Stacie's Journey for Weight Loss and the 1/2 Marathon Jan 09!

Hello All!

Here's quick recap of my 5K this weekend. It was HOT, HOT, HOT and HUMID, HUMID, HUMID! I think it was already in the 80s when we started at 8am! It was in Beaufort, NC on front street so there was nice view of the water. All I could think about was how badly I just wanted to go jump in and cool down! :goodvibes

I was up at 6am. Started my day with a nice bowl of Gorilla Munch (a kid's gluten free cereal) I had some gatorade to hydrate and put on all my racing clothes. I walked outside about 6:15 to check out the temps. :eek: OMG! Already so warm and HUMID! This time I actually remembered my knee brace. Yay me. Mom and Matt both backed out this time, so I was on my own. We started just after 8am and the temp was just at 80 degrees w/ the relative humidity at 80%! I turned on my IPOD for my C25K W2D3 and I was off! During the first 1/2 mile, my shin started hurting... I was thinking...Oh my...not already, not a good sign. When I started my first run interval, the shin calmed down. I made it though and thought I would still do the interval until I finished...It was not to be so today. The sun beating down along with the heat and humidity...It just wasn't to be. I actually got a bit nauseated and decided then I would just walk the rest of it.

At the finish, They had icey cold towels!!! They were wonderful!!! I wrapped up in my cold towels, had some yummy oranges and then we went shopping! Had I know I'd be soaking from 1) sweating, 2) running through sprinklers 3) the cold towel dripping on me, I would have brought more clothes... Shopping when wet is not all that great...

Overall, it was ok race for me. I would do it again next year, but I think I will definately be more prepared for the heat and also just physically and mentally. It's tough knowing this is my 5th 5K and yet my slowest. Maybe next year, I'll do the 10K. It was very friendly for baby joggers. LOTS of them there and some of the guys pushing them were really moving!!!

Since Matt did not do it with me, he tooks a few pics:

Here you can see the line for those that had pre-registered. Check out the fancy card-board signs!

dec42cf4.jpg

Here's me hanging out before the race:

00000aef.jpg

Here I come! HI THERE!

2397d37e.jpg

There I go!

fde6d2de.jpg

Part of the scenery!

3b8997bb.jpg

Almost done!

bcfd6118.jpg

These cold towels are heaven!!!

89ca7bcb.jpg

29a83b7c.jpg

YUM! Best orange EVER! and WORST pic EVER!

35ecd12c.jpg

Great job on another race Stacie! I don't know how you did it in that heat and humidity. Loved the pictures, I can see muscles in those calves of yours! Great job doing that all by yourself in the heat.:thumbsup2

Hi, sweetie. GREAT JOB on the race - I don't think I would have been that committed, especially in the face of the heat and humidity. Pretty scenery to run/walk through, though. Be proud of yourself - YOU DID IT!

Hope you have a great day!:hug:

Susan

Great job on the race, especially with all of the heat and humidity!!!:cheer2: I am so proud of you!:hug:

Have a great week ahead!:hug:

Great pics Stacie :)
i dont know how you did it in that heat & humidity - but you did it!! & well done :)
Sounds like a great plan sticking with the gluten free diet for a while.
Way to go on the shopping trip :)

Stacie,
The heat and humidity do it to all of us.You were committed to doing the race and you did.Feel proud!

The scenary was gorgeous and I bet the water was calling you the whole time.I love the area in Beaufort/Hilton Head.Have you thought of doing the Hilton Head 1/2 in the spring I think it is.

Have a great one,
Linda

Hello all! Just wanted to let you know that life is still moving along... My workouts have been lacking though so not too much to report. We've been looking at bikes, but they are so expensive. I'd like to get a Trek bike, but the one I am looking at w/ tax and all will close to $500!

I was hoping to bike or swim last night, but Matt decided he wanted to buy and aquarium so that took most of our time and I didn't get it in. ugh. :headache: I hope to get my C25K in tonight. I'm on Week 3. I just couldn't get up this morning and do it.

I guess that's about it for now. Not too much exciting going on...

Stacie

Stacie, glad to see things are going well! If that bike is something you want I say go for it! I mean, its an investment for recreation and fun as well as health and fitness. Let us know if you get it and then if you do, post some pictures of you out riding your new toy!

Keep up the good work, summer can be long and hot, you are doing really well.:thumbsup2

Hi Stacie,
Another hot one in this area.Tough to maintain consistant workouts so I know what you are feeling.

I signed up for the full and now think I was crazy!I should have done the half except I already did a half in April and will do the Applefest in Oct.as I said.
So I guess I should be challenging myself with the full.The real challenge will be getting a flight.Don't want to book too soon and have it cancelled on us.

Do you bike alot? This probably sounds lame but if you don't why not go to a store like Target or something and just pick up a bike.Or even like Toys Are Us?But if you are a serious biker disregard that ;)

Have a great one,
Linda

Just popping in here to say hi and to ask you if you got your C25K done.

And add me to the list of people who think a decent bike is an investment worth making. I have a Bianchi, a hybrid mountain/urban bike, which was quite an upgrade from my $10 Schwinn. It's made a world of difference in how long, hard, and much I'm willing to ride. So I think you can justify it as a two-fer--entertainment and exercise.

FWIW, you could visit a bike shop and tell them your wants/needs for a bike. They'll give you a tutorial, recommend certain bikes, allow you to take them out for a spin. That will give you some good information if you wanted to look for used bikes. And sometimes bike places--not familiar with Trek--will have secondhand bikes you can purchase. Or end-of-the-season sales.

Also, I got this link from an old WISH thread and saved it in my bookmarks for future reference: http://www.findmeabicycle.com/Home_Page.html
I hope it helps!

Hi Stacie. Yep I agree with the rest of the crowd, you deserve a bike. You worked hard reward yourself.

Visiting Panda:hippie:

buy the bike!!
If Matt can have an aquarium you can have a bike ;)

buy the bike!!

I like how you think, Tracey!:thumbsup2

I think the bike is a great idea! :goodvibes If the exact one you want is a little too steep in price, maybe you can find something comparable at Dick's Sporting Goods or a store like that. Or maybe you can post on Craigslist that you are looking for one and see if anyone has one that they don't use anymore. :)

I hope you have a great evening!:hug:

buy the bike!!

LOL! That's funny. I think we are actually going to look this afternoon. I know which one I want. It's Trek FX 7.2 WSS (Women's Specific Design). I really like the 2008 model. The color is a nice light blue gloss. ALL of the stores around here are out of them. They are starting to get in the 2009, but they color is a Darker Navy Blue, matte...no sheen. It also has a white seat. I don't think this one is a pretty... I'll see it in person this afternoon though.

I'll let you guys know what happens! :thumbsup2

Stacie

Guess who has a new bike??? Me ME ME!!! :goodvibes We went Friday afternoon and Matt and I both got new bikes. We were able to test them on Sunday! I got in Week 3 of C25K last week. After Day 3 on Sunday, we went for an 8.8 mile bike ride. We were super slow compared to other bikers, but since we're just starting out, I'm not complaining... It was nice. There is no way we could have gone this far on our old mountain bikes. I think we made a good choice with this Fitness bike. If we stick with it, maybe in a few year, we'll get a road bike. The good thing is on this bike, it takes the 700 size tires, but they are a 35. If we decide to, we can later get the 25...the size for more road bike types. Now we just have to get a trailer hitch put on one of the vehicles for transporting them for the weekly rides up here in Cary if we decide to do that. It's a 90 min ride and I'm know if my booty is not ready for that yet! :laughing:

Here's a pic for your viewing pleasure of new bike. It's a Trek FX 7.2 WSD.

79d4d40e.jpg

a2092e29.jpg

I also wanted to share a pic or two of a few special fish with you...See the Mickey Mouse fish???

5fc38ad5.jpg

b5c3bec1.jpg

Matt definately likes riding the bikes more than running. He doesn't mind walking he says, but he's just not into running. I sure hope he decides to train some with me for the 1/2 Marathon. I'm a little worried about that.

Hope everyone is well!!!
Stacie

Love the new bike, Stacie!!!! Great choice!:thumbsup2

We were at the pet store a couple of weeks ago and saw the Mickey Mouse fish for the first time. That is so cool that you got one!:goodvibes

Hope you have a great day today!:hug:

Hi, sweetie! Sorry I haven't posted on your journal in so long - LTO sometimes!

Congrats on your new bike. And don't worry about Matt - he will help you get ready for the 1/2, because he wants you to be successful at it and he knows you are counting on his support. It sounds like biking will be a great help in diversifying your exercise routine, so I think you did good!

I LOVE the Mickey Mouse fish. Is that what it's really called? Do they all have a Mickey Mouse shape on them? I know nothing about fish, but if so, that's the coolest thing I've ever seen/heard.

Hope you have a great day - later, sunshine!

Susan

HI guys! So...Last night I attempted to swim laps without drowning myself. It went ok. I was out there about a 1/2 hr. The swim cap definately helps keep my hair out of my face, but hair still gets wet underneath. Overall I think it went well and I'll try a few more times to see if I improve any. I think I may still want to take lessons. I felt like when I would take a breath, my legs would sink some and I would get a bit of water in my mouth... yuk.

Susan...HI! The Mickey Mouse fish are called that. You can see a mickey head near their tail. We only have two mickeys--The white one and the orange one. We had one that was more red, but it died. :sad1:

That's all from me!

Thanks for popping in!
Stacie

Hi Stacie!!! :wave:

CONGRATS on the new bike!! How exciting and what a great option for cross-training (and preparing for that tri!!!). :cool1:

I'm also very impressed with the idea that you swam your laps yesterday...awesome job!!!! :goodvibes

Hope you and Matt are doing well...I know I've been totally MIA around here but I do think of you often and follow along with your training!!!! :hug:

Stacie are you going to the ToT? A lot of us walkers are going, we have been doing our planning for that and the January marathon weekend over at my walking log on DisneyRunning.com You go to the forum and scroll down to the walking section and it's under the Beginners section.

The bike will help you vary your exercise routine. Have I told you about my theories about that?

Cool fish.

Visiting Panda:hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter