• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sprong Break '04 Changed, What to do re: Dolphin Ressie?

Bill From PA

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That
I have three rooms booked at Dolphin next spring, two from 2/27 - 3/7 and one from 2/27 - 3/1. The college where I work and teach just changed the Spring Break from 'my' week to a week later. I called SPG today and they don't have any rooms at the Teacher's rate for the week that is now Spring Break. I could get away for the original week I booked, but would like not to miss class. Any hope that Dolphin will release more rooms at the lower rate? Any advice?

Thanks,
Bill From PA

Use Dreams or call the Swan and DOlphin directly. The teacher rate and nurse rate are not Starwood discounts, but Swan and DOlphin discounts and have not been offered through them in the past. They may have been thinking a goverment rate. The number is 1-800-227-1500 good luck

Originally posted by Bill From PA
I could get away for the original week I booked, but would like not to miss class. Thanks,
Bill From PA

You would really cancel classes for a week to go to Disney? That can't be what you mean! When my students miss a week of class to go on vacation they are counted as unexcused absences. Just my opinion, but I would hate to make myself an exception to the class rules!

As for the ressies, I would also check directly with S/D and also with DU. I have heard that DU in particular has a knack for finding these discounted rooms.

Good luck!

Mainebound,

That's exactly what I meant. We had planned far in advance for a Nov. trip to WDW last year and two teaching opportunities came up after airfare was paid for, so the students got a short break from me in exchange for an extra programming project. We finished the syllabus in both classes. In that case, they needed me ASAP and had to accept my prior commitment. In this case, I scheduled our trip for the posted Spring Break week and the college pulled the rug out from under me and others. On the advice of a reservation agent I spoke with @ Dolphin, I'll continue to call every 3 - 4 weeks to push the ressies back a week at the current rate, but I promised 7 people a week at the Dolphin and I'm going to deliver, but not at rack rate.

Bill From PA

No matter what, go and have a wonderful time! Your students will understand and be fine! We NEED vacations to refuel, regroup and to carry-on!

Originally posted by Bill From PA
Mainebound,

That's exactly what I meant. We had planned far in advance for a Nov. trip to WDW last year and two teaching opportunities came up after airfare was paid for, so the students got a short break from me in exchange for an extra programming project. We finished the syllabus in both classes. In that case, they needed me ASAP and had to accept my prior commitment. In this case, I scheduled our trip for the posted Spring Break week and the college pulled the rug out from under me and others. On the advice of a reservation agent I spoke with @ Dolphin, I'll continue to call every 3 - 4 weeks to push the ressies back a week at the current rate, but I promised 7 people a week at the Dolphin and I'm going to deliver, but not at rack rate.

Bill From PA

Oops -- I didn't realize you were a member of the underappreciated and overexploited adjunct professor force (I am totally serious. The situation of part time faculty is a national embarrassment, IMHO.). They are lucky to get you!! I didn't mean to sound judgmental. I have a (full time, tenured) colleague who routinely takes school time off to go to Hawaii and did it just a few weeks ago, much to everyone's irritation. Your situation is totally different. I really hope it works out for you.

--Mainebound

Mainebound,

No offense taken:D As laid back as this place is, they'd have issues if a full-time faculty member intentionally scheduled time off during known school days. I'm still hopeful about moving the week back, though.

Bill From PA

I read on another post that there was an internet only rate at the Dolphin for $125. I haven't looked into it, but that may be a possibility. I can try to search and see on which post I read it, if you would like.

Maggie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter