• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

STAR WARS: GALACTIC STARCRUISER Official Information & Questions Thread

That lasted long. . . go figure. People aren't made of money. This type of boutique experience is fine but not sustainable in my opinion. So al that money to build and so will it just sit there and decay like other Disney rides were abandoned or do we think it is "closed" as the cruiser but will reopen as a "hotel" like it's been said?

edit:

RIP star cruiser. . . hello DVC rooms for points? Just sayin'

That lasted long. . . go figure. People aren't made of money. This type of boutique experience is fine but not sustainable in my opinion. So al that money to build and so will it just sit there and decay like other Disney rides were abandoned or do we think it is "closed" as the cruiser but will reopen as a "hotel" like it's been said?

edit:

RIP star cruiser. . . hello DVC rooms for points? Just sayin'

Well I hope it is the latter. The place does look impressive, though I could never afford a stay there. If they go the route of just a Star Wars themed hotel, I'll book a night. I don't personally care that there is no pool, but maybe they can add one.

From a company balance sheet standpoint, most likely close it down and take a write down on the expense of it and let it sit or bulldoze it.

Its too small to be a normal hotel and make any kind of profit.

It is one of the few failures WDW has had.
I can only think of two biggies
This Star Wars Hotel and the Disney Institute.

I was 100% the target audience for this thing but could never justify the price. I hope they take the land and use it to expand Galaxy's Edge. Take over some of the parking lot, move the Star Tours entrance to the back of the show building and you could even connect that to the land without taking out Muppets Courtyard.

Wow. I wonder how much money they put into it and what kind of profit they got from it. Between the normal culinary and guest service staff and the actors that interact with the guests I image it's an expensive operation just to maintain on a weekly basis.

I love Star Wars and I love interactive theater, so this would have been right up my alley. But I couldn't begin to justify that price point. Sorry that it's closing, but hopefully they'll take the lessons and apply them to something at more of a middle class price point.

Less than 3 months ago, there was a thread on here about what will the starcruiser become when it closes......everyone saw where it was headed and it was likely no surprise to the CM working there since attendance just dropped off after a few months. They pretty much ran through the mega fans that were willing to spend that amount of money in less than 6 months time. imo it was the price of a cruise with very little justifiable cost.

And I think that the itinerary and interactions just don't provide mass appeal. Had they made it a drop in experience tied to some entertainment in SWGE, maybe that would be more palatable, but spending $5K for 2 days of sleeping in a tiny room with my family and having uncomfortable CM interactions about a saga that disney didn't even hatch, that's not my idea of a fun time. But, in the end, the cost definitely killed it as those that did it said it was a good time.

Entirely too expensive. I'm not rich.

But I'm a big Star Wars fan, and I knew I had to go, so I did. I spent $5200 on a room for 2 plus another $1000 on drinks for us while we were there. I don't regret it one bit. I'd even started making tentative plans to go again next year using DVC points. Darn.

Maybe if they didn’t make it so difficult for international visitors to book then more people would have gone if they could afford it.

Entirely too expensive. I'm not rich.

But I'm a big Star Wars fan, and I knew I had to go, so I did. I spent $5200 on a room for 2 plus another $1000 on drinks for us while we were there. I don't regret it one bit. I'd even started making tentative plans to go again next year using DVC points. Darn.
OK I'm intrigued, what sort of drinks did the starcruiser have for $1k? I thought it was only a 2 day voyage?

I did not think it would survive, but I thought it would be more like 3 years before closing not under 2 yearso_O It was to much geared to a very specific group of customers (diehard Star Wars fans) and priced so that you would not get many repeat customers, not to mention it was the very same "show". Heck it only has 100 rooms and they have not been able to fill it for awhile now. My family are not diehard fans and was only a little interested in trying it out, but voted (4-0) to just to go to the parks and to stay longer at WDW and we saved $. I did have a neighbor and a co-worker take their families and they both had the same response. The family members that were really into Star Wars thought it was FANTASTIC, but the family members that were not into Star Wars said it was neat but lost interest because they did not know a lot of the characters etc. and just could not get into it. My neighbor friend actually said that he did get a bit "tired" of trying to answer all the questions his DW and DD were asking "all the time" LOL
BTW, neither family went a 2nd time. I will give WDW credit for trying something different but I still think it was poorly planned. I think they should of had 2 "shows" already planned out and swapped them every 6 month's, to at least try to get repeat customers. I also would have gave a big discount for repeat customers.

I’ll predict that with some cosmetic changes (add pool etc) it will become a deluxe hotel. Possibly with easy access to HS. I just don’t think they’re going to bulldoze it. It’s a unique idea

The price was super high but it was innovative. Not sure Disney will invest in something this different again, which is sad because it definitely was unique
The thing is, it's not unique. Interactive theater has been around for quite awhile now. I'm the artistic director for an interactive show (currently on hold since the pandemic), and they were popping up all over the place pre-pandemic. The only real difference is that most are 2-4 hours long and priced in the $25-$50 range. But any one of us who runs a show could easily turn it into a 2 day experience if we had Disney's budget. And that would run around $600 per person if we just stuck to the going rates for non-Disney interactive. Add in the included food and whatnot, and the hotel night, I could see $1000 per person maybe. But that should be about the upper limit. Disney just got greedy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter