Star Wars: The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread. ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK

My random thoughts...

I think Rey is Luke's daughter and Finn is his son. Finn said he was separated from his parents when he was very young and became a Storm Trooper. Rey "has" the force and is an outstanding pilot (like Luke and Anakin). The lightsaber 'called' to her.

What is the time period supposed to be between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens? While the main characters obviously aged, it doesn't seem immensely so. I figure Ren is in his early 20's.

Why would R2D2 go into "low power mode" when Luke left and pick this exact time to "revive"?
No one could go into a droid's memory?
How does a PART of an map become "missing"? R2D2 has all the map, presumably showing the path of Luke (the red line?) except the final part, but he was in "low power mode" since Luke left.
The First Order had the part of the map that R2 had in his memory banks. Where did they get it?

The First Order came about how? They obviously "took over" the storm troopers, but wasn't the Death Star(s) the central communication points?

The Falcon fires right up after how many YEARS of it sitting neglected? And hitting all the stuff on Jakku didn't affect it's flying ability?

I know a lot of people liked the "familiar", but I thought there was too much familiar... trench runs (two in this movie), the 'bar' with strange creatures, a whiny character trying to control the force, etc.

I was entertained, but it wasn't my favorite. I really wasn't happy with story. The acting and special effects I liked.

My random thoughts...

I think Rey is Luke's daughter and Finn is his son. Finn said he was separated from his parents when he was very young and became a Storm Trooper. Rey "has" the force and is an outstanding pilot (like Luke and Anakin). The lightsaber 'called' to her.

What is the time period supposed to be between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakens? While the main characters obviously aged, it doesn't seem immensely so. I figure Ren is in his early 20's.

Why would R2D2 go into "low power mode" when Luke left and pick this exact time to "revive"?
How does a PART of an map become "missing"? R2D2 has all the map, presumably showing the path of Luke (the red line?) except the final part, but he was in "low power mode" since Luke left.
The First Order had the part of the map that R2 had in his memory banks. Where did they get it?

The First Order came about how? They obviously "took over" the storm troopers, but wasn't the Death Star(s) the central communication points?

The Falcon fires right up after how many YEARS of it sitting neglected? And hitting all the stuff on Jakku didn't affect it's flying ability?

I know a lot of people liked the "familiar", but I thought there was too much familiar... trench runs (two in this movie), the 'bar' with strange creatures, a whiny character trying to control the force, etc.

I was entertained, but it wasn't my favorite. I really wasn't happy with story. The acting and special effects I liked.

I actually thought the same EXACT things at first thought last night...but it's growing on me.

It's not a sequel...it's a reboot. 100%

The acting was the strong point and if you had to have one thing after the prequels - that was it.

Disney was more involved in the story than they let on - my guess. That can be why Lucas was so peeved too...it's plagiarism.

But I think this one won't be scorned even with the near complete rehash. Certainly critics were ok with far more than I would have ever guessed. No oscars though - that's just nuts.

You nailed the R2 thing. He woke up exactly as a certain character entered the room.
And what do we know about r2? He never spills the beans and he takes his orders from only one person. He's the deep throat of Star Wars...or the j Edgar Hoover.

Yeah, I'm a bit lost on this point. I don't see how they possibly gained all this power this quickly. I am looking forward to more info on supreme leader Snoke.

According to IMDB, It's 30 years after ROTJ.

My random thoughts...

I think it is suppose to be 30 years. I can't remember which scroll was correct from when I look online (will ask my fiance when he is done with viewing #2).

I don't think the First Order had the part of the map in R2 memory bank. Remember they all thought what the trusted ally had was the full map. It wasn't until they got it back to the resistance that they realized it was only a partial map and it was BB-8 who thought R2D2 must have had the other part.

The first order came about from the fall of the Empire. Said it in the scroll.

I don't think they could have possibly done explanations of the first order, the resistance, and the republic (that's not looking too good right now) and still do the character development of the new characters.

They had to make
Choices and I think they made the right ones. Just like the original...there is not too much depth to the sides...there are just an acknowledgment that there are sides.

One line in there somewhere was "we can't match that without the republic fleet". Paraphrased

Which I breathed a sigh of relief because that was my favorite part of the original story - the fleets - and the cavalry will show up soon enough.

I don't think they could have possibly done explanations of the first order, the resistance, and the republic (that's not looking too good right now) and still do the character development of the new characters.

They had to make
Choices and I think they made the right ones. Just like the original...there is not too much depth to the sides...there are just an acknowledgment that there are sides.

One line in there somewhere was "we can't match that without the republic fleet". Paraphrased

Which I breathed a sigh of relief because that was my favorite part of the original story - the fleets - and the cavalry will show up soon enough.

I felt like we got a good quick recap at the very beginning. Also with the First Order, I believe they are using some left overs of the Empire, some clones, and then storm troopers like Finn who were snatched at birth and raised for no other purpose than to be a storm trooper.

I'm probably way off base, but I immediately thought that Rey was the twin sister of Ren and like Leia and Luke they'd been separated and Ray hidden for her protection. I thought the scene were she and Leia first see each other was them recognizing each other. Not sure why Hans wouldn't know about her though so I'm probably off.

I felt like we got a good quick recap at the very beginning. Also with the First Order, I believe they are using some left overs of the Empire, some clones, and then storm troopers like Finn who were snatched at birth and raised for no other purpose than to be a storm trooper.

There were no clones left in the Empire. They were decommissioned before A New Hope. The original trilogy were all recruits.

There were no clones left in the Empire. They were decommissioned before A New Hope. The original trilogy were all recruits.

I only assumed clones based on Kylo Rens comment. I thought perhaps to get the numbers back up after the fall of the empire they resorted to use clones again. I see now he could have just been being a jerk and said oh your troops suck maybe we should go back to clones.

Moving my post over from the Community Board.

Kylo Ren is a whiny brat. It's fun to make fun of the original Luke, "I was going to Toshi Station to pick up some power converters." But Hayden Christensen's Anakin is something I could have done without revisiting. Vader was cool, Darth Maul was cool, Kylo Ren is a poser with an anger management problem and I kept thinking of Affluenza Kid. I think they have done a disservice to his character to not explain more about why Ben left Luke. They said, "He has too much of Vader in him." But that felt like a callback to when Aunt Beru said it, and it turned out Luke did not have too much of his father in him after all.

Han's death is the one spoiler I knew, but considering how vocal Harrison Ford has been about wishing Han would have died, and disliking Han as one dimensional vs his other roles, etc I thought it was a "predictable" outcome for his character. And as an actor, I'm not sure Harrison has still got it. I actually thought Carrie did fine. I almost wish Luke hadn't even appeared in the first movie, because I felt like it made the end drag on to the point of being anti-climactic. Save him for the 2nd movie, but in the real world, I'm not sure how that would have gone over.

I did really like Rey, Poe and Finn and of course BB-8. I'm sure JJ was feeling the pressure of having to not only pick up the Star Wars mantle but repair the damage of the prequels. But as much as I liked the homages and callbacks to the original movie, I kept waiting for it to stand on its own, and I didn't feel like it got there. So I ended up feeling like I watched more of a reboot than a sequel.

I think we're venturing into too unrealistic expectations a bit here...

There's no way they could have explained all factors/backstory in the run time.

I think it should have been longer...frankly...but they had to do characters over back story and plot complications.

More to come, people. They can't screen Ben hur now

Look...I'm ultimately the harshest of all things Star Wars (and Disney)

But I strongly feel the kylo ren performance is being misjudged.

The bad, unnecessary reveal and the parents conversation was pretty bad...but not driver.

I think they handled a lot of it subtly well to move the character forward. Now they can screw it up...but right now it's in safe shape.

And darth maul is not cool...he was useless, jet li style nonsense that had one line that made no sense.

Cgi era eye candy.

This movie was not the greatest ever...but not bad at all for a Star Wars that completely had lost its way.

And let's face it...that is what went down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter