. My CP was one of the best times of my life, comparable only to the time I'm spending in Europe now. In order for me to be considered for a PI, I would have had to go directly into the PI from my CP and they aren't fond of that it seems. I wish I had gotten that opportunity. Instead, in January, I'll be heading down full-time. I can't wait, but I'll be entering at entry-level again...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter