SSR room - a hot mess UPDATED WITH PICTURES

Oh Yuck Oh gross,,This is not what a "Disney deluxe resort" should ever look like.
I think you are entitled to all of the points returned and an apology for not moving you and your family when you requested they do so.

* Sewer gases* are obnoxious and can become Toxic' they should moved this family for health reasons alone.

Best wishes to you and I'm sorry you had to go through this.
Hugs Mel

That room was beyond nasty. I've encounter wear and tear at every resort except AKV but I've never seen anything like this. :scared1::sick:

I could have lived with everything BUT the sewer smell. I would have camped in the lobby in my pjs, and /or spoke loudly about my problems to the manager using the words "it made me puke" until I got service.

If you smell noxious gas and the Hotel will not check itCall the fire dept.

Do not assume that it is just unpleasant.Let the profesionals come and check.

Onethe Fire dept arrives I am pretty sure the hotel will adress your Issue.

I AM NOT SAYING TO CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT JUST TO GET BETTER SERVICE from hotel.

I am saing if there is a possible gas in your room and the hotel will not invesitigate then you need to call someone who will come and make sure there are no dangerous levelsof CO.2
Particulary with a child in the room.

I love this idea for this situation. Great thread, the bathroom issue would be the deal breaker for me.

Wow, it sounds like the OP is living Groundhog Day I feel bad that this is happening :(

Something in the system is broke :/

It surprises me SSR management seems to be doing nothing. Last year, it took SSR an hour to make new room keys for my segmented reservation. In my mind I was going to be happy if I kept the same room (and did not have to pack and move). After waiting, DS needed a potty break, I came back to the desk, and they were apologetic for the wait and offered us a room credit. I was blown away! Perhaps that was the previous manager mentioned earlier and the new manager does not care? Hopefully Disney sends some pixie dust your way!

Those pics remind me of our first DVC stay at OKW & the value resorts at Disneyland Paris. Luckily our stay at SSR was perfect and I'm sorry you were stuck with such a bad unit. I know that feeling. I guess standards vary across the board with Disney these days. :sad2:

I could have lived with everything BUT the sewer smell. I would have camped in the lobby in my pjs, and /or spoke loudly about my problems to the manager using the words "it made me puke" until I got service.

I'm with you on this one. Dirt and disrepair...I would be disappointed but could tolerate it. Bad and/or possibly noxious fumes...no way! Especially with my son's asthma!

Well, I hope that someone over at Disney reads this thread and realizes there is a very large problem over at SSR.

I'm with you on this one. Dirt and disrepair...I would be disappointed but could tolerate it. Bad and/or possibly noxious fumes...no way! Especially with my son's asthma!

I learned a long time ago...even if you are calm...you never calmly say..."The house is on fire." You must say...."THE HOUSE IS ON FIRE!!!!!"

It always gets the right response.

Well, I hope that someone over at Disney reads this thread and realizes there is a very large problem over at SSR.

I am sorry your room was less than it should be, but a very large problem in my opinion is a huge overstatement.

Many guests myself included have stayed there recently without any problems. So while I agree that particular room needs some repair, to state the entire resort has a "very large problem" is not accurate in my opinion.

This is not a problem that just SSR has either, every single resort at Disney has had less than favorable reviews at one time or the other.

I am sorry your room was less than it should be, but a very large problem in my opinion is a huge overstatement.

Many guests myself included have stayed there recently without any problems. So while I agree that particular room needs some repair, to state the entire resort has a "very large problem" is not accurate in my opinion.

This is not a problem that just SSR has either, every single resort at Disney has had less than favorable reviews at one time or the other.

Sammie -- I agree that saying SSR has a very large problem is overstating it...but that room did have a very large problem.

Sewer smell ....:sick::sick::sick:

I've stayed at SSR 3 times and had severe room issues twice. I would say that 2 out of 3 stays with problems is a sign that there is a large problem with the resort. I've also had major issues at BLT on 3 different occasions. For what it's worth, I've stayed at VWL several times and have always had an immaculate room. Hmmm... In my opinion, the root of the problem at SSR is below standard maintenance and housekeeping. The room issues at BLT are a result of cheap furnishings and appliances which are falling apart after less than 2 years of being in service. Let's hope DVC has learned from their mistakes and will build the Grand Floridian Villas with higher standards.

I've stayed at SSR 3 times and had severe room issues twice. I would say that 2 out of 3 stays with problems is a sign that there is a large problem with the resort. I've also had major issues at BLT on 3 different occasions. For what it's worth, I've stayed at VWL several times and have always had an immaculate room. Hmmm... In my opinion, the root of the problem at SSR is below standard maintenance and housekeeping. The room issues at BLT are a result of cheap furnishings and appliances which are falling apart after less than 2 years of being in service. Let's hope DVC has learned from their mistakes and will build the Grand Floridian Villas with higher standards.

I have stayed over 15 times at SSR and never had a problem; my 15 trumps your 2 out of 3. ;) In fact SSR and Kidani are the only resorts we have "not" have problems.

My point is that this is a Disney wide problem of random housekeeping and maintenance issues. It is not a SSR problem. I have read similar reviews at all of Disney resorts.

But it is something that needs to be addressed, and now.

People spend thousands of dollars to buy into DVC with the intention of returning over and over for years to come. It becomes a problem if the resorts are so bad that people no longer want to stay in them.Then they have spent ALL this money on a place they no longer wish to use because it is not kept up to par.

I have stayed over 15 times at SSR and never had a problem; my 15 trumps your 2 out of 3. ;) In fact SSR and Kidani are the only resorts we have "not" have problems.

My point is that this is a Disney wide problem of random housekeeping and maintenance issues. It is not a SSR problem. I have read similar reviews at all of Disney resorts.

Wow, 15 visits to SSR without a single room issue. Maybe I have a black storm cloud following me around when I visit Disney World! :confused: Regardless of the resort in question, DVC Members should never experience room issues similar to the ones we have experienced. There is simply no excuse. DVC receives our Annual Dues to cover these issues. I stayed at BLT in room 8002 during June 2010 and experienced room issues with poor air conditioning, damaged furniture, beat up refrigerator, heavily damaged dining room table, and filthy carpet. I reported all issues to the hotel manager and wrote a letter to the DVC Member Satisfaction Team. The hotel manager gave me $400 room credit and I received a courtesy phone call from the DVC Member Satisfaction Team. Everyone thanked me for bringing this matter to their attention and assured me that this was not typical of a DVC resort and all issues would be resolved immediately. We returned to BLT the following year once again for a vacation in June 2011. Guess what??? We were assigned room 8002 AGAIN and NONE of the issues had been resolved since the previous year! I immediately went to the front desk and alerted the Manager of Guest Operations. He assigned me another room, which we had to wait 3 hours before entering, and this room was in horrible condition too. :scared1: I emailed the DVC Team that day and informed them of my problems and that this was not acceptable and would not be tolerated. I still had the previous email I sent them from 2010 and their reply stating that the issues would be addressed immediately. They had no ground to stand on and compensated me graciously. We ended up getting one of the upper management people involved from DVC and he socked it to the management at BLT. Evidentally, BLT was supposed to have addressed the issues from my 2010 complaint but failed to do so. I am amazed that you have been fortunate enough to have experienced 15 trouble free visits. Consider yourself very lucky!

Wow, 15 visits to SSR without a single room issue. Maybe I have a black storm cloud following me around when I visit Disney World! :confused: Regardless of the resort in question, DVC Members should never experience room issues similar to the ones we have experienced. There is simply no excuse. DVC receives our Annual Dues to cover these issues. I stayed at BLT in room 8002 during June 2010 and experienced room issues with poor air conditioning, damaged furniture, beat up refrigerator, heavily damaged dining room table, and filthy carpet. I reported all issues to the hotel manager and wrote a letter to the DVC Member Satisfaction Team. The hotel manager gave me $400 room credit and I received a courtesy phone call from the DVC Member Satisfaction Team. Everyone thanked me for bringing this matter to their attention and assured me that this was not typical of a DVC resort and all issues would be resolved immediately. We returned to BLT the following year once again for a vacation in June 2011. Guess what??? We were assigned room 8002 AGAIN and NONE of the issues had been resolved since the previous year! I immediately went to the front desk and alerted the Manager of Guest Operations. He assigned me another room, which we had to wait 3 hours before entering, and this room was in horrible condition too. :scared1: I emailed the DVC Team that day and informed them of my problems and that this was not acceptable and would not be tolerated. I still had the previous email I sent them from 2010 and their reply stating that the issues would be addressed immediately. They had no ground to stand on and compensated me graciously. We ended up getting one of the upper management people involved from DVC and he socked it to the management at BLT. Evidentally, BLT was supposed to have addressed the issues from my 2010 complaint but failed to do so. I am amazed that you have been fortunate enough to have experienced 15 trouble free visits. Consider yourself very lucky!

I don't think its so much about luck, or lack of but just Murphy's law, at some time we are all going to get the less than perfect room. I seem to always get them at the BWV but yet I know many others that don't.

As long as the room is clean and things worked, lights, air, stove, frig. etc I am pleased. Wear and tear do not bother me as I know guests are very rough on Disney rooms.

Getting the same bad room twice though I would say would question my Disney luck or lack of, hopefully next time will be better. If you get the same one at check in simply say No thank you.

15 trouble free visits is just at SSR, we have had over 40 visits to Disney resorts and only about 3 rooms that were not acceptable.

92.5 % acceptability rating...not that great considering the buy in cost and maintenance fees. I would expect Disney to be closer to 98% satisfaction rating. Not sure what the industry average is though...

Going in at each visit with a 7.5% chance that my room is going to be sub par...not doin' it for me.

Posts from DVC member excusing this type of issue is exactly why these issues stay unresolved in the first place ..before people let it slide. I would be interested to know why a simple inspection process cant occur at least bi-weekly across every room in every resort with the output being a checklist of maint issues needing fixing. Yes it would be require a few more headcount .. but I cant imagine the extra 10 cents per point would really be an issue if it guaranteed a clean room for every member.

By looking at the pictures, the room in this thread was NOT done after one stay by a destructive member or guest .. it was the result of no attention after repeated guests stayed in there.

92.5 % acceptability rating...not that great considering the buy in cost and maintenance fees. I would expect Disney to be closer to 98% satisfaction rating. Not sure what the industry average is though...

Going in at each visit with a 7.5% chance that my room is going to be sub par...not doin' it for me.

Good grief, I am not the statistic for Disney, just sharing my particular experiences. I really think some of you read way too much into these discussions. :rotfl2:

Besides all 3 of our less than stellar rooms were resolved that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter